Question Are such errors very often for shared hosting or I have such host?

Hi,
    Every day (or 24 hours) my web site has error
    "The page cannot be displayed"
    or
    "Cannot find server".

These errors are disappears in about 60 minutes. I think it is because of shared host provider server upgrade or backup.

Are such errors very often for Linux shared hosting or I have such host?

Thank you.

If your site is going down for 60 minutes a day it is certainly not normal.

Even if they are doing daily maintenance you should not notice any downtime.

Yeah, that's certainly not in the norm for a pay host.. Drop them an email, ask about it. I'm sure they will reply with something
    Automated Tendencies - Brand Management Agency from Baltimore, Maryland.
    Reputation Management Search Engine Optimization Pay Per Click Email Marketing

Originally posted by blue27
    If your site is going down for 60 minutes a day it is certainly not normal.

Even if they are doing daily maintenance you should not notice any downtime.
    What is "normal" down time for shared hosting per 24 hours?

Thank you.

From what I have seen, none. If anything, less than 20 minutes. (when I say none, obviously that's not EVERY day of the month due to upgrades, reboots etc.)

Originally posted by RefreshNet
    Yeah, that's certainly not in the norm for a pay host.. Drop them an email, ask about it. I'm sure they will reply with something
    Hi,
    The answer is server upgrade or backup.

If the server becomes unavailable due to a backup, they need a server upgrade as soon as possible.

And upgrades every night require a reboot? I have not heard that before.. at least recently.

Originally posted by Oleks
    Hi,
    If they are down for 60 minutes a day because of server upgrade or backup then they have some serious issues.

60 minutes a month for these matters is barely tolerable.

I would definitely change host if I was facing these problems. Especially if this happens without prior notice. Problems like these rarely happen on a Linux server, but if this server hosts too many websites, the problem might be that the server cannot cope with the load and is unavailable when too many HTTP requests are occuring.

Re: Are such errors very often for shared hosting or I have such host?

Hi,
    Every day (or 24 hours) my web site has error
    "The page cannot be displayed"
    or
    "Cannot find server".

These errors are disappears in about 60 minutes. I think it is because of shared host provider server upgrade or backup.

Are such errors very often for Linux shared hosting or I have such host?

Thank you.
    Hi,
    Have you contacted your host regarding these 'outages'?
    Jim
    RotoHOST.com
    webhosting solutions for e-Business

He has Jim.
    Already been stated in this thread.

Hi,
    They're lying to you. They wouldn't be upgrading the server everyday for 60 minutes, and backups don't cause any downtime. I would switch from them immediately.
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Including an RSS feed that you can syndicate!
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Unlimited vs. Unmetered bandwidth

They're lying to you. They wouldn't be upgrading the server everyday for 60 minutes, and backups don't cause any downtime. I would switch from them immediately.
    Definitely 100% lying through their teeth. Server upgrades of os will not cause an hour of pure outage nearly ever. Even on freebsd when doing upgrades it might cause some slight latency but if not properly it will only cause 2-3 minutes of downtime if that as the only time it would become unavailable is for the actual reboot itself.

On top of which no host in the right mind is going to do maintenance that will cause an outage daily. If they are in need of doing such a thing then you are best looking elsewhere since that is an indication of a novice admin right there.

Hope my view on this helps you out some in your decision.

-Justin
    Justin Schurawlow :: Technology Enthusiast
    Schurawlow PC Repair
    Computer Services for the Lehigh Valley area
    Blog :: The Justin Schurawlow Blog

Originally posted by artzweb
    I would definitely change host if I was facing these problems. Especially if this happens without prior notice. Problems like these rarely happen on a Linux server, but if this server hosts too many websites, the problem might be that the server cannot cope with the load and is unavailable when too many HTTP requests are occuring.
    Even though it's a little late, I agree 110%. Get the heck away from that company and go for someone a little more reliable.

A shared hosting account is hosted on a physical server and the uptime should pretty much be the same as that of a dedicated server. It should have more update in my opinion as it should be something which the web host should actively monitor and manage. If there is something wrong, they should be on their toes trying to fix the issue. If it gets too crowded, they would need to go balance the load by moving some sites out to another machine.

All in all, I would expect better uptime and less errors than an unmanaged server. If you are facing too much issues then you should start moving out.