recommendations?

I'm looking around for a host which would have higher bandwidth and diskspace, my budget at the moment is up to $25 a month. I will be offering some downloads of game demos and things like that on my site so I need the space/bandwidth.

So far I was looking at dreamhost, but the $50 setup fee is a bit of a turnoff. I also saw site5 which had 6gb of diskspace, not sure how long that would last with demos.

What would you all recommend, is the site5 offer the best I can do on my budget to get reliable service?

Thanks

Do you have any approximate bandwidth/space requirements?
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

There aren't too many hosts that are going to offer more than 6-10gigs of space on a shared server.

You could always start off on a shared account for the timebeing - and then setup a dedicated for your downloads (or even a vps) later on and just link to them using your shared account.

There is a lot of room for growth in 6gigs - how large are the majority of the demos that you will be offering up?
    Are they zipped?
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

How much space and bandwidth do you need?

the demos can range from 10mb to 300+mb each. I think I will just go for a shared plan with 5-8gb of space and 50+gb bw if possible. The site5 has 6gb space and 90gb b/w which seems good.

Any thoughts or other host recommendations?

The webmin package at powervps.com comes with 100gb bw. You can also look at another 100gb bw package on bliksemhosting.com (BR-5). Both packages costs the same ($24.95) but they are completely different and you should look closely to see what fits best for you.

I'm a very happy Site5 customer and I can only say good things about them. They have this Horsepower Redline package that includes 90gb bw for $12.95. You should definetely consider it as an option.
    ACcomunica

I have exactly what you're looking for. They have great prices and good support too. Do a Google search on "surpasshosting". I can't post urls since I don't have 5 posts yet.

check out hostingplex.com, they offer 5 gigs of space & 110 gigs of bandwidth for only $3.95/month. Just get a couple of those accounts, and you're set. You do offer LEGIT games for download right? (You own the copyright?) If so, you should be able to sign up for hostingplex.

$4 a month seems a bit cheap for that much space and bandwidth, is hostingplex reliable?

Yes I have the rights to distribute the game demos. They aren't full copies, just demos like you would find at any other site like fileshack, etc.

All I know is Surpass is very reliable.
    http://www.surpasshosting.com
    Now I can post urls.

stickman373,

Even though they're demos - they still have distribution laws attached with them.

Technically you still must have the rights to distribute the files even though they're not "full" - so doublecheck with each of the companies prior to starting any large projects based on it.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

There are hosts out there that can offer the space just have a lookaround, and check out the advertising forum as well. For file downloads it might be a good idea to get mirrors close to the target audience.
    Chris Collins
    Hostingfreak.net
    Directadmin Hosting in europe
    www.hostingfreak.net

I like the Site5 option you first proposed. Couldn't you grow into a bigger plan as needed? Start with a smaller plan and expand/pay more as your needs grow.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

If you want to have the domain hosting over the shared server then you will find very few hosts offering space for over and above 10 GB space. If you wish to have a big space then it would be recommended that you opt for either a VPS or a dedicated server. This may cost you a bit higher but at the same time you will get the space and the bandwidth as per your requirement.