seeking guiding steps for building a database driven website. can you help plz?

hi folks,

i wish to prepare a database driven website on public education for general public usage. i know bits and pieces of several tools but dont know all of the procedure. can anybody help me in just outlining what are the main specific things in the following to consider. i will really be grateful.

i only have a domain name reserved on yahoo; was thinking of starting the site on yahoo standard plan but that's toooo expensive $20 pm for a volunteer work of a semi-employed!

additionally, i will appreciate if you tell me please ....
    1. what other options do i have for web-hosting?
    2. how can i transfer my domain name to the new web-host?
    3. can i get php, mysql, perl access on some cheaper webhost somewhere ?
    4. will it allow me to save even other types of files (like txt, pdf, css, html, jpg, gif, etc) on the new webhost?
    5. will it allow me to work on linux? i have fedora and xp-home.
    6. where can i get some to-the-point useful articles about the stuff i need to know to host such a site.

thank you sooo much.

amn

Most hosts will be fine for what your needs are. If you have control all you would need to do is change your name servers to reflect your new host.

You can upload all of the files you indicated and have them accessible from your site.

http://www.thewhir.com is a good resource.

Hello,

You should be able to save any filetype on whichever host you choose. As for #5, do you mean you want shell access to your account? Some hosts provide shell access, sometimes for an extra fee.

thank you very much for your help blue27 & zapX.

yes zapX i meant the shell access for linux.

i am an absolute newbie and i learn more quickly by examples; please pardon me. let me tell you my exact concerns.

i have a domain on yahoo let's say: mydomain1dotcom. if i move the name servers to a new host, will it change the address of my site too?

secondly, if i later buy another domain mydomain2dotcom then will it be possible to keep the files on the same webhosting server and redirect/use the separate sets of files for each of them to their respective domains?

will sincerely appreciate any help.

khayal

khayal,

No matter where you point your DNS, your address will stay the same. The DNS just tell where the files for that domain are located.

If you buy a second domain, you can make it what is called an addon domain, where it has it's own directory under your main domain, with its own files and all, but you can access those files via domain2.com. You would point the DNS to the same place.

I hope that was helpful.

You should find the hosting type you are seeking in the WHT offer forum section. Good luck .

Whatever be your purpose, every important site neds a reliable host...

There are several good hosts offering web hosting for $6-$8 per month...

Also try using HostQuote

And before you pick any host, pls search the forums for rviews on that host..
    Wholesale Domain Prices for Retail Customers - Rushtoweb.com

Originally posted by khayal
    thank you very much for your help blue27 & zapX.

yes zapX i meant the shell access for linux.

i am an absolute newbie and i learn more quickly by examples; please pardon me. let me tell you my exact concerns.

i have a domain on yahoo let's say: mydomain1dotcom. if i move the name servers to a new host, will it change the address of my site too?

secondly, if i later buy another domain mydomain2dotcom then will it be possible to keep the files on the same webhosting server and redirect/use the separate sets of files for each of them to their respective domains?

will sincerely appreciate any help.

khayal
    As a newbie I don't think it would be a good idea to mess around with shell access. It would be a very rare case where you would actually need it.

As for the rest ZapX answered it well.