Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PowWeb? Thanx but no Thanx!

Just wanted to let any potential customers know about PowWeb's aweful service. I've signed up with them about 1-2 weeks ago, and all I've been getting since then is downtimes! Seriously, there haven't been a single day running normally. Their logs don't even log the errors, so you can't even know about them, unless your unhappy customers let you know! Their support? Responses like "we re looking into it" and "it's probably your ISP's fault" are just not good enough.

That 99.9% uptime they re advertising is nothing but lies. I've had about 99.9% downtime!

If you re about to decide what host to chose, just don't select PowWeb, and one day you'll probably thank me!

If you don't believe me, or you need more info, just reply here and I'm sure I'll convince you.

Go ahead.
    Convince me.

unless your unhappy customers let you know!
    They offer reseller accounts now? Since when?
    Thanks,

Brendan Diaz
    Connect: linkedin.com/in/brendandiaz

Felix, I assume he means he has a commerce site that his customers can't reach.

Originally posted by blue27
    Go ahead.
    Convince me.
    forums.powweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53
    (I'm not allowed to post links before I made 5 posts!)
    but be quick, before they take me offline! Cause I expect them to do so!

Originally posted by Lucid-Felix
    They offer reseller accounts now? Since when?
    reseller accounts, no. they do affiliates tho. But anyways, I meant my own website, on which I'm trying to make a living, and their service doesn't help much :/

Responses like "we re looking into it" and "it's probably your ISP's fault" are just not good enough.
    Well, were they looking into it? Were the problems solved? What problems were they? How do you know it wasn't your ISP's fault?

If his customers are complaining about it as well, I doubt they also use the same ISP as him.

PowWebs been good in the past but has been going downhill recently. I would also advise others to stay away from them.

reseller accounts, no. they do affiliates tho. But anyways, I meant my own website, on which I'm trying to make a living, and their service doesn't help much :/
    Ah ok, thanks for clearing that up for me.
    Thanks,

Brendan Diaz
    Connect: linkedin.com/in/brendandiaz

Originally posted by ldcdc
    Well, were they looking into it? Were the problems solved? What problems were they? How do you know it wasn't your ISP's fault?
    They are supposed to be looking into it. Still the problems are not fixed. We still get A LOT of downtime, and mysql errors (unable to connect to database etc). This is the deal for the past 8-10 days. Wheather they re really looking into it or not, that I'm not sure. The thing is that 8-10 days downtime IS UNNACCEPTABLE! You can always take a look at their forums and see that for yourself.

And no, its not my ISP's fault. Simply because way too many customers of theirs are experiencing the same problems. It can't be that powweb are ok and everybody else is not, now can it?

Originally posted by yaba
    The thing is that 8-10 days downtime IS UNNACCEPTABLE!

It can't be that powweb are ok and everybody else is not, now can it?

Yes.
    No.

blame the ISP

Originally posted by ldcdc
    Blame the user's ISP seems to be a popular palm-off at POWWEB. I have personally had to deal with this several times over the past year. I'm not a customer of POWWEB but someone I provided support for was.

Slow downloads? "Must be your ISP"
    Can't load the page? "Must be your ISP" (this on a 403 generated by their web server).

Discussions with their 'support' team continued in circles ad-nauseum. While the problem was solved eventually (>24hrs) it took much jumping up and down and me actually telling them how to fix the problem.

In my expierience stay away.

--
    Damian

Thank you yaba and Infinix for the explanations.

This is really very starnge to hear about PowWeb. PowWEb seemed to be quiet a recongnized company but it seems that the unsatisfied clients such can make a difference in the opinion for this company.

We are very sorry to hear the experience you had Yaba with PowWeb and thank you for sharing that with all of us here.

well, the thing is not that myself and probably 2-3 more customers are disapointed. I want to stress the fact that EVERYONE RELYING ON MySQL have had serious downtimes for the past 8-10 days. That makes us... what? maybe more than half their customers!

oh, and by the way, they changed the "99.9% uptime" moto to "99.9% infrastructure availability", which i gues is pretty self-explanatory!!

see for yourself (still can't post links, add h t t p://w w w. in front):
    powweb.com/powweb-images/100infredund.gif
    Last edited by yaba; 04-18-2005 at 12:59 AM.

It is accepted that there are problems over the MySql server in between, but lasting for so long is really not acceptable. 8 to 10 days is really long time for having the data for your web-site down. There should be other clients also having faced this problem. Also I could not get the forums link that you placed. Which one is your thread ???

Wow, i thought powweb was some huge company. Seems like they are plague with problems. Sometimes I just think that joining a huge company is not really as good, because they have too many clients to take care of. An individual support with a smaller hosting company is certainly a better choice!

I think most of you here agree with me! (my 2 cents)

Originally posted by Gary Brahmi
    Also I could not get the forums link that you placed. Which one is your thread ???
    forums.powweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53
    You may need to add h t t p:// in front of the link
    I cannot post complete links at the moment.

I haven't posted in that forum, as so many other people have already done so. Scroll down and see the number of threads and replies in them!

Anyways, enough said I believe. I have no reason to say that powweb are bad, if they are not. Just take my word and don't ever sign up with them!

Ohh now I see... strange all of them are having the same problem, MySql Server not working. Thanks for that Yaba.

Ive been with powweb for over a year and havent had any serious problems with them yet.

Im just about to open a new website with them ill see how it goes.
    I could tell you a joke about UDP. But I'm not sure you would get it!

It is all matter of time. May be you are not using the MySql for your web-site, but not sure about that, which is why you did not have the problem that most of the clients for PowWeb had. You can check the forums of PowWeb for this.

I do not think that powweb have a serious problem with MySQL in all servers, few months ago, all servers we have with Fedora 2 caused a problems with cpanel so you can not say that all company have problem with cpanel .. I think the reaction is slower in bigger companies, we could fix the 4 servers in 1 day, but if we have 100 servers then the fix will take much longer.

If you're unsatisfied, use the 30-day money back (you said its been only 1-2 weeks) get a refund and move on!

PowWeb has had rather mixed reviews. They may have been great in the past, I don't know...
    Being a large corporation does not guarantee quality, unfortunately.
    Web Hosting Reviews — based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

Originally posted by blue27
    Go ahead.
    Convince me.
    Go to their forums and do a search for 'Morrow'. Read all of my posts, and if that doesn't convince you...

Since April 11th, 2005 - Present, my site has been unavailable 566 times (FIVE HUNDRED SIXTY Six). I've given up on their useless phone robots who simply say, "We'll get back to you in 24hrs" then they reply back to you with, "We're working on it" .... ticket now closed.

Usually when I'm down, they tell me it's my ISP or bad coding with the software I'm using.

So why haven't I left yet? Because my data base would take me forever to move, so I just deal with it. I will say though, I have looked at a place called <anotherhostname.com>. From what others have told me, they've been really happy with the service / support. When my Powweb runs out in May, I will not renew again. I'm so unhappy with them at this point, I think I'd suffer a less painfull experience jumping out of an airplane without a parachute, and I'm not kidding.

Good luck to you guys.

What does this have to do with Powweb? Powweb does not use Cpanel.

Originally posted by 2Mhost
    I do not think that powweb have a serious problem with MySQL in all servers, few months ago, all servers we have with Fedora 2 caused a problems with cpanel so you can not say that all company have problem with cpanel .. I think the reaction is slower in bigger companies, we could fix the 4 servers in 1 day, but if we have 100 servers then the fix will take much longer.

Originally posted by 2Mhost
    I can get what you are trying to mention over here. But can this be provided as the reason for the down time. A company cannot provide an excuse that as we are having 100 servers it will take some time for us to rectify the problem. With the increase in the number of clients and the servers it is bound that the staff will surely increase along with that.

they re on *bsd and not using cpanel anyways

They have their own CP called "Ops" which is home brewed in-house.

they re on *bsd and not using cpanel anyways
    73's, Kim
    Everything happens for a reason I make up.

Originally posted by KimmiKat
    They have their own CP called "Ops" which is home brewed in-house.
    after reading this thread maybe it should be renamed oops

and yes, powweb mysql outages are back :/
    so the problem was temporarily resolved for 20 days :/

aaaaand a few more...
    its been down all day today

mySQL error: Too many connections
    mySQL error code:
    Date: Monday 23rd of May 2005 01:11:12 PM

Thanks for letting me know of their standard of services. i wont be recommending them to anybody.

I"m actually in the process of looking for a replacement host after 1.5 years. I thought I had found the perfect one, however I was wrong.

I also thought I had found a repllacement host, but they do not have mysql 4.1. Any recommendations for a host with multiple domains (4 minimum) 2gb storage 30+gb transfer and mysql4.1

I'd recommend you consider a VPS.
    Tektonic is good, PowerVPS is also good.

I could recommend a few shared hosts, but most don't have mysql 4.1 - I have 4.0.16 currently.

A VPS should allow you to update to whatever version you prefer.

Originally posted by virtualweb1
    I'd recommend you consider a VPS.
    Tektonic is good, PowerVPS is also good.

I could recommend a few shared hosts, but most don't have mysql 4.1 - I have 4.0.16 currently.

A VPS should allow you to update to whatever version you prefer.
    VPS is probably too much work for me. If I wanted that much work, I would buy another computer install linux and host my sites with my own server from home.

At least my understanding is that VPS requires a lot of work re: security, and other things..

Your understanding is correct.
    Webair Internet Development Inc.
    Shared Hosting • Managed Dedicated Servers • SEO
    1.866.WEBAIR.1 • www.webair.com • 24/7/365 Support • Adult Friendly
    My comments do not reflect the views of the company or its management.

Re: PowWeb? Thanx but no Thanx!

Just wanted to let any potential customers know about PowWeb's aweful service. I've signed up with them about 1-2 weeks ago, and all I've been getting since then is downtimes! Seriously, there haven't been a single day running normally. Their logs don't even log the errors, so you can't even know about them, unless your unhappy customers let you know! Their support? Responses like "we re looking into it" and "it's probably your ISP's fault" are just not good enough.

That 99.9% uptime they re advertising is nothing but lies. I've had about 99.9% downtime!

If you re about to decide what host to chose, just don't select PowWeb, and one day you'll probably thank me!

If you don't believe me, or you need more info, just reply here and I'm sure I'll convince you.
    Yaba is correct - I have been running my website since 1997 and after outgrowing my fourth webhost I signed up with Powweb in Oct. What a mistake. Powweb is poor at best. I'm not one to believe the grass is greener on the other side of the fence but after rolling around in Powweb's briar patch and contending with one database error after another I've had enough.

Two weeks after opening a bb and picture classifieds they started doing "upgrades" and moved other users to the server I was on. Shouldn't be a problem but they somehow managed to corrupt my database and I ending up starting over. This was after I spent hours checking and reloading all the files to correct a problem that was on their end.

And I've never experienced such worthless support. After I finally got somebody to answer their phone and explained what was going on their 'support' told me they didn't understand the problem and only admins do database support. "Fine," I said "transfer me to an admin." "Sorry, admins are only available by email." they tell me. So I created a support ticket as instructed - which was NEVER answered.

I got through the initial problems and stuck it out hoping they'd get their "upgrades" taken care of. They do NOT notify you of changes or upgrades either. They will post announcements in their forum but unless you check it everyday you're likely to get blindsided when your site goes down. Things smoothed out till around the first of the year and then it was here-we-go-again. More database problems, more errors, more headaches, no support and no answers.

They have a user forum which looks like a great idea until you realize it's there because the only support you're likely to get is from other users.

And today? See for yourself, I've made no changes but today my email is full of:

Link-ID == false, connect failed
    mysql error:

mysql error number: 0

Date: Monday 23rd of May 2005 01:43:13 PM

I've put off planned upgrades to my website hoping Powweb would stabilize but it's not going to happen. Powweb has managed to make my enjoyable part-time hobby website a full-time headache. It's time to move.

I can say only good words about powweb.
    I'm using it and haven't no problems yet.

I seriously don't understand why they are rated in the top hosts on some sites. I've seen many bad reviews about Powweb.

Originally posted by SonicGuy756
    I seriously don't understand why they are rated in the top hosts on some sites. I've seen many bad reviews about Powweb.
    People only tend to post about hosts when it is bad. Not too many people just post a "Good job" or "Pat on the back to... host name here".

Back to the issue at hand. Take screenshots of the errors your receive and with the page not displaying. You can also trace route the path to your site to see where it is dropping packets causing the page not to load. It may also help to have screenshots from multiple machines using different ISPs (ask a friend to help).

It may be something the tech just can't see... so give him a visual of whats going on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast