single client have 1000 databases

hi

i have a hosting client on my cpanel server , who is using script that is creating more and more independent databases.

he is now having about 500 databases , and he says he may come shortly to 1000 database.

is there a problem on the mysql server according to this thing our client is doing.

he insists that he has to do that ,
    and by the way every database doenst exceed 10 -20 mega byte.

Again , how will my mysql suffer from something like that >????

It depends on your server hardware and how many accounts you are using in your server.
    AssistanZ - Beyond Boundaries...
    Cloudstack Consultancy / 24x7 Web Hosting Support / 24x7 Server Management / Infrastructure Management Services
    Web & Mobile Apps Development / Web Designing Services / Php, Grails, Java Development

What's your client doing with all these databases ? Seems a bit odd to be having all these databases.

The joy of unlimited databases

Is he overloading your server ? If not, then you have no worries, however he tries to access a large number of these database concurrently, then you'll probably start to notice performance issues.

The key thing with databases is that the schema is designed well and queries are optimised. I guess you have no input to the design ? MySQL will handle large numbers of databases OK as long as you have sufficient resource on your box.

Personally, I'd hate to be running an app that creates so many individual databases. I've seen similiar problems where a system generates a database per customer rather than linking a customer ID field to common data.

You'll have to monitor and see how things develop.

How much is this guy paying you a month?

Maybe he's just testing the 'unlimited' offer

thanks for your replies guys ....
    The most trouble i were about was reaching the maximum number of concourent connections many times a day

and i discovered lastly that his code open simulatneous connections on all the databases ... in some cases

I will tell him to close any connection before he use the other , and see what will happen

thats why people dont offer 'unlimited' number of features, because oneday you'll get a client like this
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

Re: single client have 1000 databases

Originally posted by naguib2000
    hi
    he is now having about 500 databases , and he says he may come shortly to 1000 database.
    Hasn't your client heard of a lovely thing called "tables?" Perhaps not.
    he insists that he has to do that ,
    and by the way every database doenst exceed 10 -20 mega byte.
    I'll bet dollars to donuts this guy's a programmer and not a DBA. At least, he doesn't seem to know anything about RDBMSes. Programmers often "insist" on comically absurd kludges like this. I'm sorry but if he's "shortly" going to be doubling the number of databases he uses, then his code needs help, big time. I've worked in many IT shops in my day and if some programmer walked up to me one day and said he "needed" 500-1000 individual databases to run his application properly, I'd laugh him out of the building and so would any mildly intelligent boss I've ever had.
    Again , how will my mysql suffer from something like that >???? [/B]
    As ridiculous as his "requirements" are, doubtful.

Originally posted by naguib2000

and i discovered lastly that his code open simulatneous connections on all the databases ... in some cases
    Then you truely have an issue. That's 500 or shortly, 1000 connections at the same time. You should walk if not run from the client if he can't write better code.
    Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts!
    http://www.sprintserve.net
    Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting |
    Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management |

Re: Re: single client have 1000 databases

Originally posted by boethius
    Hasn't your client heard of a lovely thing called "tables?" Perhaps not.

I'll bet dollars to donuts this guy's a programmer and not a DBA. At least, he doesn't seem to know anything about RDBMSes. Programmers often "insist" on comically absurd kludges like this. I'm sorry but if he's "shortly" going to be doubling the number of databases he uses, then his code needs help, big time. I've worked in many IT shops in my day and if some programmer walked up to me one day and said he "needed" 500-1000 individual databases to run his application properly, I'd laugh him out of the building and so would any mildly intelligent boss I've ever had.

As ridiculous as his "requirements" are, doubtful.
    I ran into a client like this once. He thought I was crazy - that each "field" had to have its own database. Fortunately I remember some of my high schooling & explained the difference to him