CPU to suit heavy bursts of mySQL

Which would be a good mid range CPU to support heavy bursts to mysql?

I'm seeing my AMD XP 2400 burst to 96% and then back to 1 for a second or so. I need to upgrade this as its causing lag.

Which would perform better?

AMD Barton 3000
    or an
    Intel Pentium 4 3ghz with HT?

Also how much of a difference would a SCSI drive make on linux with 1024mb ram? Would I see a massive benefit or just something really small?
    ...loading

What is your current RAM?

I'd say upgrade the RAM and see if it helps. In fact, double it.

I have watch my system stats and it seems the 512mb is plenty for mySQL. its just the CPU load going up.

But the new server I get will have 1024mb. I just need to know which is the btter processor for mySQL.

I only have 1 ste on this server btw.
    ...loading

Get a single or more preferably, a dual opteron. Nothing faster on the market than that.
    Matt Kelly
    WCiT.net
    Managed and Unmanaged
    Budget VPS, Cloud and Colocation

I want to know about something more mid range like the Barton or P4 as I cannot afford a opteron.

The high useage is simple down to the coding of the site but I need something mid range for a temp solution until it can be fixed.
    ...loading

I'd go for the AMD over the p4 then.
    Matt Kelly
    WCiT.net
    Managed and Unmanaged
    Budget VPS, Cloud and Colocation

I'd go for the AMD too. But I would first start with what's causing mysql to take up so much CPU usage. And yes, SCSI drives are alot better than IDE drives, mainly because most SCSI controllers are superiour to IDE controllers.

ok thanks guys the AMD it is. I will also gt the SCSI then.

I know what is using the CPU usage. The forum part of the site is coded badly and uses over 2000 queries to return the forums when a user is logged in. It is searching for every new post since the user last visited. Except it searchs through the entire database each time!
    ...loading

id get more ram and raise the buffers.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance