Optimizing MySQL for heavy insert/update statements?

Hello Everyone!

I currently run a pretty heavy mysql server that runs with the following specs

su-3.00# mysqladmin status
    Uptime: 8587 Threads: 19 Questions: 3710907 Slow queries: 120 Opens: 2772 Flush tables: 1 Open tables: 2087 Queries per second avg: 432.154

su-3.00# uptime
    3:31PM up 13 days, 2:20, 1 user, load averages: 7.97, 9.74, 9.47

with the following conf file - http://deltaanime.net/my.cnf

We've compiled mysql with all the nice modes we could find, but it still doesn't help enough We've also put indexes in every table that could use them, but still it's not helping us out

Anyone recommend any conf file changes that might help with the load? =\

Thanks!

~Francisco
    BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based VPS Servers - Chat with us
    - All popular VPN methods supported
    - Affordable offloaded MySQL & DDoS protection
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony

Sorry bud, not my forte. I looked at the mysql config file and didnt see anything obvious.

Can I ask, the specs of the machine itself?

Is it dedicated to mysql or is a shared use box?

Multiple mysql databases or just one or two and if so whats the product?

Also finally, shouldnt this be in the technical help forum? Maybe there you would get some more help.
    CloudNexus Technology Services
    Managed Services

Without knowing the specs of the hardware or the database, I'd say that's a pretty decent query rate. Although InnoDB or BDB will give you better locking performance, lock contention doesn't drive up the load average like that. Do a 'vmstat 5 5' and we can see if the bottle neck is CPU or RAM.
    Game Servers are the next hot market!
    Slim margins, heavy support, fickle customers, and moronic suppliers!
    Start your own today!

Based on the loads, it looks like more of a hardware issue. You probably either need more RAM, or your hard drives aren't keeping up. For heavy write situations, a good SCSI drive (or multiple in a RAID10 configuration) should do well.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

Oh, i completely forgot specs, heh.

It's a dual xeon 3Ghz w/ 2GB of ram and 2 120GB sata's

~Francisco
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony

My guess would be it's your hard drives. If you want to stay sata, try Western Digital Raptor drives they have less then half the access times of most sata drives at 4.5ms 10k/rpm(36GB or 74GB). If you want faster and larger yet try Maxtor Atlas II SCSI Drives 3.0ms 15k/rpm(147GB) The Atlas II is a little spendy though at about $1300-1500USD. Your best bet is using some wd raptor drives in a raid set.
    AfterNorth Innovative solutions for tomorrow, today.
    0spam.org AntiSpam for Service Providers
    DotNetInvoice Online Billing Solutions
    Professional Services Since 1996

Is the mysql on its own drive?
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Originally posted by Kiamori
    If you want faster and larger yet try Maxtor Atlas II SCSI Drives 3.0ms 15k/rpm(147GB) The Atlas II is a little spendy though at about $1300-1500USD. Your best bet is using some wd raptor drives in a raid set.
    Or a 15K Seagate Cheetah at 36GB, for about $160... Put several in RAID 10 for extra fun.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation

My guess would be it's your hard drives. If you want to stay sata, try Western Digital Raptor drives they have less then half the access times of most sata drives at 4.5ms 10k/rpm(36GB or 74GB). If you want faster and larger yet try Maxtor Atlas II SCSI Drives 3.0ms 15k/rpm(147GB) The Atlas II is a little spendy though at about $1300-1500USD. Your best bet is using some wd raptor drives in a raid set.
    SCSI's and such would rock, but as far as i can tell, sago doesn't do them very often =\

Was kinda hoping for a solution to the conf file, if there was even anything wrong with it.

~Francisco

Originally posted by DeltaAnime
    SCSI's and such would rock, but as far as i can tell, sago doesn't do them very often =\

Was kinda hoping for a solution to the conf file, if there was even anything wrong with it.

~Francisco
    Your configuration is probably not the problem. Perhaps co-location is your next move up if Sago can't give you SCSI drives?
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation

Is this a dedicated mysql server? Is apache also serving pages? What os? What kernel?
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Originally posted by bqinternet
    Or a 15K Seagate Cheetah at 36GB, for about $160... Put several in RAID 10 for extra fun.
    I'd rather use a quantum bigfoot or a floppy disc, I've had horrible luck with that brand of drives. Replacing a drive 3 times in one year costs more then a nice solid drive.

Originally posted by thelinuxguy
    Is this a dedicated mysql server? Is apache also serving pages? What os? What kernel?
    It's a webserver, so it's doing the whole mix. The MySQL is running a anime torrent site, so it takes a thrashing.

Runs FreeBSD 5, custom compiled kernel

~Francisco

It's a webserver, so it's doing the whole mix. The MySQL is running a anime torrent site, so it takes a thrashing.

Runs FreeBSD 5, custom compiled kernel

~Francisco
    seperate your sql from the rest that will help the most. I had the impression this was ded sql server.

seperate your sql from the rest that will help the most. I had the impression this was ded sql server.
    Hrm, i guess i gotta talk to sago and see if i can work out a nice price on one.

If i had something like a 2.8GHz p4 with a gig or two of ram, would this suffice with my mysql loads?

I read this article a few weeks back and i found it very interesting:

http://www.samag.com/documents/s=114...108q/0108q.htm

They recommend enabling asynchronous file system, its not as reliable as the stock synchronous mode. But it may help in your situation. Theres some tweaks at the end of the article, i have not had a chance to test out.

"The total run time for the hard drive test for each OS was: Linux: 542 seconds, Windows 2000: 613 seconds, FreeBSD tuned: 630 seconds, FreeBSD untuned: 2398 seconds, and Solaris: 3990 seconds."

Hrm, i guess i gotta talk to sago and see if i can work out a nice price on one.

If i had something like a 2.8GHz p4 with a gig or two of ram, would this suffice with my mysql loads?
    with some fast drives and 1-2gb ram yes it should be good, or you could go amd =)

with some fast drives and 1-2gb ram yes it should be good, or you could go amd =)
    Sago's a intel farm

I'll have ot see if maybe they can RAID some drives or something then.

Thanks,

~Francisco