China tells Japan: no apology

A quick update to the whole China - Japan saga which looks to be deteriorating towards conflict as each hour passes.

China has told Japan it has nothing to apologise for after weeks of sometimes violent anti-Japanese protests across the country.
    http://www.itv.com/news/world_1696534.html

What does the future have in store for peace between these two countries?

Jord
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius

They're not going to go to war about it. Japan will probably have to suck up their frustations for now. Sometime in the future this will probably put some Yen into Malaysia's economy as some Japanese projects get located there instead of China

I'm confused: what does China want from Japan that started this conflict to begin with? Did conflict arise out of a petty matter stemming from post-WWII discontent, or is it something recent?

Maybe with the booming economy, China has finally decided to update their history books to include World War II, and so that is why the Chinese people who have just read about it are so shocked and indignant. If you believe that one, I have a bridge I'd like to sell you.

I think it could be a way to try to intimidate the Japanese government for being critical of China's threats to Taiwan. Japan is not a military threat to China, but for a good long while Japanese decisions on investments in China carried some power. I think Beijing is sending a message to Tokyo that that power has waned. China can now reinvest its own capital and slap its own brand names on any Japanese-owned factory that isn't sufficiently cooperatve with Beijing.

Originally posted by SniperDevil
    I'm confused: what does China want from Japan that started this conflict to begin with? Did conflict arise out of a petty matter stemming from post-WWII discontent, or is it something recent?
    Their army massacred 100 of thousands of people in Nanjing and took thousands of women as sex slaves to satisfy their soldiers. Such things also happened in the rest of Asia, South-East and Korea.

The textbook issue is surely a side show, this is really about China and Japan jostling for economic growth, power and influence in the region. China does not want a third Security Council neighbour and both need the energy promised by the gas fields.