Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anti-"Day of Silence"

For anyone not familiar, the "Day of Silence" was a day where people refused to talk, to bring light to the fact that people who are homosexual cannot be open about their feelings.

At my school, a half dozen kids wore an "Adam and Eve, Not Adam and Steve" shirt to school, with biblical references on the back. They were sent home an hour before the end of the day.

I personally believe that it's a disgrace not to let people show their belief, especially with the the amount of people who took part in the "Day of Silence."

What do you think?
      0 Not allowed!

I personally don't think any of this crap belongs in the schools.
      0 Not allowed!

its really a stupid idea truthfully. Its like being a troll on these forums inciting people to react. If I would of saw that shirt I would of probably say something to insult them or mock them.

I would also like to make a note that i'm not gay, but believe in gay rights.
    Kerry Jones
      0 Not allowed!

Although I believe homesexuals should have the right to marry, I find it unfair to send home kids who disagree with homosexuality.

You can't let one group give their side of the story without letting the other group give theirs. It just seems a little one-sided.
      0 Not allowed!

Kerry, wouldn't they think the same thing though?

They weren't being aggressive or hateful, just stating their opinion.
      0 Not allowed!

Being anti gay is a prejudice. No different than being anti black or anti Jew.

How would you like it if kids started wearing shirts to school that said Adam and Eve were white, not black.
      0 Not allowed!

It is prejudice, but it's just as fair as people participating in the "Day of Silence."

Plus, sending them home won't change their opinions.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by DanX
    It is prejudice, but it's just as fair as people participating in the "Day of Silence."

Plus, sending them home won't change their opinions.

It's not really the same at all. Especially when it comes down to the law.
    I can publicly say that I believe all men are created equally.
    I cannot publicly say that a certain race is scum and they all should be eliminated.
      0 Not allowed!

The thing is, the group was not saying that certain people were scum, just that regarding marriage and other issues, they should not be treated the same. It's a thin line, but it wasn't calling them scum or saying that they should cease to exist.
      0 Not allowed!

Kerry, wouldn't they think the same thing though?

They weren't being aggressive or hateful, just stating their opinion.
    Yes, but how many times in school are we told "keep your hands, free, and other objects to yourself" just like how your mom says if you don't have anything nice don't say it at all. If I hate a person I would never say it outloud. I would keep it to myself because I know it would incite violence. lucky for most I don't get anger nor do I really hate people unless of course they hate me.
    Kerry Jones
      0 Not allowed!

If you can only say "nice" things, then you might as well kiss our first amendment goodbye.
      0 Not allowed!

Kids have enough hard times these days in school and it is already well aware of that they do not know how to vent their anger properly.

There should be more support for the kids and not ways to show that they are "different" and the support should come from the counselors not the other kids. It is way too tough growing up & the kids cannot offer the type of support that is needed.

I think most kids cannot be open about their feelings anyway for fear of what others will day / do no matter what
    Last edited by Corey Bryant; 04-17-2005 at 06:16 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Not exactly DanX. I mean you don't see me going out and saying "I support Gay Rights" people who do not would dislike me and if I said "I don't support Gay Rights" the ones who do would like me and the gays and lesbians would dislike me. Its really moot to expression wheter you like it because either way somebody will end up getting offended. I mean its obvious you use your brain and see most don't support gay rights. I believe this is why polls were created.
    Kerry Jones
      0 Not allowed!

¨The Day of Silence, a project of the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network (GLSEN) in collaboration with the United States Student Association (USSA), is a student-led day of action where those who support making anti-LGBT bias unacceptable in schools take a day-long vow of silence to recognize and protest the discrimination and harassment -- in effect, the silencing -- experienced by LGBT students and their allies.¨

It has nothing to do with feelings... It has everthing to do with discrimination and harassment. Most of the people who take the vow are straight students. The GLSEN students didnt wear tshirts that promote prejudice. Big Difference... How would you feel if half the school showed up wearing ¨Christians practice intolerence just like Hilter¨? Im sure you would be pretty pissed off. Get the point?
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by blue27
    I cannot publicly say that a certain race is scum and they all should be eliminated.
    Why not? Sure you can.

I think those Christian kids should have been able to voice their opinions just the same as the Day of Silence participants voiced theirs. One could say they were being offensive with their t-shirts, but they were probably offended or disgusted at seeing a "Day of Silence" movement, just the same. I'm not condoning either movement, but I believe everyone should be able to voice their opinions; everyone has a say in a matter, and we should listen no matter how crazy or irrational their opinion might sound.

By sending the anti-gay rights students home, the school expressed their bias in an issue, which is not their job nor their right in the first place.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by SniperDevil
    Why not? Sure you can.

I think those Christian kids should have been able to voice their opinions just the same as the Day of Silence participants voiced theirs. One could say they were being offensive with their t-shirts, but they were probably offended or disgusted at seeing a "Day of Silence" movement, just the same. I'm not condoning either movement, but I believe everyone should be able to voice their opinions; everyone has a say in a matter, and we should listen no matter how crazy or irrational their opinion might sound.

By sending the anti-gay rights students home, the school expressed their bias in an issue, which is not their job nor their right in the first place.
    Actually the Christian kids expressed themselves through a tshirt, they did not actually voice their opinion what so ever by wearing a tshirt. The other children who vowed silence did not voice or express their opinion, they symbolized it. HUGE difference.
      0 Not allowed!

I think Day of Silence is a great idea, because it will end intolerence just like Hands Across America ended world hunger in 1986.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by case
    Actually the Christian kids expressed themselves through a tshirt, they did not actually voice their opinion what so ever by wearing a tshirt. The other children who vowed silence did not voice or express their opinion, they symbolized it. HUGE difference.
    I'm sorry, perhaps I misphrased my original statement in saying "voice" one's opinions. Whether the means by which one expresses one's opinions are explicit (voice, action, messages) or implicit (symbols; silence, prayer, etc.) does not make a bit of difference, except in a practical sense, where the former might get out of hand and provoke violence or police interference. The means by which they are expressing their points of view are trivial compared to the message they are conveying.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Disgruntled
    I think Day of Silence is a great idea, because it will end intolerence just like Hands Across America ended world hunger in 1986.
    They say ignorance is bliss; well you, my friend, epitomize that!
      0 Not allowed!

case, the shirt represents what they think. therefore it is their voice.
    Kerry Jones
      0 Not allowed!

It's not really the same at all. Especially when it comes down to the law.
    So what you're saying is freedom of speech is only for liberals.

Awesome.
    Jim Reardon - jim/amusive.com
      0 Not allowed!

I'm sorry, perhaps I misphrased my original statement in saying "voice" one's opinions. Whether the means by which one expresses one's opinions are explicit (voice, action, messages) or implicit (symbols; silence, prayer, etc.) does not make a bit of difference, except in a practical sense, where the former might get out of hand and provoke violence or police interference. The means by which they are expressing their points of view are trivial compared to the message they are conveying.
    Yeah, whatever...lol. One group is saying homosexuality is wrong. Another group is saying the way that some homosexuals are treated is wrong. You dont have to agree with homosexuality to know that someone who gets beat up for being a homosexual is wrong.

Once again, A HUGE difference. Youŕe comparing apples to oranges.
    Last edited by case; 04-17-2005 at 07:24 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

-->

Awesome.
    amusive, its in our constitution.
    Kerry Jones
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by amusive.com

Awesome.

Very intelligent.

If you have something worthwhile to add please to.
    Otherwise your inane comments can be saved for the Fox News forums.
      0 Not allowed!

Yeah, whatever...lol. One group is saying homosexuality is wrong. Another group is saying the way that some homosexuals are treated is wrong. You dont have to agree with homosexuality to know that someone who gets beat up for being a homosexual is wrong.

Once again, A HUGE difference. Youŕe comparing apples to oranges.
    How am I comparing apples to oranges? In fact, their messages are of the same topic, and thus can be compared. Now, if I compared someone saying, "9/11 was bad" to another saying, "this is a good book", you might have a point.

How can it be absolutely known as a common truth that someone who is condemning homosexuality is bad, or "wrong"? Apparently it isn't a common truth, for there are plenty who dissent.

Besides, who said anything about getting "beat up"? You just slipped that right in there on your own accord and with no basis; nobody said the protesters wearing anti-gay rights t-shirts beat up the Day of Silence participants.

If they had "beat up homosexuals", there is no question that is wrong, as you are causing physical harm to another individual. Now you, my friend, are comparing apples to oranges.

Physical harm cannot be denied; emotional harm is in the hands of that person subject to it.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Disgruntled
    Am I detecting a tinge of sarcasim in your post?
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!
      0 Not allowed!

I firmly support gay rights, but being less productive and/or not voicing your opinion doesn't help it at all.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Aussie Bob
    Am I detecting a tinge of sarcasim in your post?
    While I did detect sarcasm in his post as well, I would agree with him. Most of these efforts, while well-intentioned, usually don't produce widespread results. It is ultimately up to the people to change their attitudes about a certain issue, and while spreading your message -- whatever it may be -- helps, it won't effect drastic change. That's not to say I don't agree with such demonstrations, movements, and causes -- I do agree with those whose causes I support -- but I feel it is ultimately a matter of acceptance of change, and thus, due to the inherent nature of us, a matter of time and drilling the same messages into people's heads before change is brought about.

EDIT: Aussie Bob, it appears we posted at the exact same time, for I missed your latest comment. I indeed did catch the sarcastic nature of his post, and am replying to it in this post. Perhaps my humor was too dry...
    Last edited by SniperDevil; 04-17-2005 at 08:17 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

I think you missed the slight sarcasim in his post.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!
      0 Not allowed!

Being anti gay is a prejudice. No different than being anti black or anti Jew.

How would you like it if kids started wearing shirts to school that said Adam and Eve were white, not black.
    Wise words there.
    Jean-Pierre Abboud / I'm the TekGURU
    www.Gotekky.com / Managed and Self-Managed hosting solutions
    Toll free: 1.888.915.4400 / Local: 1.514.316.1885 / Live chat
    Cloud VPS Hosting
      0 Not allowed!

How am I comparing apples to oranges? In fact, their messages are of the same topic, and thus can be compared. Now, if I compared someone saying, "9/11 was bad" to another saying, "this is a good book", you might have a point.
    Just because their messages are the same topic doesn't make them equal. In fact, that is the ver batim meaning of "apples and oranges" just because they are both fruit doesn't make them the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by SniperDevil
    One could say they were being offensive with their t-shirts, but they were probably offended or disgusted at seeing a "Day of Silence" movement, just the same.
    Should we start removing civil rights celebrations from schools, because it offends or disgusts racists? Discrimination is still discrimination, even if the Bible tells you to promote it.
    A well-reasoned assumption is very close to fact.
    - Adorno
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by JustinH
    Just because their messages are the same topic doesn't make them equal. In fact, that is the ver batim meaning of "apples and oranges" just because they are both fruit doesn't make them the same thing.
    I didn't say they were equal; there are different kinds of apples. However, they are at least able to be compared.

Originally posted by JustinH
    Should we start removing civil rights celebrations from schools, because it offends or disgusts racists? Discrimination is still discrimination, even if the Bible tells you to promote it.
    I think you're taking my post way out of context; you probably haven't read my earlier posts, because I have been supporting the rights of both parties to demonstrate their opinions in a peaceful manner all along. However, I would be the last person to endorse discrimination.
      0 Not allowed!

Although I believe homesexuals should have the right to marry, I find it unfair to send home kids who disagree with homosexuality.
    Would you complain if a child was kicked out of school for wearing a shirt that said "God made Adam and Eve, not Jamal and Felisha" ?
      0 Not allowed!

You mean Hands Across America didn't cure world hunger?
    Oh, right, now I remember. There was a gap (this part I'm not making up) on Interstate 40 west of Winslow, Arizona. I was on the overpass at Winslow taking pictures that day and saw it.
      0 Not allowed!

How can it be absolutely known as a common truth that someone who is condemning homosexuality is bad, or "wrong"? Apparently it isn't a common truth, for there are plenty who dissent.

Besides, who said anything about getting "beat up"? You just slipped that right in there on your own accord and with no basis; nobody said the protesters wearing anti-gay rights t-shirts beat up the Day of Silence participants.

If they had "beat up homosexuals", there is no question that is wrong, as you are causing physical harm to another individual. Now you, my friend, are comparing apples to oranges.

Physical harm cannot be denied; emotional harm is in the hands of that person subject to it.
    No, their messages are not of the same topic if you dig deep enough. Many Christian churchs have a firm stance. They believe homosexuality is wrong and immoral. These shirts only affirm that belief. Every member of the church may not believe this, however the ones wearing the shirts that confirm that idea do.

This is from the Day of Silence website which I will quote again:

"student-led day of action where those who support making anti-LGBT bias unacceptable in schools take a day-long vow of silence to recognize and protest the discrimination and harassment"

I don't see anywhere in on thier website that says "SUPPORT GAYS", "HOMOSEXUALITY ISNT WRONG"... The day of silence was designed for different reasons.

You obviously didn't understand what I was saying when I mentioned "beat up". Hense the reason you dont understand what the Day of Silence is all about or why these are two seperate issues. The day of silence isn't about morals or being right or wrong, its about treating everyone equally and tolerance. The reason I mentioned "beat up" is because many victims of discrimination have acts of violence commited against them not to mention verbal abuse and other forms of day to day harressment.

Now, I don't really agree with homosexuality, hense the reason im heterosexual. However just because someone is a homosexual doesn't mean they should be harressed or discriminated upon. People wearing those shirts are saying "I don agree with you/You're wrong" which is of course is going to start a debate and cause issues, not to mention it isn't fair. If a homosexual student wore a "Christians believe in incest if they believe in adam in eve" tshirt i'd say the kid needs to go home and change their shirt. Now this might be his or her belief, but it might offend a bunch of christian people and others and thats not fair either. These tshirts villanize the beliefs and morals of others just like the homosexual students tshirt would too. The Day of silence does not. The tshirt method is ment to impose a belief that homosexuality is wrong which makes these 2 messages completely different.
      0 Not allowed!

The best thing anyone has said so far is "heterosexuals don't have a day of silence, why should homosexuals?" Normal kids get bullied as well.

Wasn't there a thread recently which discussed the fact that kids don't have to say the pledge of allegiance? Why should they be forced to *endorse* homosexuality in anyway? I thought US has this amendment...that says people have the right to free speech, what ever happened to that?

This is from the Day of Silence website which I will quote again:

"student-led day of action where those who support making anti-LGBT bias unacceptable in schools take a day-long vow of silence to recognize and protest the discrimination and harassment

I don't see anywhere in on thier website that says "SUPPORT GAYS", "HOMOSEXUALITY ISNT WRONG"... The day of silence was designed for different reasons.
    Most people don't know that, especially kids in schools, so they think they are supporting it and if everyone in schools believes the same thing, they really are supporting homosexuality. Besides, the day is endorsing homosexuality just by taking the time to talk (or not talk) about it (this isn't always true).

Now, I don't really agree with homosexuality, hense the reason im heterosexual.
    That's something we agree on.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by mikeylove
    Would you complain if a child was kicked out of school for wearing a shirt that said "God made Adam and Eve, not Jamal and Felisha" ?
    Why are they being kicked out in the first place, though? Rather than discussing/educating, it's just telling them that they have no right to opinions.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Lev
    The best thing anyone has said so far is "heterosexuals don't have a day of silence, why should homosexuals?" Normal kids get bullied as well.

Wasn't there a thread recently which discussed the fact that kids don't have to say the pledge of allegiance? Why should they be forced to *endorse* homosexuality in anyway? I thought US has this amendment...that says people have the right to free speech, what ever happened to that?

Where does it say any kid has to "endorse" homosexuality?
    You seem a little confused.

As far as why there is no day of silence for heterosexuals, maybe when homosexuals are treated equally, like being allowed to get married for instance, there will be no need of a day of silence for anyone.
      0 Not allowed!

Where does it say any kid has to "endorse" homosexuality?
    You seem a little confused.

As far as why there is no day of silence for heterosexuals, maybe when homosexuals are treated equally, like being allowed to get married for instance, there will be no need of a day of silence for anyone.
    The kids were kicked out for not following the day of silence... that's where it *says* that they are forced to endorse homosexuality. Isn't that obvious or must it be written on somebody's forehead ? (The actual "sponsors" do not say this.)

Kids are bullied, is there an anti-bully day?

I won't go into my beliefs much, I however feel that homosexuality is somewhat wrong no matter what causes it. If anyone would like to comment, you can keep it to yourself, it won't change my view (I have the right to my own beliefs).
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Lev
    The kids were kicked out for not following the day of silence...

They were????????????????????

Put aside your prejudice for a couple of minutes and read the original post again.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast