Thinking about getting a VPS, but I have a few questions

First off, I'm mainly a Windows web developer, doing most of my stuff in dotnet. That being said, I would like to be able to configure my applications as I want, but it seems so few hosts have very good admin that setting up one thing won't break another. So, I guess I am stuff with getting a VPS so I can do my own configuring. My questions are these: I don't have much admin experience, so is it pretty easy to administer a Windows VPS? Is remoting to the machine hard, and is setting it up (to remote) very hard? How about security, do I need to constantly be updating to make the system secure? I only have XP Pro at home and it's not too bad to keep up, but I'm sure I'll need to get 2003 Web Edition which I've never worked with before. Also, how is setting up domains with 2003? I know I probably sound like a noob but I'd rather ask these questions now then fork down the money and be SOL later.

>I don't have much admin experience, so is it pretty easy to administer a Windows VPS?
    Most VPS plans come with a web control panel, so setting up sites, email, etc. are done through the web control panel. Plesk is an example of a web control panel.

>Is remoting to the machine hard, and is setting it up (to remote) very hard?
    I don't use Windows but I assume you simply use SSH to login. I'm not sure but it might be possible to run GUI remote software. I don't know what it is called on Windows, but something like Timbuktu for Mac OS X.

>How about security, do I need to constantly be updating to make the system secure?
    I would say it depends on your host. Some will hand you the VPS in a pretty secured state, and continue to monitor things, while others will simply hand over the VPS to you. Regardless, you will still need to do some admin because a VPS is like having your own server.

I recommend you visit plesk.com and take a look at the demo of Plesk for Windows. Although I might be wrong, I think most VPS plans are setup based on Linux. Thus, I had better stop trying to answer your questions, sicne I don't know much about Windows.

Cheers,
    Carlos

To connect remotely to a windows box, you can use Remote Desktop Connection which comes with Windows XP. It's very easy, you enter IP, port, set resolution and how many colors you want and that's all.

You should get windows server 2003, from my experience, there's nothing better regarding windows os' so far. As for setting up domains and similar things, just as Carlos said, you would use your control panel and from there, it's piece of cake

I suggest you take a look at www.solidhost.com they offer windows based VPS and they're highly recommendable.

Nice Pricing Solidhost.......Nice generous plans too....