Thread: CPU Ranking

CPU Ranking

Hello,

I guess it would probably of advantage for some newbies as me if some of you pros could probably give a little ranking on CPU´s and stuff. At least I personally would really appreciate it, since when I searched for buying my last server (bought today) I kinda really felt insecure on what server CPU to take. Now I know that always depends on whatfor you would want to use a server, but probably still someone could give a raw idea about what each CPU can handle about when being used for regular websites (medium traffic, medium DB usage).

I was thinking about something like that (just an example, I don´t have experience in that so ranking given is just a "placeholder"):

Dual Opteron
    Dual Xeon
    AMD 64
    Pentium
    Athlon
    Sempron
    Celeron

Something like that.

Personally I would be interested, just in case I need to buy another server soon, what would probably fit best for a server for regular webpages for me. My pricerange is about 100-300$ per server, so that would allow me to buy either:

Dual Xeon
    AMD 64
    Pentium
    Athlon

Now I wonder which one of the 4 performs best for regular webpage server, or one would e.g. rather buy a cheaper AMD64 instead of more expensive Xeon´s and use more RAM and so on...?

So basically what I am looking for is an overview of the different CPU´s and for which purposes they are well-usable and for which they are not. Of course I would also be very thankful for any good links to tutorials/rankings where I can find good information about that

thx in advance,
    dotdoms

This all depends on what software you are using and the type of traffic on your web server.. Be sure to match up HDD's and ram with the CPU.

More demanding server
    ===
    Quad Opteron
    Dual Opteron
    Dual Xeon
    Athlon 64
    Athlon XP / Pentium 4
    ===
    less demanding server

The Athlon 64 Servers are a great starting server,

If you want to own your server you can get an Athlon 64 2800, 2GB RAM, DVD RW, 6x 80GB SATA HDD's with hardware raid for under $1000USD, or lease one for about $150/mo.

One High End opteron server with a SCSI array can run upwards of $40,000USD easly. or leased for arround 6k/mo.

With your budget you are going to get the most server for your money out of an Athlon64 server with a good raid set and extra RAM or even two.
    AfterNorth Innovative solutions for tomorrow, today.
    0spam.org AntiSpam for Service Providers
    DotNetInvoice Online Billing Solutions
    Professional Services Since 1996

I second the Athlon 64 reccomendation, we're running quite a few of these machines and when running a 64bit OS they are incredibly fast boxes.

I've ran some Unixbench testing, and a 3200+ comes back at around 180, not far off my Dual Xeon 2.4's score of 189.

Don't expect everything to go smoothly OS wise though, there's still a lot of problems with cPanel, PHP, etc.
    █ Dan Kitchen | Technical Director | Razorblue
    █ ddi: (+44) (0)1748 900 680 | e: dkitchen@razorblue.com
    █ UK Intensive Managed Hosting, Clusters and Colocation.
    █ HP Servers, Cisco/Juniper Powered BGP Network (AS15692).

I think your ranking is about right and would like to add that a Dual Opteron would fit quite well in your $100-300 price range. There are a few places with Dual Opterons w/ 1-2 GB RAM and even SCSI for $2xx