Thread: kernel errors

kernel errors

Does anyone know what this error is related to? It's showing up in my logwatch email:

WARNING: Kernel Errors Present
    audit(1113589392.597:0): avc: denied { append } for pid=29258 exe=/usr/sbin/httpd
    path=/var/webmin/miniserv.error dev=sda3 ino=705...: 1 Time(s)
    vesafb: probe of vesafb0 failed with error -6...: 4 Time(s)

I just had an OS reload on this old server yesterday. The OS is RH ES4.0. I installed webmin on the server (which would explain the webmin reference), but I've never had problem with webmin before. I've installed it on many servers.

New Jersey
    Thats from selinux. See for more information.
    John Quaglieri - InterServer, Inc

Hi, may help you. I can't tell you the exact issue from that, but avc denied warnings refer to access vector rules (which I currently know very little about).

This is part of selinux, which is installed with RHEL 4, basically, the rules set a policy to say what can and cannot be accessed by various parts of the system. You either need to disable selinux or create an appropriate policy for webmin. The page above may help you to create the policy.

To turn off selinux, edit the file /etc/sysconfig/selinux and set :-

Then reboot. Alternatively, if you want to start trying to write an appropriate security policy (which is likely to take a long time for webmin) set the value to :-

In permisive mode, selinux will just log warnings so that you can test your policy without preventing anything from working.

Thank you both - I greatly appreciate your assistance!