Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hosting reviews

hosting reviews

Hi everyone,

I need to find a new host since it looks like affordablehost has become unreliable. Are there any web sites that have trustworthy reviews of hosts? These forums seem great, and I'm glad that I found them, but the two general answers seem to be "do a search of the forums" (great info can be found, but no systematic way to compare between different users opinions) and "don't always go for the cheapest." (granted, but pricey is not equal to good. i used to have verio and they would go ahead and change settings in critical things like mysql without warning and then our entire site would break on a saturday evening, ruining that night until we could restore things. not the way i want to play. so pricey is not the same thing as good!)

welcome friendship, does point u stated are done by affordablehost?

come again?

Since you noticed that most people say "do a search on the forums" I'll just add one point to that to help you a little (hopefully) -- try searching for 'review'
    Automated Tendencies - Brand Management Agency from Baltimore, Maryland.
    Reputation Management • Search Engine Optimization • Pay Per Click • Email Marketing

oi. that's what i was afraid of. so there is nowhere one can turn to.

Step 1: See http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumd...p?s=&forumid=4 and check it every day for a few days. Make a list of companies you think suit your needs from this.

Step 2: Search the company name on the forum, including review is great. So if the company name is dlskhost search for "dlskhost review"

Read reviews, and contact the hosts themselves. By talking to the staff you can normally get an impresion of the level of service they provide.

Another tip is to read through these forums on a regular basis, you will get a good idea of the hosts that have a good rep pretty quickly.

Originally posted by u2mike
    Step 1: See http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumd...p?s=&forumid=4 and check it every day for a few days. Make a list of companies you think suit your needs from this.

Step 2: Search the company name on the forum, including review is great. So if the company name is dlskhost search for "dlskhost review"

Read reviews, and contact the hosts themselves. By talking to the staff you can normally get an impresion of the level of service they provide.

Another tip is to read through these forums on a regular basis, you will get a good idea of the hosts that have a good rep pretty quickly.
    Make sure to look out for the "too good to be true" ones as well!
    Automated Tendencies - Brand Management Agency from Baltimore, Maryland.
    Reputation Management • Search Engine Optimization • Pay Per Click • Email Marketing

What are you basing the statement that Affordablehost has become unreliable on?
    Are you a client of theirs? If so do you have a URL to your website?

read this and tell me if this is how you want a host provider to respond to an attack? by not notifying its customers? www .technicalsupportnow.com/joejob.html (note, you have to close the spaces to make that work.

maybe you could tell me if that's appropriate behavior. given some of the problems that another user had with affordablehost on this forum, i am reluctant to give out details about my servers until i have another host in place. but tell me, is this appropriate behavior?

yes, i am a client of theirs, incidentally, which is why i am thinking of moving.

I don't understand.
    Was it you who had the problems with the email?

i had problems, but according to that faq a lot of people had problems and were not notified. that's what the faq says! so tell me, is this it appropriate to let customers know about such problems through a faq you only find out about if you ask why your email is missing or delayed? note also that the faq doesn't say when the attack started.

Well, if they're having email problems, then emailing their end users wouldn't work. Did they add anything to affordablehost.com or technicalsupportnow.com websites notifying customers who visit those sites?

It sounds like you were directed to that URL after you emailed them about the issue?
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

Please understand that to send out a mass email, at this point, would only make matters worse and further clog up the system. As soon as our network administrator deems it safe, we will send out a notification.

What exactly do you expect the host to do in the situation described?

I don't see how this has anything to do with Affordablehost's reliability at all.

it seems to be that it's entirely reasonable to send out notice that email is going down, or, once the attack is over (note the faq says that), to send out notice that emails may have gone missing or been delayed. reliability doesn't just mean whether or not a site is up, it means whether you can rely on them to notify you when something goes wrong.

could someone else pitch in here? am i mad for thinking that this isn't acceptable behavior?

hi ctg, nope, nothing on the sites about the problem.

moreover, they ask you to maintain another email address for tech purposes. fine, i have an email that's unrelated to their email servers. you'd think they would also have an off-site server that could send emails to their users in situations like these. how hard can that be, right?

Based on what I read I think there's not much reason to doubt AH.

Apparently someone was after them. Posting a big announcement on their main site would have helped customers, but (potentially) it would have given the bad guys the kind of feedback that they were after and motivate them to continue their attack.

As for the other supposedly better ways of handling things, perhaps there were valid reasons why those methods could not be employed either. We'll just have to wait for Tina to give us the details.

Really, there's not much more I can add that hasn't been stated here: http://www.technicalsupportnow.com/joejob.html

Although we tell our customers to keep an email address on file that isn't on our network, for in the event of an emergency, not many bother. There's no way we were going to risk sending 1000s of emails back into the systems that were being affected.

Attacks like these are regrettable and I apologize to all who's email was unreliable during this attack.

--Tina

Originally posted by friendship7
    you'd think they would also have an off-site server that could send emails to their users in situations like these. how hard can that be, right?
    Our affordablehost.com email wasn't affected. Our website is on a private server that's not running Cpanel, etc. It was 6 Cpanel servers that got hit.

--Tina

As the notice said:
    Some of you are understandably concerned that we did not send out a mailing on this issue. Please understand that to send out a mass email, at this point, would only make matters worse and further clog up the system. As soon as our network administrator deems it safe, we will send out a notification.
    I'm sure this was posted on the AH forums too so the info was available in various places.
    Laurence Flynn @ HostNEXUS.com
    Managed WordPress Hosting Solutions
    Focused on speed. Obsessed with security.

Originally posted by NexDog
    As the notice said:

I'm sure this was posted on the AH forums too so the info was available in various places.
    Our forums are offline, as phpBB was being hit as well. Our chat, however, has been up and we all worked overtime answering HelpDesk tickets as fast as we possibly could throughout this attack.

--Tina

Originally posted by AH-Tina
    Our forums are offline, as phpBB was being hit as well
    Ah, isn't this business fun.
    Laurence Flynn @ HostNEXUS.com
    Managed WordPress Hosting Solutions
    Focused on speed. Obsessed with security.

gosh, i guess i'm demanding the impossible.

this wasn't meant to be a thread dedicated to criticizing AH in the first place although blue27 wanted to know.

the point was, i'm unhappy-although as idcdc points out, only because i'm demanding the impossible, which is reliable email or, at least, notification of email being unreliable. So, I concede that point, but are there hosts that offer the impossible? attacks like that one are regrettably a fact of life today. i'm looking for a host that is has, in the past, handled situations like this in an exemplary manner (although according to some, i'm already at one since not notifying your users until they squak is the appropriate reaction).

(although according to some, i'm already at one since not notifying your users until they squak is the appropriate reaction).
    In this particular situation as it has been described by AH, yes, IMO, they had some valid reasons not to use a general announcement.

but are there hosts that offer the impossible?
    It is possible that another host would do the opposite of what AH did and post an announcement on their site, send emails to notify customers etc. But then, maybe the attack would still be in full swing at this time. We will never know.

Each customer that leaves because of an attack (of any type), is a small victory for the attackers.

yes, and losing the emails i lost without any knowledge that i had lost them cost me $5,000. thanks.

i guess it's time to ditch the internet as anything remotely resembling a reliable system of communication. gotta love this business.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast