Choosing a vps provider?

What are the main considerations in choosing vps provider?

As a reference i have done:

- Shared hosting, tired of limitations and cannots, lack of speed and so on....

- Dedicated servers, tired of problems regarding both hardware, software and daily maintenance.....

So my question is when choosing a vps provider what are the key points to consider?

Well, you have to know that your provider is a very reputable company such as PowerVPS, ServInt, VPSColo etc. Compare prices/plans and really think about what you NEED and what you WANT. Those are two different things. If you know how to run a server then support won't be as important, but if you're a newbie you better try out their support by sending pre-sales questions. Think up as many as you can. Another thing is that the host must be fair in desputes. I can think of a few ways to test this, but they are either mean or not practical. Good luck.

Support is not that important...

Support is not that important an issue....as long as the hardware, software and conections work as they should....

In the last 2 years (Hosting) we have hardly contacted the support departement of our hosting provider. And we do not need or use any control panel functions....

I did state wrongly in the initial post that we had used dedicated, but the correct one would be colocated servers.....

Now we are considereing VPS vs a Managed dedicated server....

We use mainly php and mysql, but might make use of java serverletts for some applications....

Any thoughts on what we should choose...and when the choice is made what criteria we should use to choose the right supplier....

fun2fun,

I would recommend rethinking the 'support is not that important' - support is everything!

If the support isn't there to watch to make sure the hardware, software and connections 'work' as they should then you'll definitely notice the difference.

I would recommend just testing each provider - contacting them via phone or livechat/e-mail. Just be sure to research prior to choosing any specific one.

There are a lot of good providers out there - but at least twice the number of shady ones.

Research research research!
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Originally posted by HP-David
    Research research research!
    This I agree with! But all the research is giving me a tired head! Personally, I've decided to go with the VPS option, but haven't fully decided between ServInt and PowerVPS yet. Those are the two that I'm wrestling with.

SWWa,

I can't personally make any recommendations toward either as I haven't used them.

Take your time and don't jump into it too quickly - test their support.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Personally ServInt used to have some of the best support but, listen to this.
    - On a telephone call I am always instructed to e-mail instead. Even on issues that I consider urgent.
    - The NOC replies slightly slower than it once did, not too much of a bad thing, but I liked the old 5 minutes replies that they used to be able to produce.
    - ServInt enforces an artificial cap on the CPU. I would have to say that a PowerVPS VPS (sounds odd, I know) runs faster than a ServInt VPS.

My 2 cents.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

ZeonFX,

I would agree that most technical issues are better handled over the phone - even if it takes a moment extra for you to send it but I think they can deal with it faster.

The same applies to hosting issues - easier to deal with it via e-mail otherwise a hand or two is tied up!
    David

Thats what I like about WHT, fast replies

David,

It is much faster to use the phone as at times I get very slow responses from the NOC. It was never like this. I don't want to complain as it is much better than most companies but it's still not as great. Additionally, its better to use the phone because you do not have to go through so many e-mails for correspondence.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

ZeonFX,

I'm sure you have a lot of experience with support - and I would assume the same applies to you.

(as you don't have a phone number available) - support is almost impossible to handle via the phone without headsets, six arms and two tongues - espescially if they're minimizing support costs by having the same phone representatives also either handle each issue or at least handle escalations, play ticket secretary/tennis.

It makes certain issues impossible to deal with in a timely fashion via the phone.
    David

David, I do agree with you. But, serious issues IE. a rooted box should be delt with on via phone. I don't mind smaller issues via e-mail.

Hey, Hey

Hey, Hey

This topic is getting bogged down in a support discussion......

As stated earlier, we will probably never contact the suppliers support department.

We require fast lines, dependable hardware, a stable company which takes care of its machines and lines 24/7.

We do not require control panel functions, simply root access.

Any thoughts and considerations?

It's really quite simple, you're looking for www.eurovps.com.

They bent over backwards to help me.

Originally posted by dknapp00
    It's really quite simple, you're looking for www.eurovps.com.

They bent over backwards to help me.
    Bad Request (Invalid Hostname) is the error I get when visiting their site.

Yep, I think that the poster made a mistake in typing the URL.

Thanks for pointing that out ZeonFx
    EuroVPS VPS Hosting - Virtual Private Servers | Web Hosting | Dedicated Servers
    Providing Reliable Plesk and cPanel Servers since 2004, now offering low priced Xen & VMware VPS in Amsterdam
    UK +44.203.355.6681 / Amsterdam +31.208.202.120

Im working with hosteasier.com they are really good.

Its different and the customer service is the best.

Dont look to vps semi-managed or unmanaged... hosteasier give it full support without more cost.

Thanks for the response...

Hi,

I wish to thank for the response and suggestions, we have not choosen a provider yet.

It might look like we will go for a managed dedicated server instead of vps.

Any more suggestions and tips?

I also suggest EuroVPS.com - they relaly do bend over backwards to help and do customize plans.

Thanks
    Liam