Question Do you need 1gb RAM with Linux server?

for windows, 1gb is a must to me but since i'm a linux noob. is 1gb needed for a linux share host server?

how many of you did all in one linux server (ftp, apache, bind, mysql) with only 512mb of ram?

It really depends on your usage and needs. But you can host several low usage websites with 512MB decently.

Personally, I would always prefer 1GB so that there are always room to expand and to maintain performance.

Regards,
    Charles

1GB minimal.

2GB recommended.

4GB is the standard for medium - busy servers.
    I have servers at: NetDepot/GNAX (A), SoftLayer (A), LiquidWeb (B+), DedicatedNow (B+), Nectartech (B) and more!

Originally posted by universal2001

4GB is the standard for medium - busy servers.
    Since when?

I guess it all depends on how you quantify 'medium - busy'.

I had a 512 ram on a server which host 150 website ... everything seem fine for me on a AMD XP 2400 box

Originally posted by ipxchangenet
    I had a 512 ram on a server which host 150 website ... everything seem fine for me on a AMD XP 2400 box
    I would highly recommend upgrading your CPU and RAM on that, 150 websites is really pushing it for servers with those specs.
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Including an RSS feed that you can syndicate!
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Unlimited vs. Unmetered bandwidth

Originally posted by BillNathan
    I would highly recommend upgrading your CPU and RAM on that, 150 websites is really pushing it for servers with those specs.
    if it's low traffic and low I/O, DB website then it should be ok.

Also put it down to your greedy control panels. I notice i use just over 500mb on a cpanel box. Then sometimes we have people that overload services and it booms up to 700-800mb. Your box would die with 512mb. Heh.
    It's Scott!

Originally posted by BillNathan
    Not it's not. You can host quite a lot of sites with 512mb ram. Also, the XP2400 is fairly powerful cpu.

a few years ago i hosted about 200 sites on a duron 1.1 with 512mb ram just fine, there was a couple busy ones
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

It all depends on usage.

A while ago I was hosting 10 static websites off a i386 (8mhz) linux box with 8megs of ram...

It's funny, I've hosted over 1,600 accounts with a celeron 2.4ghz nd 512mb of DDR ram. No problems at all, was also on a 10mbit shared connection. Oh, did I also mentioned it was hosted from the worst hosting providers ever (Managed.com)?

90% of the websites did have quite some traffic and 3rd party php scripts (such as php-nuke, etc.)
    FIANetworks.com Great free professional webhosting!

Is 1GB ram really needed for sure? not really, would it be beneficial to have the extra headroom sure. It is all a matter of preference, to get it now or to get it later is pretty much the question. As many smaller sites on servers won't really need the extra ram. However as stated with more memory you use less swap space on the server thus you may see a performance gain with 1GB of course when you get under heavier traffic periods.

-Justin
    Justin Schurawlow :: Technology Enthusiast
    Schurawlow PC Repair
    Computer Services for the Lehigh Valley area
    Blog :: The Justin Schurawlow Blog

On most of my servers, what I like to do is start off with 512MB of RAM. I'll then look at 'top' or any other tool for measuring the RAM usage and see how much i'm actually using. Some places charge for more RAM so it may be worth your while to start with 512MB and move up to 1GB as needed.

Let me know if this helps.

We run a 4Gb database on a server with 1Gb RAM. Tweaking MySQL a little, and allowing it 384Mb of RAM sped things up quite a bit, and now most pages load in under a second, with the complex ones taking say 2 - 3 seconds.

The only time it grinds to a halt is when the update scripts run - which takes a while