Staminus.Net any problems?

is there any problems with staminus.net?
    i'm going with their $139 package for 62 IRC IPs.

they seem to reply fast but i do not know their network
    any comments?

I hear that Staminus has made some recent improvements to their network that many are happy with and that has brought some overall stability. I can't vouch for that personally because I don't know and am not a client but from what I heard, things have calmed down a good deal since last October.

Good luck- Matt's a great guy.
    Adam Lawson - AQORN
    OpenStack Professional Services. Commercial Support. Open-Source Cloud Management
    Official OpenStack Foundation Member & Corporate Sponsor
    Our Clients: AT&T | Cisco | Juniper | SAP | Autodesk | SUSE | Ubuntu

They are colo'ed with blacklotus.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

thelinuxguy,

Staminus is in its own datacenter. We simply resell their dedicated servers because I don't feel like putting out the capex anymore to buy them myself.

Our co-location continues to operate independently.

I'm pretty sure Staminus is colo now...
    Adam Lawson - AQORN
    OpenStack Professional Services. Commercial Support. Open-Source Cloud Management

thelinuxguy,
    We are not in Blacklotus' facility but thanks for that wonderfully incorrect insight
    Matt Mahvi
    Staminus, Infrastructure DDoS Protection and Appliances
    @ 200+ Gbps global ddos mitigation network. Local or Remote. Proxy, GRE, and direct cross connects.
    @ Available in Amsterdam, New York, Los Angeles and Orange County. Anycast BGP.

Well i had herd from several people different. Must have been from the bandwidth they are using:

http://www.fixedorbit.com/AS/25/AS25761.htm
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Matt,

Incidentally, which facility are you in?
    Adam Lawson - AQORN

thelinuxguy,
    "Heresay" does not constitute as credible information but thanks for the input. We used to use nscnap's bandwidth as one of our carriers, the same carrier blacklotus used. This has changed in the past few days. I would also appreciate it if in the future were you to have questions regarding our operation, simply ask me rather than depending on third party unofficial information. I'll be more than happy to answer them.

Adam,
    Peering is out of One Wilshire in Los Angeles and servers are housed in Irvine.

Any more information can be provided off-thread as the thread has digressed from its original intent.
    Matt Mahvi
    Staminus, Infrastructure DDoS Protection and Appliances
    @ 200+ Gbps global ddos mitigation network. Local or Remote. Proxy, GRE, and direct cross connects.
    @ Available in Amsterdam, New York, Los Angeles and Orange County. Anycast BGP.

I have dealt with Staminus.net before and was surprisingly satisfied.

Matt, the owner, will go out of his way to make sure his customers are happy. I have often requested weird things and stuff, but Matt has always attempted to try to do the stuff instead of clearly denying it and leaving you in the dark like other hosts.

Never really had a problem with Staminus. It's great for IRC hosting. However, there is a bit of warning that the pings are not really up to par with other data centers and also that the bandwidth, even upgraded, usually only goes at about 30% the speed of other networks most of the time.

However, the technical support beats all the factors as you always get fast satisfactory responses.

Matt,

The original request was for comments, big guy. So we are engaging a little here. No worries.
    Adam Lawson - AQORN

Re: Staminus.Net any problems?

Originally posted by xorion
    is there any problems with staminus.net?
    i'm going with their $139 package for 62 IRC IPs.

they seem to reply fast but i do not know their network
    any comments?
    I've been with staminus for about 6 - 8 months now, and it's been a dream. There were some router issues, but since then matt's done a -lot- to make things as bad *** as possible.

Since then he's installed multiple custom built firewalls that allow him to filter a insane amount of transit (Around 3 million packets per second), without having to nullroute anyone. I've taken some fair sized attacks while with matt (around 150Mbit or something) and i never even knew it was going on, till i brought it up weeks later.

Matt's always answered all the emails/aim's i've sent him as quickly as he could, and his channel on efnet provides a lot of support for me and a lot of other people looking to sign up.

~Francisco
    BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based VPS Servers - Chat with us
    - All popular VPN methods supported
    - Affordable offloaded MySQL & DDoS protection
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony

xorion first of all welcome to WebHostingTalk.

In regards to your question:

Have two servers on staminus myself. Have already managed to get 100+ days uptime out of each one, I had to do some much needed source code updates to freebsd which required a reboot of course. In any case network wise just today 3 more firewalls were deployed (total now 8, but who's counting right?). Thus, I feel this alone shows staminus's push towards network excellence quite well. I have heard reports from matt of more gige backbone transit being turned up in the upcoming weeks as well so reset assured I can imagine that pings/icmp will improve. In any case speedwise is quite good for using with IRC Hosting (servers are able to push/pull around anywhere from 300-700KBps from the internet speedtests I have done so far). If you get files off a good mirror it will do better, just yesterday doing an install for a client of mine webmin wgetted off of easynews at full 10MBit for the entire download of the file so that alone shows the network speed has improved greatly.

Hope my elaboration of my own experiences with staminus assists you with your decision xorion.

-Justin
    Justin Schurawlow :: Technology Enthusiast
    Schurawlow PC Repair
    Computer Services for the Lehigh Valley area
    Blog :: The Justin Schurawlow Blog

I pretty much agree with what all of what excelblue said.

Can you tell us exactly what you're looking for in IRC hosting? maybe I can tell you if staminus fits your needs..

you ask about their network, I can tell you that matt tries to improve his network daily. He uses abovenet as incoming transit right now and is always looking to add other carriers but due to the nature of IRC it needs to be a strong carrier that can handle the DDoS without crying.
    There are other providers used as outgoing connections mostly to improve latency -- they also act as failover incoming connections.
    If you need more detailed information you can always ask Matt himself. Staminus is one of the best companies in the market when it comes to this, Matt is always willing to answer and help with issues other companies prefer not to deal with.

If you want a place where your IRC business will be protected from midsized (hundred megabit) DDoS attacks and will also not be harmed from larger (multi gigabit) attacks, Staminus is a very good option.

Dont forget to use the search feature... lots of reviews about this company -- good and bad.

I have a server with staminus and so far ive had no problems im quite impressed with the speed of the support they give when needed aswell.