Smile Questions about particular web host

Hi guys,

Do you find reasonable when someone makes his fist post in WHT asking for our thoughts about particular company that is not popular enough?

It might be considered as a promotion... or might not?

I understand that users should be allowed to ask a questions but there are too many providers here so maybe it is more reasonable to choose one among them or to make your own search instead of posting like this with you first post. What do you think about it?

Best Regards
    Dimitar
    DawHB.com - Web Hosting Blog | VPSHostDir.com - VPS Hosting Media

I am actually fine with the idea of asking about a particular host.

If it is one which is very popular then you probably get a bunch of people asking them to do the search because the subject has been mentioned over and over again.

If it is someone new then I would assume the person would have made some investigation and may not find anything about that host. Some of those host names could have been picked up through search engine searches or via some other means.

I am weary about people who actually comes here with the first post to praise a particular host then that may view as self-promotion, depending on how it is worded. It has happened before.

Then the other group I am weary about are those whose first post is to criticize a host and has a nick which echoes that sentiments.

Different people have different needs and budget and some of the lesser known hosts may seems to meet their needs.

Actually, if you ask me, Ditimar, I don't know anything about your business ? What you are saying is that since I do not know your business and know others, I should not give you a chance ? You may have your circle of customers but I do not belong in that group. Would it be fair to just drop you out of the list of acceptable host to select from ? Don't get me wrong, I am just giving you an illustration of the situation here.

I know several others but the point I am saying is that business should not just go to the few known hosts then they would form an informal cartel which virtually blocks out businesses for the rest of the other hosts, some of which may be up and coming. Everyone has to start from somewhere and if you prevent those new hosts to grow, you soon would have a market dominated by a few players.

As a customer, I believe that all hosts should be given an equal chance and footing in this competition and be allowed to grow based on their merits instead of being knocked down by the big players.

It could be a indirect advertising method.

I think 90% of those messages are advertisements.

It's only been happening about 4 years.
    Laurence Flynn @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

Actually, I could say - "Do you find reasonable when someone makes a thread in WHT asking for our thoughts about someone asking for our thought on a particular company that is not popular enough?"

fcolor, you sly dog.
    Laurence Flynn @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

You know it's funny because I almost went on the forum a couple of days ago to ask about a host that I had gotten a link exchange request from. The deal seemed completely outrageous (offering 500 GB transfer for $7.95/mo) and I was going to come on this forum and ask "has anybody heard of this host?"

I checked myself though and did a search and found a reference to the host by somebody who had been banned by the forum for pretending like "Oh look I found this deal..." but it was apparently obvious to the casual observer that he was trying to promote his product.

Even though I've been putting together my own site for about a year now, I only recently started getting active on the forums. I should have been doing that a long time ago because there's good stuff out here and it's kind of addicting to contribute and get contributions from folks who have the same passion as I.

I bring up this long thing because it has not been uncommon for me to go on forums for the first time and ask questions about offfers that, in retrospect, might have seemed like plugs for a product.

I'm a really skeptical person so I know that probably 98% of the time people think they're being sly when they are transparently promoting themselves. I think it is possible for the occassional honest question about an obscure host because of spam and link exchange requests. The user then Gooogles for a forum to ask for questions and, Voila!, they're here asking questions for the first time.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

Well I understand that there are people who want to get a recommendation or just need more information about a provider. But you will agree that someone can check whois database then to do search at Google, etc. and I'm sure that they will get enough information. I'm also sceptical if someone who comes to WHT for the 1st time have to ask about a particular provider. They can even search for old posts about about this comepany first.

Don't know maybe I'm wrong but I think it is better forum's topics to be helpful and interesting and less promotional.

Thank You
    D.
    DawHB.com - Web Hosting Blog | VPSHostDir.com - VPS Hosting Media

Generally, if the user has 2 posts and can't post URLs, doesn't contribute in any of the other forums and posts here asking about a webhost, it becomes suspicious.

Specially if the IP of the one asking the question and the replying "Thanks for asking about our company" are very similar. :p
    Adnan.
    FusionRays.com
    Shared and Reseller Plans

Agreed. Self promotion is the norm. There are legitimate newbies though.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

Well, I've been a WHT newbie, and an Internet newbie as well. I assure you that a genuine newbie can come here and say:

1. Is this host that I've found good? Please, you're the experts, help me.

2. XYZ host is just bad. I paid them a whole year in advance ($30 in total) and now that I use 10Gb of my 100GB bandwidth quota they've suspended my site. I need a new host, but my budget is smaller now 'cause the money I had I already spend on this host. if anyone can give me some 200GB for cheap, please email me at [email protected]ever

3. Hello guys! Such a wonderful place you're got here. I just wanted to share that I've been using ZYX host for 2 years and they're very cool. Everything works just great.

There are many fake reviews, shills and other types of people, but there are just as many genuine newbies.

Do you find reasonable when someone makes his fist post in WHT asking for our thoughts about particular company that is not popular enough?
    Yes. WHT is mentioned on other forums and people are sent here to do a search or ask for info about rather unknown hosts. Whenever you feel it looks suspicious, report the post to the moderators.
    Last edited by ldcdc; 04-19-2005 at 06:21 PM.

Yes, I also agree that it can be perfectly legitimate for a newbie to ask a question like the first post here mentioned.
    Not guilty until proven otherwise... good rule, I think.
    Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

My first ever post on WHT was to ask about a host that nobody ever seemed to have heard of.

The tendency is to think that first time posters who ask about a host may be shilling but the post should be analyzed before jumping to conclusions.

I'd vote to give the newbies a chance. Shills can't help but hang themselves and they're always found it. It's just a function of time before they're caught and banned. If they get away with it the first time, they'll just get bolder and bolder until it becomes obvious what is happening.

The very first thread I ever read on WHT started with "Is this host good?" followed within hours by 6 newbies posting "This host rocks! I've been with them for years!". Chicken noted that the thread was suspicious and people should draw their own conclusions.

Or...look at it this way. You catch more flies with honey. If you help the newbies out or ask questions about their experiences, you'll be contributing to the community. And a shill will eventually reveal information that shows a connection to the company they own.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.