Red face What happens if a non-US entity registers a .US domain?

I just found that the .US version of a domain name that I am interested in is registered to a non-US company. The live site is of a non-US company as are the Admin contacts. The tech and billing contacts are of register.com (which has a Canadian address) and the site is also hosted (nameservers) by a non-US company.

I don't know how the registration was processed initially, but it certainly does not look like meeting the criterion of only a US entity being the owner of a .US domain.

What are the consequences of this? More appropriately, is there anything that I could do to dislodge the current owner and get my paws around it?

You don't have to be a US company to get a .us domain. Under the so-called Nexus rules .us domains are available to anybody who fulfills the requirement of being

A foreign entity or organization that has a bona fide presence in the United States of America or any of its possessions or territories.

The rules go on to say

Prospective Registrants will certify that they have a “bona fide presence in the United States” on the basis of real and substantial lawful contacts with, or lawful activities in, the United States of America.

I read this to mean that you qualify if you are a foreign company that sells goods in the United States, or if you are a foreign club or similar that has members in the United States. You don't have to be based there.

The fact that Register.com (the registrar) have put themselves down as billing and technical contact is of no relevance at all - and neither is the fact that they put the address of their operations centre in Yarmouth NS instead of their head office in New York NY!

Well I think that .US domains are offered with less limitations than .CA for example. But I agree that it is reasonable to have an .US website if your online activities are related to US or if you represent a legal US company.

Best Regards
    Dimitar
    DawHB.com - Web Hosting Blog | VPSHostDir.com - VPS Hosting Media