CCIE - How long would it take?

I am pretty young, however I would like to look at getting to that level, in a short timeframe. With a photographic memory, how difficult, and long would it be to get a CCIE completed. Skipping the financial requirements. The total in hours to take the exams + labs is 3 weeks (120 hours) according to my calculations.

First off which track are you looking at (CCIE has five tracks)? If you truly have a photographic memory I suppose it is possible to rush through it and pass (not likely, but possible). Most Cisco professionals have years of experience having worked their way through CCNA and CCNP (or other track) before doing CCIE.
    In all likelyhood if you rush through you will become yet another "paper" professional out there creating havoc.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

The particular reason why I want to rush through them all is to put myself in the position of knowing all that there is to know about today's web, I can't say I am anywhere close to familiar with plenty of the cisco equiptment already in production. However I don't skip detail, or logic, so I do not believe I would create havoc if I tried.

-Edit-

Looking at the tracks in the following order of interest:

- Security
    - Routing and Switching
    - Service Provider
    - Voice
    - Storage Networking

I will practically want to go through them all.
    Last edited by e-infinity; 04-17-2005 at 02:24 AM.

I doubt you can just take CCIE like that. I believe CCNP is a pre-requisite for CCIE.

I'm taking CCNA myself currently.
    Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

There are no formal prerequisites for CCIE certification. Other professional certifications and/or specific training courses are not required. Instead, candidates are expected to have an in-depth understanding of the subtleties, intricacies and challenges of end-to-end networking. You are strongly encouraged to have 3-5 years of job experience before attempting certification. To obtain your CCIE, you must first pass a written qualification exam and then a corresponding hands-on lab exam.

Okay then,

The description sounds if it would be very hard Having some basic knowledge would be useful though.

It's your wish =)
    Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

With the utmost of respect - a photographic memory does not neccessarily mean you can fly through the course.
    It is important to make mistakes - only then will you learn some things, the course will give you the oppurtunity to make these mistakes.

Best of luck,

Jord
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius

Originally posted by DJ Plasma

To obtain your CCIE, you must first pass a written qualification exam and then a corresponding hands-on lab exam.

That's where Cisco traditionally separates the men from the boys, the lab exam. While it is not impossible to pass the exam with only "book learning" it is unlikely. While there are exceptions to the rule, most all of the CCNA, CCNP etc. that I know and respect spent many, many hours hands on working with the equipment before taking and passing the exam.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

Right, I am not saying I wont spend my time learning in the shallow end of the pool, but theoretically, a CCNA + CCSP + CCIE (the route they have recommended) then re-taking the CCIE every 3 years to cover the CCNA / CCSP. And of course, hours and hours hands on.

You need hands on, simple as that. What do you know about networking? It gets hefty. I was in the Cisco Academy, which is held by Cisco at my local community college. They have a CCIE track thats about 3 years along, and 3 CCIE teachers. I payed eleven dollars at the time for each class, itś now 33 dollars a class. They have tons of hardware, and real hands on.

We worked at nestle, and did a library project for the County of Los Angeles, including running all of the cable bringing in the t3 to networking the Student portion of the library with the CSU campuses... I had a ball. Then I realized networking is pretty damn boring and changed my major from CMPNET to CMPSCI.