Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Why not e-mail a few hosts ezzi, sm, sagonet, others and ask if they can offer you that?

Originally posted by jenhance
    i have read the rules and im not promoting my self
    Sirius is right, and on top of that you're spamming up the thread with 3 posts that could have been done in one. I would be willing to bet you sent a piece of PM spam to the person as well. That is not the way WHT works.
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

Sagonet.com has Dell servers (Sago's Atlas Line) servers and NAS solutions..

terabyte boxes

To add on to riverpast's comments on building a terabyte box -- I just wanted to contribute my experiences, having built a handful of terabyte boxes
    Whatever case you choose, you can make it stay much cooler by choosing to go with a SATA solution over IDE due to smaller cables. By choosing IDE/SATA over SCSI you can get excellent storage capacity, and good transfer rates by choosing the right controller card and right RAID level.

I have a 3ware 9500S-8 right now, and run Eight 250GB drives in a RAID-50 configuration. This allows me to lose two drives and keep on going. I'd recommend a RAID-5 or RAID-50 configuration. The 3ware cards are definitely the ones you'll want to go with -- not only do they have drivers for linux, freebsd, etc. -- but they actually support them, and know what they're doing. The hardware is spectacular, and worth every penny. Don't bother trying to save by going with any other brand -- you'll regret it in the long run -- I've tried many other hardware RAID cards, and 3ware is where its at.

If you can recommend these things to a host, and see if they'll give you a quote -- the hardware end of it should be doable for far less than riverpast noted -

I made my current box for < $2,000
    Its a P4 HT 3.0Ghz, 1GB RAM, 36GB 10KRPM WD Raptor OS Drive, the 3ware 9500S-8 and 8 250GB WD SATA Drives.
    ---
    May this post be indexed by spiders, and archived for all to see as my internet epitaph.
    MikeSchroll.com

I agree, 3ware raid cards are a saving grace in the world of linux hardware raid controllers. There are others that can do the job, but at a huge cost premium.
    Neosurge Web Services since 2002
    Neosurge VPS Hosting

As far as RAID cards go, we've had good luck with the LSI MegaRAID 300-8X card. It's slightly more expensive than the 3ware card, but not by much.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

yo holla at sagonet jbrozena@sagonet.com (salesman) Jason and ask him what you need they got. yeah peruvianfinest sent ya.

I think you're not getting a lot of response, because you haven't specified in more detail your budget, etc.

By the sounds of it, budget is pretty tight on your side, because you dont want a large setup fee, and assumedly since it sounds like your operating budget is pretty tight, you want a low monthly fee. Since only the 'cheapie' providers will be able to fulfill the latter requirement of lots of cheap bandwidth, that presents a problem, as very few providers want to custom build a $5k+ box to bring in a customer who doesen't present the air of stability (eg. you dont want to have a low setup, and moderate/low monthly fee for a month to month customer with a setup cost that high).

Notably most of the cheapie hosts have smaller profit margins overall, thus building boxes of that nature may be out of many of their spending ranges to acquire a new customer to say the least, which obviously presents the predicament that you're in.
    Myles Loosley-Millman - admin@prioritycolo.com
    Priority Colo Inc. - Affordable Colocation & Dedicated Servers.
    Two Canadian facilities serving Toronto & Markham, Ontario
    http://www.prioritycolo.com

Another option

Get a Dell PowerEdge 1800 (dual Xeon 3.0/2MB, 1GB RAM, CERC SATA RAID 6ch, 40GB HD for $999 right now). Add 6x400GB SATA drives (around $1500), configure it to RAID-5, and you will get a 5U server for under $3000.

Co-lo it.

by the way, the $549 quoted for Leaseweb was not US Dollars, its in Euros, so the actual price in USD is much more.

By a NAS off from Ebay. You can good deals there. But like everyone has said, you need to have a figure in mind and share that with others so they can let you know - yes (possible) or no (not possible).

Eitherway, good luck.

Faisal
    "I drink too much. The last time I gave a urine sample it had an olive in it. ".
    Rodney Dangerfield (from "I Get No Respect!").

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12