Stupid damn computer!!!!!!!! HELP!!!!

Hi folks,

Alright, I have a serious issue with my computer. It happened when I had windows server 2003 on my computer, and now when I have XP Pro SP2.

The issue is that, I will be going to any page, and it will either take a long time to load, or time out and say page cannot be displayed and i'll refresh and go to other sites and it will still say it, usually I have to open a new browser window.

I currently have McAfee Security Center with anti-virus and firewall, but I have NO idea whats causing this. I have done a virus search found one trojan which i removed, firewall is at the setting just under lockdown.

It's really stupid, I dont know why it's happening, has anyone else experienced this? If so, how did you fix it? It gets very annoying because usually it will happen when I make posts or update things on websites, and I hit submit, and the next page says "Page cannot be displayed" and when i click back, all my changes / text dissapear!

I think the issue may be hiding out on my D drive as it's the only one I don't format during a computer format / re-install. I don't format it because thats where i stick all my files i need to keep.

Thanks!

Plus, it happened again when i hit submit new thread, and i had to totally re-type my message because i forgot to copy it >_<! Urgent help please!!!!

Also, in addition, my internet connection is extreemly fast, this is effectively a brand new installaiton of XP, and I dont have any search things installed, commonly when a website isn't found I'll get the MSN search thing, which is standard.

Are you using road runner? I had the same issues. I called and called tech support and they are brainwashed to always believe that the problem resides on the customers side and never thiers so I gave up and fixed it myself.
    I went into my network settings under the TCP/IP Properties and set to use my nameserver ip's on my server at servermatrix.
    I have yet to see a page timeout since, Unless a site is really down. Not to mention how much faster the pages pull up as well.
    Dave

Road Runner? no. I've got no idea whats causing this :-/

It sounds very much like spyware. In my experience you need two or three different programs to check for spyware. What one program misses the other finds.

There is two other important things you need to do.

1. Temporary disable "system restore"
    2. Restart your computer in "safe mode"
    3. Thoroughly scan for virus's and spyware.
    4. Reboot Windows
    5. Enable "system restore"
    6. Create a restore point.

Now check and see if that has fixed it. You could also remove second harddisk and see if that makes any difference.

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    Need help? just ask The Doctor
    House calls a specialty
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy ?

Thanks doc, I'll give it a shot!

Suggested softyware

Nortorton Anti Virus
    Spy sweeper (by webroot.com)
    Pest Patrol
    Microsoft Anti Spyware.

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    House calls a specialty

Spy Sweeper is a GREAT program. Also try opening msconfig and looking for things that shouldn't be there.

Be aware that some programs simple reinstall the spyware that you remove the next time you boot up. You need to remove the actually program that was the source of the spyware.

I had a clients computer here the other day with similar problems and I spend a full day before the things were eliminated, each time I checked there was spyware found, it got less and less till it was finally clear.

I also suggest running nortons win doctor, part of nortons system works. It won't fix spyware problems but it will help fixed dead entries in the register.

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    House calls a specialty

Originally posted by TheDoctor
    Suggested softyware

Nortorton Anti Virus
    Pest Patrol
    Microsoft Anti Spyware.

Doc
    The MS Anti Spyware is good! I had to use to Browser Hijack option earlier today when my IE got taken over. I was surfing for bikini girls wallpaper when I got hit and it got me pretty good. Ran MSAS, Restored to yesterday then ran MSAS again and all was good.
    Dave

Originally posted by TheDoctor
    Suggested softyware

Nortorton Anti Virus
    Pest Patrol
    Microsoft Anti Spyware.

Doc
    I would also check out HijackThis.
    - Matt

How do I get Microsoft Anti-Spyware?

Originally posted by DavidL
    The MS Anti Spyware is good! I had to use to Browser Hijack option earlier today when my IE got taken over. I was surfing for bikini girls wallpaper when I got hit and it got me pretty good. Ran MSAS, Restored to yesterday then ran MSAS again and all was good.
    Yes MS Anti Spyware is good, I suppose if you make enough programs you will eventually get one or two right.

To help eliminate threats of spyware one needs to use programs that aren't use for transmitting spyware.

The two programs I suggest people tried to limit the use of is.

Internet Explorer
    Outlook (outlook express)

I personally use

Opera
    Incredimail

I haven't had spyware or virus's for at least 10 month's. Even though I have accidently visited one or two x rated sites.

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    House calls a specialty

I ran MSAS and NOTHING, not ONE, SINGLE, LITTLE, piece of spyware found, it didn't find any spyware running in processes, registry or files :-/

Anything else it could be?

Originally posted by WinAxis
    I ran MSAS and NOTHING, not ONE, SINGLE, LITTLE, piece of spyware found, it didn't find any spyware running in processes, registry or files :-/

Anything else it could be?
    Did you follow ALL the steps I suggested. One program will find SOME of the spyware, to be certain you need to run ALL the programs suggested, and it is important to do it with "system restore" disabled and boot to "safe mode"

You couldn't passable have had time to do all that.

If you are convinced (and I ceertaily aren't) you have no spyware or visus's then the next step is.

1. Format Both Drives

Make sure you setup NTFS partitions on both drives

Doc
    Last edited by TheDoctor; 04-15-2005 at 11:42 PM.
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    House calls a specialty

I think DavidL has the right answer. Based on the fact you're getting the MSN search page it sounds like DNS resolution issues. Who is your ISP? Comcast by any chance?

Try using another provider's name servers. If you need some I can post a few examples. At the very least it would help eliminate that as a cause.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

Doc,

I did everything you said, step by step, in safemode I ran MSAS, found nothing, ran Spybot, found nothing, ran McAfee Anti Virus, no viruses found.

As for DavidL's solution, I am actually in Australia, there is only one major cable internet provider here, and I dont think i'd be able to change my DNS from it's current to an american one, or another provider in Australia.

Originally posted by WinAxis
    Doc,

I did everything you said, step by step, in safemode I ran MSAS, found nothing, ran Spybot, found nothing, ran McAfee Anti Virus, no viruses found.

As for DavidL's solution, I am actually in Australia, there is only one major cable internet provider here, and I dont think i'd be able to change my DNS from it's current to an american one, or another provider in Australia.
    To some extent we think one program is beter than another just because we use that program and I haven't used McAfee for sometime, however my opinion that it wasn't as good as Norton Antivirus.

I did however use spybot the other day and I wasn't impressed and as I said before and will say again. It takes MORE than one spyware program to eliminate spyware. You haven't used spysweeper and you haven't used Pest Patrol, anyway if your convinced you haven't got spyware then it's down to a corrupt OS or hardware.

I don't mean to be critical but it is hard to diagnose via posts. I get many clients ring me with similar problems and I suggest the same that I suggested to you and then then ring back again saying they followed my steps, but they still have the problem, when they finally bring it to me I find the computer riddled with spy ware and virus's. As I said before depending on what spyware, worms, diallers, key loggers etc it can take hour and hours to actually get rid of it.

Doc

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    House calls a specialty