* Stats: Who has the list(s) of Hosts who are using theplanet.com?

I'm finally getting somewhere on my search for security (DDOS et al.) in hosts and have read a number of very impressive articles about theplanet.com, which I gather is some kind of huge datacenter in Texas that a number of hosts purchase their space from (is this what is meant by "Reseller?" please advise terminology).

So . . . I've gotten as far as ascertaining that I want the host I sign up with to be "protected" by theplanet.com's robust 24/7 security monitoring and ongoing commitment to innovate against DDOS attacks and their ilk.

I called Hostgator, one of the hosts "porting" through theplanet.com, and got what had to be one of the creepiest guys I have ever spoken to on the phone. I . . . I don't have another word to describe the 10-second time periods it took for him to cough up a response. More than once I had to ask if he was still on the phone. For a newbie like me this kind of hostility to human interaction is intimidating. I can't help it if some of my questions are stupid. We all have to start somewhere for heavens sake.

So how might I research those hosts who, like Hostgator, are "porting" through theplanet.com; and please, I know "porting" is the wrong term, could you educate me as to what I am referring to? What is the proper term. This will help me if I have to do a Google search.

MC

P.S.
    In fact . . . Let me ask: Is there a glossary somewhere that explains, for example, "Co-location," "Virtual Private Server," "SSH," "SSI," "SSL," and some of these other terms?

P.S.
    In fact . . . Let me ask: Is there a glossary somewhere that explains, for example, "Co-location," "Virtual Private Server," "SSH," "SSI," "SSL," and some of these other terms?
    http://www.webopedia.com

I'm not quite sure of any site which may list all the companys out there who are using theplanet.com as their Provider.

However, if you are curious you may always run a trace route on a host. For example the following is a traceroute on varhosting.net

Code:
    hop rtt rtt rtt   ip address fully qualified domain name 
    1 0 0 0   216.46.228.229 port-216-3073253-es128.devices.datareturn.com 
    2 0 0 0   64.29.192.145 port-64-1949841-zzt0prespect.devices.datareturn.com 
    3 0 0 1   64.29.192.226 daa.g921.ispb.datareturn.com 
    4 0 0 0   168.215.241.133 hagg-01-ae0-1001.dlfw.twtelecom.net 
    5 0 0 0   66.192.253.124 core-02-ge-3-1-0-504.dlfw.twtelecom.net 
    6 0 0 0   66.192.246.53 peer-02-so-0-0-0-0.dlfw.twtelecom.net 
    7 0 0 0   206.223.118.72 sp0-2-dllstxri.broadwing.com 
    8 0 1 0   216.140.4.209  
    9 1 10 1   67.99.43.234  
    10 1 0 1   70.85.127.30 dist-vlan31.dsr3-2.dllstx3.theplanet.com 
    11 1 1 1   70.85.127.91 dist-vlan-42.dsr2-2.dllstx4.theplanet.com 
    12 1 1 1   67.19.255.142 gig1-0-2.sm-car6-4.dllstx4.theplanet.com 
    13 1 1 1   67.19.22.237 secure.varhosting.net
    You'll see that the following displays that varhosting.net goes through theplanet.com. And the same applies to hostgator.com

Code:
    hop rtt rtt rtt   ip address fully qualified domain name 
    1 0 0 0   216.46.228.229 port-216-3073253-es128.devices.datareturn.com 
    2 0 0 0   64.29.192.145 port-64-1949841-zzt0prespect.devices.datareturn.com 
    3 0 0 0   64.29.192.226 daa.g921.ispb.datareturn.com 
    4 0 0 0   168.215.241.133 hagg-01-ae0-1001.dlfw.twtelecom.net 
    5 0 0 0   168.215.241.150  
    6 0 0 0   70.85.127.30 dist-vlan31.dsr3-2.dllstx3.theplanet.com 
    7 1 1 1   70.85.127.76 dist-vlan22.dsr1-2.dllstx2.theplanet.com 
    8 1 1 1   12.96.160.58 sm-asr1-2-v2.dllstx2.theplanet.com 
    9 2 1 1   69.41.250.78 gig0-2.sm-car5-4.theplanet.com 
    10 1 1 1   67.18.54.2 gator.hostgator.com
    I'm assuming your using a Windows Variant as your operating system of choice. If so you may click on Start --> Run --> Type command in the field and click Ok.

In the command prompt type the following:

Code:
    tracert hostname.com
    Or you may use an online tool such as: http://www.centralops.net Click on Domain Dossier and make sure traceroute is selected and simply supply the host you want to run the scan on.

By the way, what was so creepy about the guy on the phone? was he hitting on you? or did he just have a major delay in his responses?

Re: Stats: Who has the list(s) of Hosts who are using theplanet.com?

Originally posted by MISS CHIEVOUS
    [B]I'm finally getting somewhere on my search for security (DDOS et al.) in hosts and have read a number of very impressive articles about theplanet.com, which I gather is some kind of huge datacenter in Texas that a number of hosts purchase their space from (is this what is meant by "Reseller?" please advise terminology).
    Its great to see more people are actually concerned about the security of the server and not just the price. A reseller is basically someone who resells someone elses services. So in reality the internet is just a big circle of resellers. For instance, ThePlanet is reselling the bandwidth of Level3 for smaller users (those whom require dedicated servers/co-location). The people who have dedicated servers/co-location is reselling the space/bandwidth to their clients whom use their server. Then some people are reselling those services to others (For example an affilate or a reseller that resells our packages as their own branded packages).

Some companies (Like Hostgator) purely use one datacenter for all their servers. Others (like us) use numerous different data centers (including ThePlanet) located throughout the world .

Hope this helps

Nice explanation jmweb, I totally forgot to answer that part of her question.

Originally posted by UniServe Hosting
    Nice explanation jmweb, I totally forgot to answer that part of her question.
    meh, yours was better. I just wanted to finish what you did a great job on starting.

Thumbs up

Whooee!

Guys, I just had a live chat session with the friendliest, most polite, helpful support tech at THEPLANET.COM who was online with me in 30 seconds and he explained to me that, yes, I am looking for a "Certified Reseller" of THEPLANET's services.

What a welcoming, friendly company! And he agreed that, yes, THEPLANET is an industry leader in online security. tsk, I just wish I could afford to go with them directly. Alas, here is puny little me lol. After I explained the nature of the highly proprietary personal data that will be handled on my insurance website he also recommended that, when I post my query to their forums, I specifically indicate a hardware firewall. Guys, these people are DEADLY serious about DDOS and related issues. In case anyone is having trouble constraining their search to hosts whose reputations have been made on fighting DDOS attacks, I think this is a great place to start.

To get to THEPLANET.COM's forums, use this link:
    http://forums.servermatrix.com

They have close to 5,000 members so this is an active community indeed!!

MC

Talking

UniServe Hosting . . .

LOL The Hostgator guy was creeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepy. Now, I'm a friendly person, so when I strike up a conversation no one can blame me for being antisocial.

This creep was beyond unhelpful oh and if you doubt it, when I signed off and said "Well thank you and I'll look into your plans online" he clicked off! phhlllllltttttttt!!! He didn't even say goodbye!

No, I'd ask a question and then.
    Wait.
    Wait.
    Wait.
    "Hello? Are you there?"

It was almost like he was being charged per-syllable for each word he grudgingly managed to spit out. This was obviously not someone with highly developed social skills heh heh.

MC

Talking

jmweb, thank you also for that explanation.

Geez it kills me because I just know that one of the sites I visited over the past 2 days listed this data, and like an idjut I didn't print it out.

It was a list that shows the resellers. It's all a blur LOL.

MC

I think your search may be a little mis-directed.
    What did the rep with The Planet say they did that made them more "secure" than other data centers?

Although the data center is an important consideration I think you should concentrate your energy on the specific hosts that you research. An insecure host will be just as insecure at The Planet as they will be anywhere else.

Unhappy

Originally posted by blue27
    I think your search may be a little mis-directed.
    What did the rep with The Planet say they did that made them more "secure" than other data centers?

Although the data center is an important consideration I think you should concentrate your energy on the specific hosts that you research. An insecure host will be just as insecure at The Planet as they will be anywhere else.

blue27 . . .

I base my understanding of how this works upon the (one and only) piece of useful information that the Gatorade guy gave me: "When we get a DDOS attack we just bounce it right over to THEPLANET and it is shut down within minutes."

That sounds pretty damn good to me. And apparently a number of independent reviews support their reputation in this area.

MC

Ok. You lost me there. Gatorade? Bounce over to the Planet?

I'm not following what you are saying.

Re: Stats: Who has the list(s) of Hosts who are using theplanet.com?

Originally posted by MISS CHIEVOUS
    I'm finally getting somewhere on my search for security (DDOS et al.) in hosts and have read a number of very impressive articles about theplanet.com, which I gather is some kind of huge datacenter in Texas that a number of hosts purchase their space from (is this what is meant by "Reseller?" please advise terminology).

So . . . I've gotten as far as ascertaining that I want the host I sign up with to be "protected" by theplanet.com's robust 24/7 security monitoring and ongoing commitment to innovate against DDOS attacks and their ilk.

I called Hostgator, one of the hosts "porting" through theplanet.com, and got what had to be one of the creepiest guys I have ever spoken to on the phone. I . . . I don't have another word to describe the 10-second time periods it took for him to cough up a response. More than once I had to ask if he was still on the phone. For a newbie like me this kind of hostility to human interaction is intimidating. I can't help it if some of my questions are stupid. We all have to start somewhere for heavens sake.

So how might I research those hosts who, like Hostgator, are "porting" through theplanet.com; and please, I know "porting" is the wrong term, could you educate me as to what I am referring to? What is the proper term. This will help me if I have to do a Google search.

MC

P.S.
    You may actually not want a certified The Planet reseller, unless you want a dedicated server.

If a web host is using The Planet, it means that they're renting a dedicated server (or colocating) from them, and then splitting the space + resources and selling them to their clients. That would be a "shared server." A shared server is when there are different people all on the server.

What The Planet sells, are dedicated servers. A dedicated server is when someone rents the whole server, and has full access to it. Companies that have very high-traffic sites most of the time just put their site on a dedicated server, and nothing else.

A reseller is someone who is a customer of someone who rents a dedicated server. who is given access to split up and sell their space to their clients. For example, if you bought a reseller plan from Host Gator, you would be a reseller. I wouldn't consider Host Gator a reseller of The Planet, but simply just a client of them.

A certified The Planet reseller simply resells The Planet's servers.

What I wrote here doesn't apply to all cases of web hosts. Many web hosts colocate, or simply own their own datacenter. In my explanation, I'm assuming all hosts simply rent dedicated servers. I understand that this is untrue, but for the sake of simplifiying my explanation, that's how I wrote this.
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Including an RSS feed that you can syndicate!
    Unlimited vs. Unmetered bandwidth

Here are definitions of a few other web hosting related terms:

VPS - Similar to a dedicated server. On a VPS, there a small number of users who fill up the server. Each has their own partition on the hard drive of the server, and root access. It's like putting 20 copies of Windows onto a hard drive, each with their own partition. Each environment is isolated, and no files are shared. The only thing that users on a VPS share are hardware resources.

Colocation - Colcation is when you rent space in a datacenter to put your servers. Some datacenters will allow you to simply colocate one server, but others, such as The Planet, have a minimum. For The Planet, their minimum is 12U. 1U is a standard server. Some servers are more than 1U, but a standard server case is usually 1U. So that would be 12 servers as the minimum.

SSH (secure shell) - This is how you would normally remotely control your servers. You use a SSH program, such as Putty, which allows you to connect to the server.

SSL (secure sockets layer) - The standard used for ecommerce transactions that keeps the data secure while its being transferred. To have a SSL connection, you must purchase a SSL certificate and install it onto the server. You don't need a dedicated server for this, I think all control panels allow you to install one.

SSI (server side includes) - from http://www.strategicwebventures.com/.../Glossary/SSI/
    Commands and/or code that can be integrated into HTML pages which are processed by the server when users request a file/page. It is commonly used to display content in the header or footer areas of web pages which allow you to make one page or content and share it among many and/or all pages of the website.

If you need definitions for anything else, feel free to ask.
    Including an RSS feed that you can syndicate!
    Unlimited vs. Unmetered bandwidth