Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking for 2-3TB storage with 5000GB

Most dedicated hosts like SM, EV1, dont' seem to offer very much in the way of large storage. Looking for a recommendation or a quote on the specs listed. Lemme know if you have any questions.

2-3 TB storage
    5000GB bw/month
    100mbit burstable.

Does it have to be single server or can you split the content into multiple servers?

Most providers will offer an external raid device that you can connect 2 servers to. Or you can just get it on one big box with Raid 5 array.
    CloudNexus Technology Services
    Managed Services

Either would be fine i think. External SAN or even NAS would probably be fast enough for my needs. I'm surprised you say most hosts. I've never seen anything like suggested. Unless your talking a more expensive host, I've only experience with the cheap ones.

I think in regards to your specifications, it will be recommended to go for a quality host.

You're probably looking at something RAID 10 for that kind of storage requirement.
    █ Dan Kitchen | Technical Director | Razorblue
    █ ddi: (+44) (0)1748 900 680 | e: dkitchen@razorblue.com
    █ UK Intensive Managed Hosting, Clusters and Colocation.
    █ HP Servers, Cisco/Juniper Powered BGP Network (AS15692).

Why do you need a server with that much storage and bandwidth?

What is your budget you are looking at?

Are your sure you need that much storage? Your transfer usage isnt that derivitive of the high amount of storage you say you need.

Will be a streaming media server with several very large videos. I do need more space than bandwidth. 5000GB is a high number. I'd prefer to keep this all on 1 physical system but I'm open to suggestions.

I can't say that I have a price range at this point, I'm mostly looking right now to find out what the cost would be and looking for competitive offers.

All valid questions but I am going to assume that the poster understands his needs.

I say most DC's as frankly any of the larger ones will do the config you need if you ask them. Given your needs you really should go with a quality host. Think about how much you wish to spend and consider 2 servers linked to backend storage NAS/SAN (o my I just realized that both acronyms are a palindrome when you factor in general meaning ). I like that setup personally as you can do upgrades / modifications on the webserver/script side and not take the entire site down.
    Managed Services

As Sigmaservers said most DC's should be willing to do your configuration. However most of them will either want a large setup fee, or a contract to be signed. This way they do not spend several thousand dollars on a server for a client that bails out in 2 or 3 months.

Would you consider co-locating your own hardware? Would save you in the long run.
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

Unfortunatley co-locating would cost me too much to start. I want to leverage the buying power of a larger organization to get me started and pay over time. Perhaps down the road a custom colo setup would suit me better but not at this point.

$549 at leaseweb for 2TB disks and 8TB traffic

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=394891

Thanks eric, I think it'd probably be in my best interest to keep it hosted here in the states, but that is quite an offer they have. Just too bad the US dollar is so weak against the Euro!

well been a few weeks, anyone have any new provider suggestions?

This is not hard as long as you are willing to pay a huge setup or monthly fee. You don't see this on the website, because not many people need/purchase this configuration. Special order I guess.

theturtlecsz,

It might be easier to point you in the direction if you can give us a little information on what you need to use it for, and how you came to the usage calculations.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

Or information on the processor and ram needed...
    James Lumby

You're probably looking at something RAID 10 for that kind of storage requirement.

RAID 10 is a pretty bad idea for large amounts of storage as it's only 50% space efficient. To have a 3Tb array, as mentioned above, you'd need 6Tb of raw storage. That's equal to 16x 400GB HDDs!

To achieve the same amount of space with a RAID 5 array would require only 9 drives.
    Robin Balen
    Gyron Internet Ltd - http://gyron.net/
    UK colocation, managed hosting and connectivity services with 100% uptime SLAs

As mentioned earlier, co-lo would work best for you. Or make some friends at DC's and get them to put your HDD's into a server you want from them. I have done this several times, I bought a server from a friend who works at a DC, and asked him if I could have my own RAM and HDD installed.

Hasn't anyone else had any experience in this sort of setup. I was looking for hopefully suggestions of a good provider. I know I can call any host and get whatever I want done. That really wasn't the point.

I think lease a server from Dell and colo it would be better.

Well if you are just searching for a good provider any review of somebody that offers colo will do just check out the dedicated server section for tons of reviews.
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

theturtlecsz

I know it may seem that you aren't getting a straight answer but the problem is that it isn't that easy and many of the providers that can provide this service cannot respond directly saying "yes I can do that" as it is against the rules.

I would try the following:

Liquidweb
    EV1
    Theplanet
    alphared
    Burstnet
    bqinternet (may be able to do it they have large backup service packages).

This won't be a stock item that many of us have up and running but isn't difficult to do for a lot of people just, it will cost you somewhat for the bandwith and a large box with enough drives.

I doubt you will find many of us with boxes like that up and running though.
    Managed Services

Co-lo it

Actually, I was looking for the same thing (large storage, smaller bandwidth) for one of my projects. Here is what I concluded.

Nobody offers a "plan" like that. You might be a custom configuration for that, but it will be expensive.

If you do co-lo, SuperMicro offers a 3U chassis with space for 15 SATA drives here . Add processor, RAM, 3ware SATA RAID cards, and 15 250GB HD's, the server probably cost $5000 to $6000 with moderate configuration. You can co-lo it for around $400 to $500/month at the cheap end of the market.

It is possible to use several tower servers, but the total hardware cost will be about the same, and hosting will cost much more. So, for me, co-location of the 3U supermicro server will be the best option, but still too expensive for me the proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast