Results 1 to 33 of 33
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    NY, NY
    Posts
    3,975

    Smile What are your goal[s] in life ?

    what are your goals in life?
    Now remember, goals change, so if your goals changed since you were a kid, write those too. If you have many goals, list them all.

    The main purpose is to answer a very hypothetical question worthy of conversation:
    Why do you live, what are you trying to work for? etc.

    Like, are you working to buy a nice car?
    Or working hard to be promoted?
    Just to live comfortably.. etc?
    To support your family?
    So many different interesting answers.

    Also, what was your goal when you were a kid? Did you want that dream car?

    Basically, why do you work so hard at what you do? [And why did you work hard in school.. etc?]

    Hoping to see some interesting responses.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Posts
    6,835
    I don't have many long-term goals at this point. I'll see what life brings me, and I'll do my best and/or what I feel is right when opportunities and consequences alike arise.

    One of my short-term goals is to get my learner's permit on Saturday and pass the written exam. I know it's easy, but many people fail it just because they're nervous and think they will fail it. I have read over the DMV manual several times, and taken the online practice exams, but I seem to forget some information after a few days. I've been excited about this for a while, even though I can't even drive by myself; nonetheless, it's one step closer towards getting my license, and therefore one step closer towards independence and freedom from parental time constraints, familial obligations, and general dependence on other people.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Kuwait
    Posts
    10,573
    going to heaven would be my #1 goal
    #2 would be a billionare
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

    Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    NY, NY
    Posts
    3,975
    Originally posted by SniperDevil
    I don't have many long-term goals at this point. I'll see what life brings me, and I'll do my best and/or what I feel is right when opportunities and consequences alike arise.

    One of my short-term goals is to get my learner's permit on Saturday and pass the written exam. I know it's easy, but many people fail it just because they're nervous and think they will fail it. I have read over the DMV manual several times, and taken the online practice exams, but I seem to forget some information after a few days. I've been excited about this for a while, even though I can't even drive by myself; nonetheless, it's one step closer towards getting my license, and therefore one step closer towards independence and freedom from parental time constraints, familial obligations, and general dependence on other people.
    Good luck on your test. I took mine a few months ago, only 1 wrong. The question was so dumb:
    At a work zone area, most accidents:
    A - are caused by animals
    B- Result in the death of workers
    C - Are rear end collisions
    D - Some other BS choice..


    I picked B.. the answer was C
    I figured that because of B, you have to slow down.. I still think I was right on that question.. oh well.
    Also, the online practice tests are the same questions on the test [minus the one i told you]
    Be sure to know your signs, and when you can park [like if it is no standing, no parking.. etc]

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    chica go go
    Posts
    11,858
    a million dollars.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Posts
    6,835
    Originally posted by ilyash
    Good luck on your test. I took mine a few months ago, only 1 wrong. The question was so dumb:
    At a work zone area, most accidents:
    A - are caused by animals
    B- Result in the death of workers
    C - Are rear end collisions
    D - Some other BS choice..


    I picked B.. the answer was C
    I figured that because of B, you have to slow down.. I still think I was right on that question.. oh well.
    Also, the online practice tests are the same questions on the test [minus the one i told you]
    Be sure to know your signs, and when you can park [like if it is no standing, no parking.. etc]
    Thanks for your tips; I'm pretty sure I'll pass, but that pessimistic, irrational voice of fear and anguish still pipes up at will and refuses to cease until I take the practice exam one more time.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    3,262
    I have a lot of long term goals.

    [1] Finish College and get a good paying Job
    [2] Find my special lady and get married
    [3] Have kids
    [4] Treat my family with the highest priority. Nothing comes before them.
    [5] Save money for my retirement.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    India
    Posts
    56
    My Goal is to have No Goal at the very END. "I want to die a Content man".
    shridhar
    http://pochampally.com
    The wonder world of pochampally handloom ikat!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    1,203
    Originally posted by Rob83
    I have a lot of long term goals.

    [1] Finish College and get a good paying Job
    [2] Find my special lady and get married
    [3] Have kids
    [4] Treat my family with the highest priority. Nothing comes before them.
    [5] Save money for my retirement.
    Uh.. read my mind much?
    Automated Tendencies - Brand Management Agency from Baltimore, Maryland.
    Reputation Management • Search Engine Optimization • Pay Per Click • Email Marketing

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Karachi, Pakistan.
    Posts
    144
    No goals here... lol coz i am the Goal Keeper
    Opss... sorry bad joke!

    On serious notes;
    This is a pretty nice topic by Mr. Ilyash.

    I don't see my self as a wordman and that’s
    why i don't keep any big goals. Instead, i go
    for certain short term but practical targets.
    Currently, my target is to take admission in
    Masters program. Lets see when i'll be able
    to achieve this target.

    But several times in life i've seen that your
    life just drags you according to her will, at
    times everything seems to be running out
    of your hands and you feel that odds aren't
    in your favor anymore. Then again, with the
    will, dedication and hard work, one can for
    sure change his destiny.
    We've cleaned up the air, but polluted our souls,
    We've conquered the atom, but not our prejudice,
    We write more, but learn less.
    [WHTHOLIC]

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Posts
    6,835
    Originally posted by websitedesk
    My Goal is to have No Goal at the very END. "I want to die a Content man".
    If one has no major goals in life, wouldn't this be a nonissue?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    NY, NY
    Posts
    3,975
    Anyone have career changing goals?
    When you were a kid.. what did you want to be? Did you try to be a cop? A superhero? A doctor? You strived to be that person..
    Now you changed your mind, and are striving to be something else..

    Currently my short term goals are to finish off this school year well.
    I have a huge well of exams:
    SAT
    SAT II math
    SAT II physics
    Physics Regents
    History Regents
    AP Russian [which is my native language btw]
    AP Chemistry [so hard!]

    Long term goals are to persue a career in medicine by going to a [hopefully] straight MD program.

    Life is so hard right now. So many things to worry about.
    That is why it led me to start this topic.. Everyone works hard in life.. and the final question is pretty much: "For what?"

    Keep up the interesting responses.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    1,203
    Well I guess I'll add this in. Two of my major goals right now are as follows:

    1) Keep up the good work in school, because in 2 months I start college. I need to keep the grades up, and make it through the school year.

    2) Keep chugging with my company. With things going extremely slow, it's not looking good -- but not bad. It is at least going. I will never lose hope.

    Those are two other main goals for me at the moment.
    Automated Tendencies - Brand Management Agency from Baltimore, Maryland.
    Reputation Management • Search Engine Optimization • Pay Per Click • Email Marketing

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Posts
    6,835
    Originally posted by ilyash
    Long term goals are to persue a career in medicine by going to a [hopefully] straight MD program.
    Where would you ideally go to medical school, and what type of doctor would you like to be?

    Originally posted by ilyash
    Life is so hard right now. So many things to worry about.
    That is why it led me to start this topic.. Everyone works hard in life.. and the final question is pretty much: "For what?"
    Life is what we make of it. There are some things which are just -- darn it -- beyond our control, and others over which we at least have the illusion of control. If you go about your business and do what you think is right you know what's best for you, and you've got it right. Just keep on doing what you think is best, because it will pay off and lead to something, somehow, sometime, some way.

    If you believe you ought to do well on the SAT's, keep at those books until you feel you're ready. If you feel you're ready, you're most likely ready.

    Whatever you want to do is the best choice for you. It may not be for me, but it -- without doubt -- is for you.

    Keep up the interesting responses.

    EDIT: Oh, one more thing: never admit you've made a long-term mistake in your life, because you haven't. It's all a learning experience, and you're all the better for it. I believe we're on this earth to learn, experience, and reproduce (chiefly the last, but the first two are just as important, IMO). So keep learning; keep experiencing; and ... well, I suppose, keep reproducing.
    Last edited by SniperDevil; 04-18-2005 at 08:08 PM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    NY, NY
    Posts
    3,975
    Originally posted by SniperDevil
    Where would you ideally go to medical school, and what type of doctor would you like to be?

    Well I have two paths.
    A - college - 4 yrs - then med school - 4 yrs
    B - Straight med program
    1 - 7 years
    2 - 8 years
    [you go straight to med school after the 4 years.. it is like a specialized program]

    I want to become a surgeon.
    I have witnessed surgery literally in front of me, and I think it is amazing.
    I love the idea of helping people. When you are a regular physician, medicine helps the person, and it takes time.
    However, when you are a surgeon, you, not medicine, are responsible for the patients progress.. and it is instant.
    People who have arthritis go on medication forever, but someone with clogged arteries comes out like a new man.

    I love the idea of being responsible for saving someone like that.
    I have had the oppurtunity to witness autopsies [with cadevars] in front of me.. and i have worked in several Medical Complexes, as well as volunteering at the hospital.

    I really enjoy the profession. However, with all the good, comes the bad. I will probably have to spent around a decade in school, and spend a large amount of money on the education.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    3,262
    Originally posted by ilyash
    Well I have two paths.
    A - college - 4 yrs - then med school - 4 yrs
    B - Straight med program
    1 - 7 years
    2 - 8 years
    [you go straight to med school after the 4 years.. it is like a specialized program]

    I want to become a surgeon.
    I have witnessed surgery literally in front of me, and I think it is amazing.
    I love the idea of helping people. When you are a regular physician, medicine helps the person, and it takes time.
    However, when you are a surgeon, you, not medicine, are responsible for the patients progress.. and it is instant.
    People who have arthritis go on medication forever, but someone with clogged arteries comes out like a new man.

    I love the idea of being responsible for saving someone like that.
    I have had the oppurtunity to witness autopsies [with cadevars] in front of me.. and i have worked in several Medical Complexes, as well as volunteering at the hospital.

    I really enjoy the profession. However, with all the good, comes the bad. I will probably have to spent around a decade in school, and spend a large amount of money on the education.
    I was Premed going to be an ER Surgeon. I decided after that I didn't want to go into the medical field because of the numerous issues with the health system in the U.S. I use to be a tech @ The ER and I really enjoyed it.

    But I dropped out of PreMed and am going for busness instead.

    Good Luck on your quest to be a doctor, it's a great career full of excitment and adventures.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Posts
    6,835
    Originally posted by ilyash
    I want to become a surgeon.
    I have witnessed surgery literally in front of me, and I think it is amazing.
    I love the idea of helping people. When you are a regular physician, medicine helps the person, and it takes time.
    However, when you are a surgeon, you, not medicine, are responsible for the patients progress.. and it is instant.
    People who have arthritis go on medication forever, but someone with clogged arteries comes out like a new man.

    I love the idea of being responsible for saving someone like that.
    I have had the oppurtunity to witness autopsies [with cadevars] in front of me.. and i have worked in several Medical Complexes, as well as volunteering at the hospital.

    I really enjoy the profession. However, with all the good, comes the bad. I will probably have to spent around a decade in school, and spend a large amount of money on the education.
    Yes, my cousin is in her -- I believe -- junior year of medical school right now, at University of Virginia. She wants to become a psychiatrist -- if I were to become a doctor, certainly not my chosen field of specialty. Nonetheless, medical school and all aspects of it still apply, and so I know about the different paths a prospective medical student can take to go to medical school.

    By the way, perhaps you forgot to answer or whatever, but just out of curiosity, do you know where you want to go?

    Anyhow, to address your main thoughts, I whole-heartedly agree with you. I thoroughly enjoy and am fascinated by watching surgeries of any kind on television. It especially gives me a sense of excitement when things are quick, "last-minute", "no time" decisions, such as in the ER, and in the transition to the OR. Discovery Health and TLC are both amazing channels with such shows, and I usually end up watching those channels when the television's on (which is, by far, less often than the computer ).

    Being a general practitioner or physician, in general, would far less interest and excite me than would being in the position of enormous, well, responsibility, that is operating in the operating room, sometimes making the often subtle distinction between life and death. And such are these often minute and varying differences that would keep me moving, on my feet, and doing my job, from losing everything in an uncontrollable panic attack, that -- wait a minute -- I'm in control of this person's life! This is not to mention the "fun" that operating would be -- even if this sounds inappropriate, I think it would be at times -- and the great articulation, in an almost graceful manner, that surgery requires, especially that of the most crucial organs.

    All the glamor aside, the days leading up to having the ability, authority, and comfortableness to complete such a surgery would be treacherous and I doubt whether I could last on such the steep grade that medical school is. I would most likely lose all interest, as is my character to do so, and thus I don't think medicine is right for me. One must be infallible in his beliefs and convictions when taking exams and in such high-stress situations. I often quickly lose interest in things, and I have a feeling that character "trait", with the pressure and stress of overworking and the sheer competitiveness that is so often found in modern medical school, while managing other obligations, would hasten this natural trend.
    Last edited by SniperDevil; 04-18-2005 at 08:43 PM.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    NY, NY
    Posts
    3,975
    Well, I am not sure yet, only in my junior year, but thinking of several straight-med programs
    sophie davis
    brooklyn college
    brown
    njit
    etc. [there are many out there]

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Posts
    6,835
    Originally posted by ilyash
    Well, I am not sure yet, only in my junior year, but thinking of several straight-med programs
    sophie davis
    brooklyn college
    brown
    njit
    etc. [there are many out there]
    I haven't heard of the first one, but the last three I have heard of and I know are good schools.

    What about Columbia?

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    24,009
    One of my main goals is to dance the tango with my wife at our great grandchildren's weddings.
    • AussieHost.com • Aussie Bob, host since 2001 •
    • Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!! •

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Boise, ID U.S.A.
    Posts
    3,503
    In the opening sequence of Pasqualino: Seven Beauties I see myself in:
    "The ones who hold on to the end, just to see how it will turn out. Oh, yeah."

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Posts
    6,835
    Originally posted by Disgruntled
    In the opening sequence of Pasqualino: Seven Beauties I see myself in:
    "The ones who hold on to the end, just to see how it will turn out. Oh, yeah."
    Most of us aren't planning on going anywhere anytime soon, eh? The "norm" is to live until something natural takes you away. We all hold on till the end, but sometimes the railing is stronger than at other times. Sometimes it feels like there is none at all.

  23. #23
    Marry A Hot Girl....
    Drive A Hotter Girl

    or is it suppose to be the other way around?
    Looking For Wholesale Promotional Products?
    Promotional Products | Imprinted Promotional Products
    Coming Soon...Promotions For Webhosting Series

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    The South
    Posts
    5,403
    You gotta understand the setting some to understand the stage.

    My folks were poor, are poor for that matter, my dad's always been the black sheep, etc, when I was 8 or 9 my granny was talking about the future with me one afternoon while I was lurking around her kitchen while she cooked dinner (remember I'm the -son- of the black sheep of the family my future is grim according to most in the family). So I told her I wanted to be a millionaire before I was 35. I'm 33 this october, I turned down $360K for my hosting business over a year ago, so I don't think I'm gonna make my boast maybe she's not too disappointed in me anyway.

    Other goals - to live long enough to watch my son become a man and hopefully watch him become a better man than I am.
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Duluth MN
    Posts
    3,864
    My ultimate goal in life is to do what God has planned for me, I have a strong calling to ministry. One of the reasons why I am actually trying to finish College is because I'm considering going to Seminary in a few years. Whether I persue that route or not is up in the air.


    I'd like to grow my business to a point where I can support myself and a family, as well as the families of all my employees. One of the things I like about my business, and kept in my mind since I started it, is that I can run it from anywhere in the world as long as I have internet access. So I could technically become a self employed missionary, entering another country as an American businessman, and bring my Bible in my back pocket.

    The really cool thing is that I recently received a call from JAARS (www.jaars.org) and they want me to come out to North Carolina to see how I could fit into their ministry with Wycliffe. They are in need of people like me, with a good range of comptuer skills (particularly networking/system administration) to go abroad and help build technological infrastructure for the missionaries that Wycliffe has around the world. (Wycliffe is the organization that has the goal to translate the Bible into all known languages)


    I have some minor short term goals, like paying off debt, etc, but those aren't as important.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Central / Midwest USA
    Posts
    500
    Originally posted by Bashar
    going to heaven would be my #1 goal
    #2 would be a billionare
    #1 - accomplished
    #2 - i'll keep trying at it

    .-=={[(' Sitedesigner ')]}==-.

    ~Entrepreneur at heart~ Pm me.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Eaglehawk, Victoria,Australia
    Posts
    5,023
    My short term goal is to make it throught to the end of the day.
    My long term goal is to make it throught to my next pay day.

    Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    Need help? just ask The Doctor
    House calls a specialty
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy ?

  28. #28
    Change the world

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    2,130
    Long term: To be more confident and happy
    Short term: To get a good set of GCSE results

    Thats me.
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Manila
    Posts
    40
    life is a journey enjoy it !
    Prime Outsourcing | offshore solutions | manual labor | staff leasing |
    because American & European labor are expensive

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Posts
    5,962
    It would be a goal just for me to have a goal... I mean, been there, done that, got it all.... except Angelina. Ok, I got a new goal

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    541
    My goal is to be a millionare in 5 years, then be a billionare in 20 years.

    And then ............hrmm....what then..? maybe buy the world?

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Eaglehawk, Victoria,Australia
    Posts
    5,023
    Originally posted by VP
    My goal is to be a millionare in 5 years, then be a billionare in 20 years.

    And then ............hrmm....what then..? maybe buy the world?
    I doubt America would want to sell it.

    Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    Need help? just ask The Doctor
    House calls a specialty
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy ?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •