Review of the companies/sites Ive used so far.

Hi, Not long ago I thought i'd give it a go in this crazy game of hosting & this is a fairly basic *review* of the hosts and services Ive used so far
    - Theyre all hosts execpt the last one... These are my personal opinions influenced by personal experience.

1. http://vip-hosting.com

Great extras in their packages (free templates etc) but their support staff never seemed to be online. Took over a week for a support ticket to be answered so I left... basically.

2. http://hostgator.com

I wanted to be able to offer Windows & Unix hosting - I'll be honest and I didnt look into who was best etc, I had a small budget in my head and wanted to stick to it. After searching Google for reseller I found HostGator - this was by far the worst experience ive ever had with a hosting company.
    - The support was terrible! I have actually logged a few of the conversations (if you can call them that) I had with the so called 'support' staff and even when I re-read them im somewhat stunned into wondering how these guys manage to keep customers. I know alot of you have had good experiences with these guys but I personally would nneevveerr contemplate using these guys again.

When asking for help I would be in the middle of a conversation and then out of no-where it was like I was talking to a new person who had no idea what I was on about and cared even less! This would happen alot aswell, no resolution was ever brough about during a live chat it was always a case of 'submit a support ticket'. Terrible terrible service.

3. http://unitedhosting.co.uk

By far the very very very best support I have ever recieved from a hosting company. Very competent, very quick support. A very active and willing community in the form of the forum aswell. Was a little more than I wanted to pay because Im based in the UK so I was paying in GBP's (understandable) but pushed me to the top of what I wanted to pay and couldnt offer Windows hosting. I would (and have) recommend these guys to anyone.

4. http://www.hostdone.com/

Good prices, Very helpful... these guys will go out of their way to help you if you need it. Made a mistake on my account and they cleared it up and then even gave me an extra feature for free. Nice guys but perhaps lacked the professionalism of United Hosting.

5. http://layeredtech.com

Got a server with these guys at the moment. Paid a hefty setup fee but because of that Im paying a very good monthly rate - I looked long and hard and couldnt find a better offer. Was very impressed with setup times (24 hours not including weekend), good support on my first few quiries. Then though I came across a problem with my control panel (Plesk) and it seemed this was only installed with a demo licence... it took a week to get this sorted by Layered Tech and that even involved someone I paid to set everything up calling them on the phone to push for things to happen. Other than this though I have to admit Ive been happy.

6. http://www.fastnetsupport.com/

Used these guys to set something up for me... seemed to be doing a good job, then saw a problem that they had caused and when I brought it up with them they wanted paying to sort it... but they caused it. This really p***ed me off so I told them to keep the cash I paid and I ended up getting someone else to undo everything http://www.fastnetsupport.com/ had done and re-do it.
    Turn My Text - íspuǝıɹɟ ʞooqǝɔɐɟ ɹnoʎ ǝzɐɯɐ puɐ ǝsnɟuoɔ

Computer Game Cheats & Codes

boomers, thank you for taking time to share your hosting (and hosting related) experiences.

Thanks for the reviews. You definitely keep busy with a lot of different hosting providers.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

hehe yeah thats true, I think Layered Tech is going to be where I stop for a good amount of time though - even if only to get the most out of the setup fee

- Thing with hosts is alot offer 1 - 3 months free hosting etc because they think it'll be too much hassle to leave and move everything to another server. But if theyre not providing the service that they should be then I up and leave.

... This is our hard earned money we pay with... I work long long hours to fund the server, the people who work for me etc etc.
    We're entitled to expect and demand a quality service

Boomers I think you will be very happy with Layered Tech, I have been with them for almost a year an excellent service and if you phone them for support even better!

nice reviews, i think i will start a thread of this of my own as i also have had allot of bad (and good!) expirences with webhosts! nice informational topic

Boomer please provide a single ticket number where you had a problem..........

Our welcome e-mail states only to use chat for quick questions, and any problems need a ticket. It is not fair to judge us on something we tell you not to do.

I'd like to see the logged conversations you have saved with the hostgator staff. I fired up a live response just to ask a quick sales question. The staff member took awhile to even reply and than when I finally asked my question she asked me to wait as she obviously had to find the information out from someone else. To be honest, working in the industry myself I wouldn't expect a reply within the first minute. Nevertheless, the sales staff should know basic information on overage cost on traffic. Sometimes things happen on the backend and there may be phone calls, e-mails, tickets and a few live respones. Anyhow, I will stop here. But I am curious to see your convos boomers.

Regards,

Matthew

Sir - Everytime I spoke to the person I asked if it was ok to deal with him/her/them and eachtime they said yes.

Also... when my resller account was setup it was actually setup within someone elses account. So that they had total access and control to my account & files.

I received an email this person out of blue which had me totally confused.

I submitted 2 support tickets while I was there, 1 about this issue with someone having access to my details as I was on his space and the other requesting Autopilot be installed and giving card details.

The one about the issue of being on someones space was never resolved, possibly as I cancelled my account soon after - because after the extreme level of incompetence shown by the live support staff.

And the one requesting autopilot be installed replied to but you somehow (and believe me when I say I have NO idea how) thought I wanted it installed on a totally different account and domain that I had no knowledge of nor assocation with.

- I dont have the ticket numbers as I deleted all references I had with HostGator and moved to another host. As I said I do however have the logs of one of the conversations I had with a member of the support team - its time stamped on the messages so you can also see how long it actually took for the individual to reply to each message. This log is available to anyone who wants it.

Personally I think the errors made by yourselves are totally unprofessional and fact that it gave another client of yours access to my account and files is, im sure most will agree is an amazing security flaw.

All my comments made about HostGator are as a result of the service I received. Its not like I just decided to moan about your company for the fun of it. It was a truly awful experience.

I would be very interested to see these chat logs, and HostGator was once a very reputable company it seems... they are loosing that very quickly.

boomers, since you brought it up why not post some proof of this bad service.

Intech, how do you figure that HostGator is loosing their reputation? I have yet to see any substantiated complaints. Let's not jump to conclusions shall we.

This log is available to anyone who wants it.
    I'd love to see these logs as I also had a major delay in my responses, not to mention she was lost on a simple question on overage fees for extra bandwidth generated.

UniServe, you are comparing apples and oranges.
    Your only experience with this company is a pre-sales chat.

There is a good possibility you were not the only person who the sales rep was interacting with and that would explain delays in answering.
    Pre-sales conversations are not always an indication of how good or bad the actual hosting service is.

If the person from HostGator has no problem with me posting a copy of the log then I have no problem do it.

Im not out to make personal beef's with companies, Im not out to start a witch hunt for HostGator... the problems I received with HostGator are factual and Im sure if theyre looked into further the people at HostGator will be as digusted as I was with the service I recieved.

As I say I have no problem posting them as I was on the receiving end so has no bad reflection on me. But in the interest of ensuring this doesnt digress into name calling/witch hunt type thread then it should probably only be done if HostGator do not mind. Ive even stated that im aware alot of people like them but from my personal experiences theyre the worst hosting company Ive ever used.

Ive heard that they use a 3rd party support company, if this is true then they should be happy Im so vocal in my experience - will help their performance review/audit if they do this.

Hello Blue27

To be honest, working in the industry myself I wouldn't expect a reply within the first minute. Nevertheless, the sales staff should know basic information on overage cost on traffic.
    I never said it's a good or a bad hosting company or did I?

There is a good possibility you were not the only person who the sales rep was interacting with and that would explain delays in answering.
    I've also brought up this factor and many others. I am already aware of this and was aware of it at the time.