Thread: VPS Bottleneck?

VPS Bottleneck?

I recently moved "up" from a shared Dual Xeon (loaded) hosting ~300 accounts to a VPS on a similarly configured Dual Xeon ( Dual Xeon 3.0ghz, 4096 MB Ram {512MB guaranteed}, Hardware RAID 10 configuration, etc). It's a mySQL intensive site and at any given point in time mySQL CPU usage is ranging from 25% to 99% peak. I'm getting access errors, dynamic pages failing to load...

Is this a VPS bottleneck? Are there conditions where a shared hosting account would out-perform a VPS on a similarly configured machine? Would I be better off moving to a fully dedicated P4 or Opteron?

Lots of Q's...so little time!

Have you optimized your VPS for MySQL? The standard install is not very optimized at all.
    Gary Jones

BlueFur.com - Canada Web Hosting

RE: VPS Bottleneck

Thank you for the reply but honestly I don't know. It's a fully managed VPS solution and the answer I'm getting regarding the mySQL errors is that it is an issue with the script itself (Of course my response is then why did the script run fine on SHARED hosting?). I know my way around WHM and CPanel but the finer art of server management is beyond me...

It sound like your VPS might be running out of its RAM allocation. I would ask the tech support to check as you might just need an upgrade

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

Rus,

I've already upgraded plans (twice) and I'm at the most expensive VPS plan offered by this provider ($129.00/month). I'm seeing P4's w/1GB ram for around that here at WHT...would I get better performance on a dedicated with lower end hardware?

And thanks for the reply!
    Last edited by totenmaske; 04-16-2005 at 02:48 AM.

It is sound like that you might to be honest if you've already upgraded. Have a dig over the ofers and requests or email people for quotes. Sure you can find someonting your price range

Rus

Rus,

Thanks once again...I've been combing the Dedicated Offers folder looking at options.

No problem

rus

$129/mo is quite expensive for a VPS, lift your budget just a little and you can get a pretty decent managed server.
    Thanks Dan, I'm going over my bandwidth reports etc right now trying to get a better grasp on my needs. I'm really leaning towards a single processor machine with at least 2GB ram, 73GB SCSI drives, "fully" managed, fast setup...

The hardest part...figuring out who is reliable. I've been burned many times by various hosts so trust has become an issue.

VPS Bottleneck

I'd like to thank everyone that responded. I've ordered a 3.06GHZ P4 to replace the VPS