Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

own data center, backup and speed ?

more or less all the "top-reputed" shared hosting companises offer the same core, same bells and whistles
    and some top five or ten companies have good support also as well as years in business

i know there is a search button but i will like to know the most recent experiences/data

what or which are the companies that have ( in addition to above ) :
    # own data center
    # backup done by webhost regularly
    ( and not somewhere in TOS it says - its customers responsibility )
    # good speed for endusers ( those who surf the site )

price range : <$6 to $8 , 500 megs+, 2GB min transfer

i found from the forums that affordablehost was good and may be still good but a company with too many such recent posts and keeping on advertising a feature ( a chat room ) which is off for weeks ( says will be up soon in forums - why not say the same on the main site also ? ) - so i ask for recent experiences and data
    i also find from forums site5 good but despite everything being excellent speed seems slower ( is it due to the huge spaces they offer that bogs servers ?) i also find united hosting co ukl but do not understand why they offer so little disc space at $ 8 ( only 200 megs while that shud be at least 500 megs )

thanks in advance for ur opinions

i mention these 3 hosts because going thru "search" does that of sorting for an user - but i mention my worries also about these.

any advice/suggestion will be more than appreciated.

Well, the reason unitedhosting provides the hosting at those prices is because they don't oversell like crazy. Just because everyone else chose to oversell, unitedhosting didn't follow suit.

Yes. Many hosts choose not to oversell and that results in faster servers and much better service.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

i understand "overselling"

but

are the people going to the companies or to some of the companies who oversell ( like site5 - good reviews here, good support etc ) get to get really benefiited if they really need 2 gb space or 1 gb or even 500 megs - this amount of space is *really* provided - isn't it so ?? we thought hard drive prices have gone down - and at $8 , at least 400 to 500 mbs is realistic rather than overselling.
    Further advice / suggestions most welcome , will be more than appreciated.

so , whats the concensus limit that someone is not overselling ?
    say at $7 - $8 what amount of space is just right ?

also, i will like to know which sites do not over advertise - eg affordablehost advertise chat but do not provide it *now* neither it says its currently unavailable in bracket in main page

thanks zeonfx - your link shows you provide at least 500 mbs at less than $5 / month ( annual round off ) WHILE aingaran
    says if unitedhosting provides just more than 200 megs at $8 per montn it will be overselling .......

??? zeonfx are you overselling ? unitedhosting underselling ???

Originally posted by mahut
    thanks zeonfx - your link shows you provide at least 500 mbs at less than $5 / month ( annual round off ) WHILE aingaran
    says if unitedhosting provides just more than 200 megs at $8 per montn it will be overselling .......

??? zeonfx are you overselling ? unitedhosting underselling ???
    Do you expect these companies to tell you all of this? Many hosts oversell. Not all hosts are the same. Not all hosts have to follow a certain diskspace-to-price ratio, its whatever they decide is best for them.
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Including an RSS feed that you can syndicate!
    Unlimited vs. Unmetered bandwidth

I do not expect companies to tell me, but the fourm-ers , why do one comes to a forum

"Not all hosts have to follow a certain diskspace-to-price ratio, its whatever they decide is best for them."

how do a client decides who is overselling then ?
    how aingaran has decided unitedhosting is not overselling ?

Each Cost has its own cost factors as well, some may use lower end servers, which have a highre ROI which they can in return offer more space for lower amount of money.

I would believe that most hosts would oversell especially at the current rate that we are getting web hosting accounts. If you do see someone offering what you can get for $5 at say $50 then probably there would be no overselling at that rate.

The thing is that most people sign up because the plans looks big and huge with tons of bandwidth and space and so on but they do not actually use their allocation to the full extent and that allows the web hosts to actually oversell.

How the web host does it would be important. I would think the 20/80 ratio applies, ie 20% of the customers would be heavy users and making up the bulk of the usage while the remaining 80% of the customers do not use a fraction of what they use.

A good web host is one which constantly monitors server load, bandwidth usage and harddisk usage and do what is necessary to move the sites around the servers to maximize usage and performance and at the same time maximizing profitability. A bad host would be one who packs and packs without having a backup plan.

As to what price works for which host, it would depend on what their cost are and what is included which each plan.

Overselling is not bad as long as you have control over it and that you can honor your obligations if your customers get what is promised.

I think when you see something too good to be true, it is overselling.

Usually it is internal host decision - much hosts chose to not oversell since it is easier to maintain good and problems free service.

Overselling works too but in our case we want to have power and resources not fully used wich may prevent small disasters when one or few clients will want to use these resources.

We simply dont want to worry about resources that may be needed in few minutes/hours and we wouldnt have them on the server and move clients to other servers to spread the load/resources usage urgently.

Also price is not only hd price percent - it is support, servers, etc.

As always said on this forum "you get what you pay" - there are good cars and better cars - all have their price.
    Pro-net-hosting.com - www.pro-net-hosting.com
    Pro hosting solutions since april 2003.

when mosts hosts who are reputed as good as per search button of this forum give, say, 500 megs at $7 average , then when one host gives only 200 megs at $8 it appears "pricy" to me - and some one points out "no, that is the actual price - they are not overselling"

"you get what you pay" does not hold good , say for example, if I just boil down to two hosts - sitefive and unitedhost - as per the search button of this forum, which people at this forum always ask to look into, sitefive and unitedhost are equally good in terms of uptime,support,servers,speed and all possible aspects, EXCEPT when it comes to space and bandwidth - so "with what I pay for" I get more space and bw with one than the other - is not it so ?? that is what i was wanting to know

my original questions still remain unanswered though.

Yes, that would appear to be so.

"Yes, that would appear to be so."

??? which will appear what ?

when mosts hosts who are reputed as good as per search button of this forum give, say, 500 megs at $7 average , then when one host gives only 200 megs at $8 it appears "pricy" to me - and some one points out "no, that is the actual price - they are not overselling"

"you get what you pay" does not hold good , say for example, if I just boil down to two hosts - sitefive and unitedhost - as per the search button of this forum, which people at this forum always ask to look into, sitefive and unitedhost are equally good in terms of uptime,support,servers,speed and all possible aspects, EXCEPT when it comes to space and bandwidth - so "with what I pay for" I get more space and bw with one than the other - is not it so ?? that is what i was wanting to know

my original questions still remain unanswered though.
    While I can't be sure, this is what I can guess:

Site5 oversells
    UnitedHost doesn't

That would be the difference. I am guessing that Site5 oversells, because of their plansizes-price ratio, but that doesn't mean that they are a bad host. Many are very happy with them.

You may get better speeds with UnitedHost, but then again they cost more, so it all evens out.
    Including an RSS feed that you can syndicate!
    Unlimited vs. Unmetered bandwidth

"Yes, that would appear to be so."

??? which will appear what ?
    Well, I thought I was answering your question

so "with what I pay for" I get more space and bw with one than the other - is not it so ?? that is what i was wanting to know

In short, if everything is considered equal in terms of quality and service then the host which offers you more space and bandwidth would be a better deal.

ummm ....

thanks, the next question is - is it possible to find a list who offer all these and have their own data center too ?

I don't see such a list available around so I guess someone would need to take the trouble to compile one. From my understand, most of those who offers virtual hostings do not have their own datacenter but they either rent dedicated servers, colocate their servers in a datacenter or rent several rack or cage space. Most of those who have datacenters would usually go for the dedicated server market as the cost of running a full fledged datacenter is neither cheap or easy to manage.

However, at the top of my head, here are some which have datacenters and offers virtual hosting.

1) www.ev1servers.net
    2) www.nocster.com
    3) www.1and1.com
    4) www.allmanaged.com

If you consider VPS as a virtual hosting then probably you can add

1) www.servint.com
    2) www.dedicatednow.com

There are probably others around but I don't have them off my head now.

As far as whether they do backup of clients data, I am not sure about that.

And far as speed is concern, it really depends on how close you are from the datacenter. The further you are, the more likely there would be latency and slower speed.
    Last edited by eddy2099; 04-17-2005 at 01:17 AM.

that was a really useful piece of info - and thanks a lot, Eddy

ev1 - i do not know whether they look well after small shared account purchasers , servint 's vps looked like a good deal

while most of them will provide at least 500 megs, unitedhosts 200 megs looks really small and if almost all are providing around 500 megs at somewhere around $7 then most are either overselling or that/those selling only 200 megs at same price are being "pricy"

the datacenter list was useful and i think i need to do a bit more research on this list

btw. 7$ per 500mb may not be overselling

we with 1gb for 10$ are not overselling

but as i said it depends not so much on price but on number of clients on one server.

if host alocates more resources than he has on the server it is overselling on this server - so eaven with 200mb for 50$ host can allocate more than he has and can be overselling.

you can only say someone is overseling if host said this or when you see extreme low price for too much resources.

as eddy said if service is the same then price is the only thing that you need to pick.
    Pro-net-hosting.com - www.pro-net-hosting.com
    Pro hosting solutions since april 2003.

affordablehost advertise chat but do not provide it *now* neither it says its currently unavailable in bracket in main page

Our chat is open from noon until 11 pm - Mondays through Fridays.

--Tina

www.interserver.net <--- Own datacenter

Have a server with them, very happy.
    It's Scott!

"so even with 200mb for 50$ host can allocate more than he has and can be overselling."

so theres no practical way to decide who or what is overselling unless one actually uses the service ??

@ Tina - thanks for starting the chat room

For security reasons, there is no way to pry into a host's server to see how packed it is actually or what the CPU usage is like.

Overselling is fine as long as the web host honors what it promises and do manage the business on a full time basis.

Reputable web hosts would either add more harddisks to the system when it is running out or move new sites to a new server to prevent it from getting too overcrowded.

There has to be some contingency plans on the side of the web host and yes, it is true that you only knows the reputation when you actually use the service or have some contact with the owners or gather feedback like those you find here in WHT.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast