* I am sooooooo mad!

I am so mad right now. There is a main road close to where I live and they are building new houses there and because of the construction or I should say incompetent monkies working there several of my neighbors have gotten flat tires this week.

I got a flat tire again today making it my second flat tire in 2 days. My mother just called me and she too got a flat tire from that main road (not one but two flat tires at the same time!). I had a 6 inch nail in my tire yesterday and today I have a 4 inch nail in my tire and am completed stranded and out several hundreds of dollars.

Can't these a**holes in that construction keep their damned nails off the streets? The tires cannot be patched because the nails punctured the sides and this has costed me hundreds of dollars in damages. That is a main road and to go around it is way out of way. Of course I will not be driving on that main road again though.

Isn't there something I can do? I'm definitely going to call the construction place and let them have a piece of my mind but of course they won't care and will just laugh to themselves after I hang up... I've driven next to construction before and have never seen anything like this before in my life.

Got to love people incompetent people. Makes me sick!

Re: I am sooooooo mad!

Originally posted by Frosty
    I'm definitely going to call the construction place and let them have a piece of my mind but of course they won't care and will just laugh to themselves after I hang up... I've driven next to construction before and have never seen anything like this before in my life.

Got to love people incompetent people. Makes me sick!

Perhaps you should be a little more constuctive. Calling them to "give them a piece of your mind" will probably result in exactly as you describe.

Perhaps the management is not aware of this shoddy workmanship and would appreciate a reasonable call pointing out where they could improve or that their employees are creating a hazard.

Happens everywhere, all the time. Simplys sucks. I had two flat tires by driving on a 'constructioned' road in the past as well. Those are the only flat tires i had so far.

Perhaps it's a pact between the construction and tire companies.

call your city's code enforcement. I'm sure they are violating something by allowing those big nails being in the road.
    Kerry Jones

blue27, I didn't mean that I'm going to call them and curse them out of course. I am going to call them and let them know what is going on. I am just a bit peeved right now and in a bad mood, this is the hundreth thing today that has gone wrong and I had things to do.

I have to take a taxi to tire kingdom tomorrow morning, buy a new tire and put it on the rim... taxi back home and put the new tire on because I'm stranded.

Four of my neighbors have flat tires, I have two flats and my mother who doesn't even live here, she just drives that main road... just got two flats at the same time with thick 5 inch nails.

From now on if I see construction, I'm driving far far away from it.

Kerry Jones, yah I'm planning on doing that

get some firestone run-flats! I saw an ad for them a couple days ago, its a pact for sure.

also, I think you and your neighbors should get together and talk about being refunded for the damage the company has caused so far. If you were to have groups in numbers i'm sure the construction company would pay the costs of the tires. Its worth a try.
    Kerry Jones

Send them a repair bill, along with the nail they took out of your tire.
    Dan Sheppard ~ Freelance whatever

The nails really are super big, I had a 6 incher in one flat. Yikes.

I bet you that they are all over the road if I walked and took a look but you can't see them while driving because you're going to fast to be able to. I'm stranded and have no food, guess I'll order a pizza. Now I've lost at least $300

Originally posted by Frosty
    blue27, I didn't mean that I'm going to call them and curse them out of course. I am going to call them and let them know what is going on. I am just a bit peeved right now and in a bad mood, this is the hundreth thing today that has gone wrong and I had things to do.

I have to take a taxi to tire kingdom tomorrow morning, buy a new tire and put it on the rim... taxi back home and put the new tire on because I'm stranded.

Four of my neighbors have flat tires, I have two flats and my mother who doesn't even live here, she just drives that main road... just got two flats at the same time with thick 5 inch nails.

From now on if I see construction, I'm driving far far away from it.

Kerry Jones, yah I'm planning on doing that
    I hope you are compensated Frosty. It is very annoying to have this kind of thing happen.

For future reference, there is a product I am never without in my car. You will find it under various names. It's an aerosol spray that you inject through the air stem of a punctured tire. It refills the tire with air and seals the puncture temporarily until you get to the service station.
    I have driven over 80 miles on one of these quick repair jobs.

Nice advice Sheeps, i am loving it
    This happened to Frosty coz of their
    negligence & they should pay her
    back.

@Frosty
    I think you should either complain them
    about this or you can also contact the
    appropriate authorities. I mean any city
    council or something which is responsible
    to keep your city clean.
    And for the time you should find another
    way home lol ... I guess you're quite
    angry & i shouldn’t be joking here!!
    Anyways, what happened to you is alone
    enough to flare some one up.
    We've cleaned up the air, but polluted our souls,
    We've conquered the atom, but not our prejudice,
    We write more, but learn less.
    [WHTHOLIC]

I bet you that they are all over the road if I walked and took a look but you can't see them while driving because you're going to fast to be able to. I'm stranded and have no food, guess I'll order a pizza. Now I've lost at least $300
    Well if you order a pizza order it through http://www.pizzahut.com - i've found that if you order a medium stuff crust with 1 topping you can get it for $11.40 and more than enough for 1 person. I figure with a medium (not sure how much you eat) but it could last you 2 days. I was also going to suggest a tire sealant from a convience store, but blue was kind enough to point it out.
    Kerry Jones

Thanks, I'll try all the suggesstions.

Guess I'll just order a pizza and get on with it

I'll call them tomorrow and also the city enforcement or whatnot and see if anything can be done but unfortunately I doubt it. I can't believe how many flat tires this is causing.

Not only does leaving stray six-inch nails in the roadway pose significant property damage to people's vehicles, but they could, as well, pose a huge safety risk to people riding their bicycles or walking in or along the roadway. I would most definitely call them and bluntly tell them your past days' experiences, and reinforce the dangers and liability of having stray nails in the roadway. Also make sure and ask -- or, if that doesn't work, demand -- that they reimburse you and your mother.

If you order from Pizza Hut i'd suggest a 10 piece Honey BBQ Wings.
    Yes SniperDevil, I recently pointed out to TXU a utility pole that was blocking a crossing walk sign which could potentially cause someone to get hit, because they can't see when to walk and when not to walk.
    Kerry Jones

Originally posted by SniperDevil
    Not only does leaving stray six-inch nails in the roadway pose significant property damage to people's vehicles, but they could, as well, pose a huge safety risk to people riding their bicycles or walking in or along the roadway. I would most definitely call them and bluntly tell them your past days' experiences, and reinforce the dangers and liability of having stray nails in the roadway. Also make sure and ask -- or, if that doesn't work, demand -- that they reimburse you and your mother.
    I completely agree.
    Technically, they physically damged your car, so I guess you can sue them.

It is pretty much the same thing as if they took a nail and hammered it into your tire while it was parked.

Call the main contractor (should be easy enough to find their name & number), call them up and say you want to make a claim against their liability insurance for a damaged tire. Encourage everyone who's had a problem to do the same.

And be sure to follow up on your threat/promise. Call the insurance company and make the claim. That will show up on the loss history of the contractor and they'll ultimately have to pay more for insurance which could give them incentive to clean up their site.

Also, don't send the nail with you when you send the bill to the main contractor. That's the same as sending someone that you're going to sue all your evidence. Stuff happens, and I just got a flat tire a week ago, it's a slow leak, but I really need to get it fixed soon.

there construction workers, they wouldnt give a toss if you gave them a peace of your mind,

Just tell the Site manager whats been happening ask for some money towards the tires, and move on

If you're down $300+, and the contracting company managers won't do anything, put together a bill, detailing you expenses (tire, repair cost), as well as the cost of the pizza had to order, and the time spent/lost. So if you spent 6hrs fixing your tire, when you could have been working, bill them 6x $40/hr or whatever you value your time at.

If they don't pay the bill, you can take them to small claims court, OR send the bill to a collection agency, and put a lien against their property. Filing an official lien against them damages their credit BIG TIME, so they will then deal with you if they havent already.

I knew a guy who had a similar thing happen to him, he incurred acouple hundred dollars worth of expenses due to a major corporations product failure. When they failed to reimburse him, he filed a $1000 lien against the companies headquarters building/property. They promptly paid him what he asked for in compensation.

Frosty as well as the above advise I would.

1. Take photo's of the Nail
    2. Take photo's of the damaged tyre
    3. Have the tyre company write a report about the damaged tyre.
    4. Go to the area of highway where it happened and take photo's and hopefully get photo's of nails lying on the road.
    5. Get names and details and photo's of damage to other vehicles where possible.

I would also assertain who the building was being erected for, if it is a different company to the construction company they too may be held liable.

You never can have too much evidence

Good luck

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    Need help? just ask The Doctor
    House calls a specialty
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy ?

You guys are making a mountain out of a molehill. This is an insurance claim, pure and simple. Call the contractor, ask who their liability insurer is, file a claim. It'll be paid - no muss, no fuss.

Originally posted by blue27
    You will find it under various names. It's an aerosol spray that you inject through the air stem of a punctured tire. It refills the tire with air and seals the puncture temporarily until you get to the service station.
    I have driven over 80 miles on one of these quick repair jobs.

I call it a can of FIX-A-FLAT

They have Discount Tire there? None of my tires have road hazard, they all have certificates. It's basically complete insurance. No matter what happens to the tires, as long as they have the minimum legal tread depth still on them, they are replaced or fixed for free for the full life of the tire. No milage info needed. No pro-ratings, etc, etc. I can put a bullet in each of my tire sidewalls, and get them replaced for free.... which I might do when the tread starts getting low

Oh yeah, I didn't know this earlier but they have a thing called "road hazard" protection which only costs an extra $12 bucks when buying your tires. If within a year you get a flat they will replace the tire for free if you want. I'll always get that from now on. I always find out the good stuff too late

I'm calling the constuction company tomorrow to file a claim or whatever you want to call it, worth a shot... couldn't get around to it today, got way side tracked.

But a distant neighbor got a flat today from that same road I heard, glad it wasn't me again

Sorry to bump this thread back, I've just got one last quick question. I'm about to call the construction company to try to speak to the site manager. I want to try to put in a claim against their liability insurer... how exactly do I do that. Sorry for the silly question, I'm not very familiar with these types of things. After I get their liability insurer info who do I call to make the claim... I can hear you guys laughing at my question already :(

Just going to give it a quick shot, try to get my $350 back.

As mentioned take photos and video, also call the police to come over and take a look at it. The police will put it on record, let the building management know that the police have been called because of the hazard to the public that is being created.

It worked for me, I also live in a tear down area :-) and had the same problem.

Now what hurts more than the money spent on the flat tire, We had 2, is how they raised the property tax :-( in following years