hosting? domain?

hi, right now i got a site with ebreazehosting. ebreaze registered the domain for me.

The problem is (a friend mentioned to me) what if i wanted to change my hosting?? would they allow me?
    Webmaster Tools at iWEBTOOL.com

You will have to ask them that.

Technnicaly they should do, but if not u can contact ICANN

They may have something in there TOS listed agaisnt letting you change the domain over to another registart, but again you will have to ask them that.

I'm guessing they'll make you pay for the domain name beore they'll allow you to transfer it.

You will have to refer the TOS for getting the answer to this question. If it says that you need to host the domain with them then there cannot be any other option for that. But if the TOS is silent about this then it is always considered that you are free to take the domain elsewhere to host it. And even if the company is objecting upon this then you can approach ICANN.

True, if you have paid for domain name, company can't stop you from transfering it to another registrar.

And this time I suggest, move your domain to some domain name registration company like godaddy.com, directi.com etc. And keep your hosting seperate so that in future, if you need to switch hosts, there is absolutely no problem...
    Wholesale Domain Prices for Retail Customers - Rushtoweb.com

I always advise persons to sign up for their web hosting and domain name with separate companies. I dont know what's your current host's policy is as far as you switching hosts is concerned, but in the future, just to be on the safe side, keep them separate. Ive heard too many horror stories of domain names being held 'hostage'.
    Vertivo :: Affordable Web Hosting Packages and Reseller Plans
    We offer affordable and reliable Linux-based Reseller and Shared Hosting Plans. Accepted: All major Credit Cards and PayPal.

Most hosts let you transfer domains...

Re: hosting? domain?

Originally posted by redwan
    hi, right now i got a site with ebreazehosting. ebreaze registered the domain for me.
    Whose name is the domain registered under (WHOIS lookup)? If it's registered under you name, you own it. If it's registered under their name, they own it and don't have to give you anything. Many have gotten burned by this in the past. Most of the time they get away with it by suggesting you "paid for the service of them registering the domain," instead of "you bought a domain from us."

If it is under their name, you're at their mercy. Your only hope for a dispute might be fraud charges that they told you or "gave you the impression" that you would be the owner of the domain. Good luck on that...

Otherwise, if your name and contact info are on the domain, it should be as easy as initiating the transfer with the new registrar.
    Figly Media
    Plesk 9.2.1 Shared Linux Hosting
    PHP 5.2.9, MySQL, PostgreSQL & more!
    http://www.figly.com

Originally posted by Intech
    Technnicaly they should do, but if not u can contact ICANN
    Chances are that they're not ICANN accredited.

Ethically speaking, they should let you, but you would have to ask them to be sure.
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Including an RSS feed that you can syndicate!
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Unlimited vs. Unmetered bandwidth

Originally posted by Moni-Q
    I always advise persons to sign up for their web hosting and domain name with separate companies. I dont know what's your current host's policy is as far as you switching hosts is concerned, but in the future, just to be on the safe side, keep them separate. Ive heard too many horror stories of domain names being held 'hostage'.
    It is true, but different people have different opinion. There are people who believe that the host and the registrar should be the same so that there is minimum confusuion for the hosting. But in that case also you shold make sure that the domain will be registered in your name only and it will not be registered by the company in it's personal name. You can get that confirmation from the company in regards to the same.

There are people who believe that the host and the registrar should be the same so that there is minimum confusuion for the hosting.
    What do you mean? What kind of confusion?

When I mean confusion I mean to say the pain that one has to take in order to set the DNS for the domain. This can be sometimes lengthy process for some. Or might be editing some zone files which needs some expert attention.

To tell you the truth, you do not really have to be ICANN accredited to help your client register their domains. For example, we reseller domains for a few companies, eg. Enom and etc...

Does that really make us bad hosts as we are not ICANN accredited?

All I'm trying to say is that when you sign up for a domain, you'd always have to be wise and ask this question, "Do I get to have my own control over the domain or...?"

If the answer is YES you have your own control, then register it.
    If otherwise, then say goodbye to the company and look for someone else to register your domain with.
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Servers in Central, East/West Coast USA, EUROPE and ASIA
    Welltodo Century
    - www.welltodocentury.com

I agree, although this may not be apparent to novices. I do the research - if a web host is a eNom or TUCOWS reseller, they are as good as ICANN accredited because if they drop off the face of the earth I know eNom or TUCOWS can take care of me.
    Figly Media
    Plesk 9.2.1 Shared Linux Hosting
    PHP 5.2.9, MySQL, PostgreSQL & more!
    http://www.figly.com

It depends..