Exclamation Buyer beware Ehostdepot!

I had EhostDepot from march 10th to april 11th they have been a sore in my neck since i moved my site there, with poor service, support, and servers. I took their unix corporate plan with 120 band and 20 gigs disk space. i picked up some add ons and such and they recquired a minimum of 3 months paid in advance. My total was $65 dollars, they waived the setup fee (may have been the monthly special). After all my issues i sent in my cancellation on 04/08/05.

This all happend on 04/11/2005:

So here is what my former company Ehostdepot.com said today. Mind you I filed for cancellation on Friday 04/08/05 stating their service was poor, to the extent that on 03/30/2005 I filed a helpdesk ticket, they never responded to it, to this date, I also have one still open and not even touched from 04/01/2005. Here is a quote of what they say about their service and helpdesk.

Note:
    We respond to all e-mail inquiries anywhere from less than 15 minutes to within 24 hours.

Somehow 13 days and 10 days respectively just don’t sound like the promised service to me. Anyways I digress I called in today and got the business given to me and hung up on. Here is the letter I wrote to the company head. Mind you I know it will do no good.

To whom it may Concern,

My name is *****, I am the owner of site *****. I have to say that I was enticed by the packages you offered for low prices. After being with your hosting company I am rather bothered by the customer service, technical support, and billing assistance that I have received. Since I have been with you guys you have never actually responded to any issue I submitted via the online ticketing service for clients. When I have called in during regular business hours for customer service I always get the leave a voicemail prompt. The only person I have ever spoken to and had a pleasant experience with was Laurence in the billing department, early last week.

Today I called in to check on the status of my cancellation that I sent at the end of the previous week. I was unsure as to whether it was received, as I had not even received a response or even a verification stating that someone had gotten my email. The person that answered the phone explained that I can not cancel over the phone and asked if I had sent an email. I explained that did and that I was calling to make sure that all was going through as I have kind of been left in limbo. Every other host I have ever had at least sends a response stating it has been received and we will process it but it will take X amount of time.

The person who I spoke to a male, didn't give his name, he informed me that my account would be cancelled if I sent the email, when I asked if the refund would be processed as well he bluntly asked me what refund. I explained that I had paid upfront for several months, and his tone changed and he expressed that I had to send an email, that your policy is not to take cancellations over the phone. I said that was fine I already had and that he didn't have to get rude. He immediately got upset and said that I was insulting him for saying he was rude. I explained that his tone of voice had changed and that he sounded rude. He said he wasn't rude he was explaining company policy and that he was not rude and he felt insulted. Before I got another word out he hung up on me.

Now I don't know if this will get to anyone, or even matter as your service from what I have seen so far as your client has been horrible at best, but I want it stated for the record that this was poor treatment and at no time should a representative of a company hang up on a client. I would call back and ask to speak to someone but, I am sure I would get the same guy as it seems only one person works there and there would be no point and no resolution. I state that I would like my account cancelled immediately and my refund processed as soon as possible.
    This email was never responded to as i predicted but the cancellation email just lead to more issues, but was responded to imediately after the above email:

Hello,

We will refund your money but please understand that the following charges apply:

1) A $25 setup charge is applied and deducted from your balance, and

2) You owe us $24 for domain pointing. Those options are non-refundable

Therefore, the difference of $65.85 - $49.00 = $16.85 is due to you. This amount will be refunded

Now this of all things definitely confused me as i had stated above, i was given a free setup, and domain pointing i had asked for 2 days before and had not recieved it on my account it was suppose to be $10 dollars a year for domain pointing. When asked if they truely were going to fully charge me for the domain pointing they said it was company policy and as stated above non-refundable. Yeah that seems BS and very customer unfriendly but i was a little more worried about this magically appearing setup fee. So i replied with the following:

The policy is to charge me a setup fee that you waived when i signed up? I read the cancellation policy in the terms of service and i didnt see that anywhere. I would like the money refunded to the paypal account i used to sign up.

It states right here:
    "Notwithstanding the foregoing, if you terminate your receipt of Shared Hosting Services prior to the end of the first thirty (30) days of the Initial Term, you are entitled to a refund of the fees you paid in advance for the monthly Services, not including any set-up fees. "

Now I was charged no setup Fee of $25 dollars when i setup, i paid teh monthly fee 3 months in advanced. SO minus any setup fee $0, the only valid fee is $24 domain pointing fee. So according to your Terms of service cancellation, my refund should be $65.85 - $24 = $41.85

CANCELLATION / TERMINATION POLICY:
    If you terminate your receipt of the Services prior to the end of the Initial Term or the Renewal Term whichever is then applicable,

(a) EHD will not refund to you any fees paid in advance of such termination, and
    (B) you shall be required to pay 100% of EHD's standard monthly charge for each month remaining in the term, unless otherwise expressly provided in this Agreement.
    Notwithstanding the foregoing, if you terminate your receipt of Shared Hosting Services prior to the end of the first thirty (30) days of the Initial Term, you are entitled to a refund of the fees you paid in advance for the monthly Services, not including any set-up fees. Your termination request or notice must be submitted to EHD in the manner described in the Cancellation Policy. EHD may terminate this Agreement at any time and for any reason by providing to you written notice thirty (3) days prior to the date of termination. If EHD terminates this Agreement, EHD will refund to you the pro-rata portion of pre-paid fees attributable to Services (excluding set-up fees) not yet rendered as of the termination date unless otherwise expressly provided in this Agreement. If EHD is providing hosting services in exchange of other services provided by a customer, the customer is entitled to no refund even if services have been partially or fully completed.
    Licenses granted hereunder will terminate automatically if you fail to comply with the limitations described herein. On termination, you must destroy all copies of any Software and Documentation received.
    They never responded to the above return email, nor have they refunded my money. Im not holding my breath i count it as a loss and a learning experience. But i will state infinitely that they are hands down the worst web host i have ever had teh displeasure of doing business with.

Contact your credit card company. [If you used one].

i used paypal, i am checking to see what my recourse is.

I took their unix corporate plan with 120 band and 20 gigs disk space. i picked up some add ons and such and they recquired a minimum of 3 months paid in advance. My total was $65 dollars. . . .
    I've bolded all the things I plan to use to explain why you need to get some much needed cosnumer education.

Now the math:

65 - 30 cents(standard merchant transaction fee - 65* .025 (standard merchant transaction fee based on paypal 2.5% or whatever.) / 3 (number of months) = $21.225 per month they are getting from you.

Space cost ratio:

21.225 / 20 = $1.06125 per GB of space which is ok

Transfer cost ratio:

21.225 / 120 = $0.176875 per GB this is too low and most likely why your service was poor

Paypal probably won't do jack since they don't cover services aka intangible goods. If you wanted to you could do a chargeback but is it really worth it?
    Last edited by cywkevin; 04-17-2005 at 04:07 AM.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

Originally posted by pixelized
    I've bolded all the things I plan to use to explain why you need to get some much needed cosnumer education.

Now the math:

65 - 30 cents(standard merchant transaction fee - 65* .025 (standard merchant transaction fee based on paypal 2.5% or whatever.) / 3 (number of months) = $21.225 per month they are getting from you.

Space cost ratio:

21.225 / 20 = $1.06125 per GB of space which is ok

Transfer cost ratio:

21.225 / 120 = $0.176875 per GB this is too low and most likely why your service was poor

Paypal probably won't do jack since they don't cover services aka intangible goods. If you wanted to you could do a chargeback but is it really worth it?
    I dont really see the point of this post but...um ok. Thank you for the education, and Im sure if i was running a hosting company, or was a reseller, or a hosting expert it would make more sense. I didnt receive the memo that states how to gauge hostings companies validities or not. Honestly even armed with your equation above which does make sense if there was a chart of some sort rating the equation, i dont know what range per unit is actually correct. It was easy enough for you to say that $1.06125 was decent but how on earth would i know that? I thank you for the consumer education really, but somehow i dont see that as a good tool for rookies or novices, noobs or just flat out complete know nothings to gauge hosting, support, and so on. 65.85 was the total if that makes a difference to the above mathematical equation.

Honestly the true reason for the post was to warn anyone who may see their site on a search and find it as attractive as i. Im a noob i openly admit it and in the span of looking for a good host i came accross this really crappy one. As soon as they returned teh first email telling me i was getting 16 bucks back i kinda dismissed the entire lot as a loss. Paypal wont do anything your right because it is intangible and i would have to prove beyond a shadow of doubt that they failed to supply me with the service promised and they would also ask for the rebuttle from the host and im sure they would claim all was well and dandy. The money is the least of my worries, i included it in the post just to further prove that their Customer service was lacking. Dont take this response the wrong way, im not lashing out at you, i hope it doesnt come off that way.

Never use paypal for virtual services such as hosting! There is protection, absolutly no protection.

If ANYONE, promise ANY service, and you give him ANY money trough paypal, he can just run with your money and continues to use his paypal account without any side effect.
    .:. Enterprise SAN Consultant .:.

Thats a common misconception among buyers who use PayPal to pay for virtual services. They think that they are covered by PayPal buyer protection.

There are steps you can take to get your money back, as someone said before: Issue a chargeback

I suppose another lesson learned here is not to pre-pay for hosting until you're sure of the service you're getting.

As for Ehostdepot I think it was somewhat unprofessional to hang up on a client and furthermore not reply to his service inquirires.

And to menttal, thanks for your review, you've probably saved some people a headache, try to keep contacting them.
    Webair Internet Development Inc.
    Shared Hosting • Managed Dedicated Servers • SEO
    1.866.WEBAIR.1 • www.webair.com • 24/7/365 Support • Adult Friendly
    My comments do not reflect the views of the company or its management.

Originally posted by wanga
    Thats a common misconception among buyers who use PayPal to pay for virtual services. They think that they are covered by PayPal buyer protection.

There are steps you can take to get your money back, as someone said before: Issue a chargeback

I suppose another lesson learned here is not to pre-pay for hosting until you're sure of the service you're getting.

As for Ehostdepot I think it was somewhat unprofessional to hang up on a client and furthermore not reply to his service inquirires.

And to menttal, thanks for your review, you've probably saved some people a headache, try to keep contacting them.

I'm not sure...

While if you pay with credit card, you ACTUALLY give the company your credit card number - then they can continue and charge your bank account and then the problems begin if something go wrong with the host.

If you paypal with paypal you're rather safe, since unless your SUBCRIBE to the service you usually have to manually pay for each invoice. The hosting company has NO way to charge your paypal account unless you approve it(usually a link in your invoice that asks your for your paypal password).

So i think on the worst case , you can lost a month of hosting but you won't be charged with extra money.

Maybe i wrong though, that's the way i've figured it worked until now.

In this case the person paid for 3 months in advance.

In most cases the company does not have your credit card information on file so they wouldn't be able to charge your card if you tell the payment processor to stop payments.

File a complaint with Paypal. Even if it doesn't work, enough complaints about sleazy business dealings will get their account shut down.