Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Comodo drop cpanel.trustix

I did a search and didn't see any threads about this, I'm sure that most will be aware that Comodo seem to have completely dropped their cPanel / trustix distribution, I hear rumours that they have even dropped support for the combined distro and won't support cPanel any longer.

Surely they can't have dropped support for it, seeing as customers are using it and paid for it. Can anyone who uses the trustix/cpanel software confirm details on continued support for the product.

Have Comodo contacted their clients and advised them of anything, are there any licensing issues going to crop up for existing clients of cpanel/trustix?

I see through the cpanel forums that cPanel have offered a special offer deal, should clients be displaced who are using trustix/cpanel, so if you don't know about that or have any information on the above and you use this product, I guess it's time to look at your options.

Thanks for any information that you may have about this.

cpanel drop them.

Originally posted by WCHost
    cpanel drop them.
    Hmm, cPanel have stated that they knew nothing of the removal of http://cpanel.trustix.com until it was mentioned within their forums - It now redirects to their (comodo's) own competing panel, cPanel have stated (within their forums) that they have since removed support and links to trustix from their offerings and sites, but AFAIK the dropping was done by Comodo without any notification.

Are you a trustix/cpanel user? Do you have any further insight?

Looks like trustix is supporting H-Sphere now. Thats got to tick quite a few people off. I followed the cPanel link DigitalN posted, and started seeing H-Sphere logos all over.

How nice of Trustix to do that. Glad I didn't put my Trustix in their hands

Yeah, cPanel had a link to http://cpanel.trustix.com on their website, it was redirecting users to Comodo's trustix/h-sphere distro for a few days it seems. That would tick me off a bit as well.

i mean cpanel dropped them as well :p
    no insight but have 2 licenses with them. lucky enough..not too important since our servers cpanel licenses are from ndchost~

but heard that if you contact cpanel, they can give you discounts...currently asking what kind of discounts they will give

What a sham!

As a company they have a right to change policy I guess but, boy this is too much!

I stopped buying from Comodo ages ago - this confirms that I did the right thing. And to think - I downloaded the trustix/cpanel demao last month thinking it would be a good solution for VPS servers.

Yikes!

Originally posted by mlovick
    What a sham!

As a company they have a right to change policy I guess but, boy this is too much!

I stopped buying from Comodo ages ago - this confirms that I did the right thing. And to think - I downloaded the trustix/cpanel demao last month thinking it would be a good solution for VPS servers.

Yikes!
    I'd have to agree, poor form indeed it seems. I am still interested to know if Comodo actually informed their clients of the change / dropping of cPanel trustix, prior to making the decision and redirecting the URL to hsphere products. Must have been a shock to some I would say.

I am hearing that they have not even had the decency to notify their paying customers even now, which isn't what I call acceptable service.

I have to say based on their history, the future doesn't include me in it anyway.

I'd be worried about anything that they touch, incluing hsphere, just my opinion though.

I'd be worried about anything that they touch, incluing hsphere, just my opinion though
    Absolutely - this does not inspire confidence, what if they decide to drop hsphere or even the trustix (rh7.3) OS.

Where will that leave companies who have trusted them? And more importantly - where does that leave end users who put their trust in us?

This is poor - and bad for the industry as a whole IMO.

Not to sure if any of you know or not, but Psoft, the makers of Hsphere, was bought out by Comodo not that long ago. I dont think that they are gonna drop support for Hsphere any time soon. Just my opinion.

Well after Trustix/Comodo CC'ed about 45 users and now this stunt I don't think we'll be reselling their ssl certificates.

Cpanel only dropped them because comodo would not reply back to them, and removed the cpanel link. Why should cpanel support something after something like that? After they made a deal on the licenses etc.. cpanel already has stated they are going to offer discounts to people that are affected by this.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

wondering how much cheaper it going to be

My guess is that since comodo now owns psoft, who makes h sphere and cp+, they aren't going to package a competitors control panel with their os. I can't say I agree or disagree with their decision but by packaging their own software from different divisions makes sense from a cost stand point rather than paying cpanel for their product. The other issue here is that most consider cpanel an inferior product to h-sphere so it only makes sense for comodo to package their os with a better product.
    Matt Kelly
    WCiT.net
    Managed and Unmanaged
    Budget VPS, Cloud and Colocation

Here is the story on how I seen it being part of Comodo:
    cPanel was ported to Trustix 2.0 - which had end of life on Dec 2004. After that we received quite a number of complaints from customers that cPanel doesn't work well with current distribution of Trustix (2.2). This was several times related to cPanel - but the port of cPanel was not yet updated to Trustix 2.2. So we had to stop selling cPanel on the front page until it would be updated to the latest (or any supported) version of Trustix. I don't know why cpanel never updated their port to latest distribution of Trustix - but we have an agreement in place with cPanel to continue selling cPanel and this is as a way to promote Trustix distribution for us.
    I really hope this will be resolved between us and cPanel - as we want to promote Trustix OS - and it is one way for us to do it. Also, while CP+/H-Sphere compete at some markets with cPanel, there is really not that much of a competition. It is really simple to figure out what panel we should recommend to the customer, based on their requirements.
    So, basically - Comodo still plans to sell cPanel on Trustix, on the same level as it sells CP+ and H-Sphere (though the other two will be available on other platforms as well). I really hope it is just mis-understanding between two companies, and that it will be resolved pretty fast.
    Igor Seletskiy
    CEO @ Cloud Linux Inc
    http://www.cloudlinux.com
    CloudLinux -- The OS that can make your Shared Hosting stable

Proper communication with their partners and resellers would be helpful.
    Blacknight
    ICANN accredited domain registrar

Originally posted by iseletsk
    Here is the story on how I seen it being part of Comodo:
    cPanel was ported to Trustix 2.0 - which had end of life on Dec 2004. After that we received quite a number of complaints from customers that cPanel doesn't work well with current distribution of Trustix (2.2). This was several times related to cPanel - but the port of cPanel was not yet updated to Trustix 2.2. So we had to stop selling cPanel on the front page until it would be updated to the latest (or any supported) version of Trustix. I don't know why cpanel never updated their port to latest distribution of Trustix - but we have an agreement in place with cPanel to continue selling cPanel and this is as a way to promote Trustix distribution for us.
    I really hope this will be resolved between us and cPanel - as we want to promote Trustix OS - and it is one way for us to do it. Also, while CP+/H-Sphere compete at some markets with cPanel, there is really not that much of a competition. It is really simple to figure out what panel we should recommend to the customer, based on their requirements.
    So, basically - Comodo still plans to sell cPanel on Trustix, on the same level as it sells CP+ and H-Sphere (though the other two will be available on other platforms as well). I really hope it is just mis-understanding between two companies, and that it will be resolved pretty fast.

yeah right, why is cpanel.comodo.com redirecting to hsphere then
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

http://trustix.com/purchase/index.html

Cpanel is even removed.

There is no A record for cpanel.comodo.com - so I have no idea why it redirects any where at all for you.
    cpanel.trustix.com does redirect to h-sphere due to marketing compain linking that page. We cannot sell cpanel, due to it not working on Trustix. The agreement allows us to sell cpanel only on Trustix. So, for now - the only thing we can do - is redirect existing campaing to h-sphere.
    The reason we don't sell it - see above post - we cannot, until it is updated to Trustix 2.2
    Igor Seletskiy
    CEO @ Cloud Linux Inc

Nice excuse just remove the redirect then
    Clustered Hosting With Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
    http://www.solidinternet.com
    8 Years of hosting excellence!

I really want to see you advertising windows hosting, unable to sell windows - and just wasting hundreds of visitors per day that come to that page - intead of redirecting them to unix hosting. It is not like cpanel site was linking to that page in any way.
    Igor Seletskiy
    CEO @ Cloud Linux Inc

There is no A record for cpanel.comodo.com - so I have no idea why it redirects any where at all for you.
    cpanel.trustix.com does redirect to h-sphere due to marketing compain linking that page. We cannot sell cpanel, due to it not working on Trustix. The agreement allows us to sell cpanel only on Trustix. So, for now - the only thing we can do - is redirect existing campaing to h-sphere.
    The reason we don't sell it - see above post - we cannot, until it is updated to Trustix 2.2
    Do you think that redirecting http://cpanel.trustix.com to your hsphere product, without telling anyone, including the cPanel developers who had a link there on their website, is a honourable thing to do?

Have clients using the distribution been informed why the product is removed? Are you still providing support right now for existing clients of cPanel trustix?

We told contacted them several time about needing to get cpanel up to speed. After that - redirecting the site/stop selling it was the only option we had. I was pretty sure that they were notified about our plans to stop selling it if it would not be updated. I wasn't aware they ever linked to cpanel.trustix.com - but based on this page:
    http://web.archive.org/web/200411300...://cpanel.net/
    they did. Sorry about that - I did not know that, and I am sure that people that redirect the site weren't aware of it as well. At one moment we just had a meeting - to resolve the issue with all the complaints of cpanel not working with supported versions of trustix - and we just decided to stop selling it until it is updated.
    And yes - we are still providing support to existing customers.
    The product is not "removed" from the support channel, it is just removed from the sales channel.
    On behalf of comodo - I would like to appologize to cpanel.net with the linking thing. I trully did not know they were linking to that page.
    Igor Seletskiy
    CEO @ Cloud Linux Inc

In my opinion it would have been more prudent to put up a page saying that the new version of Trustix/cPanel 2.2 was in developement still - There could have been a general link to your other products on that page, explaining to existing clients too that they can still get support.

The way it looks right now, there isn't any support for the product and clearly clients (and cPanel devs) were not informed prior to removing the software from the site, or this thread wouldn't be here.

If the above had been carried out, Comodo wouldn't be scaring potential and existing clients away, as you are still saying that Comodo want to support cPanel Trustix when it works to your satisfaction, which is fair enough that you would only sell a product that you think is good enough. You should have said that prior imho, rather than redirect. I can't imagine nobody knew about the link on cPanels site and that you don't have staff that track referrals etc, but thats not my place to say what your company should and shouldn't do regards your business.

In short, IMHO, Comodo have a bad track record, which is showing up once again, I think you at least need a new decision maker over there, as the current one(s) should be fired for creating bad press, or perhaps that's how they want to operate, not sure.

Psoft were great pre Comodo, I hope that continues for all the hsphere clients and devs.

Thanks for answering the questions as well Igor.

You are right regarding the page - the way you propose it - it does sounds better/would be correct way to deal with it in my opinion.

Also I have to say that decision makers in Comodo are good - I tend to agree with them, and I agreed with them on the point that we should stop selling cpanel until Trustix 2.2 is supported. It is PR department were we currently lacking (IMHO) - and we are actually looking for a person at this particular moment to head that department.

You are right - we did create the confusion, and maybe if we handled it a little bit better/explained it better - it would not create so much issues.
    Yet, I stand by the decision - we could not sell cPanel due to it not supporting Trustix, and when we actually tried to sell it for other OSes - we got the email from cPanel that we should stop.
    Igor Seletskiy
    CEO @ Cloud Linux Inc

You've satisified my question Igor thanks, maybe you should move into a 'Head of PR role'...

I'm all done, have a great rest of the day.

You are right regarding the page - the way you propose it - it does sounds better/would be correct way to deal with it in my opinion.

Also I have to say that decision makers in Comodo are good - I tend to agree with them, and I agreed with them on the point that we should stop selling cpanel until Trustix 2.2 is supported. It is PR department were we currently lacking (IMHO) - and we are actually looking for a person at this particular moment to head that department.

You are right - we did create the confusion, and maybe if we handled it a little bit better/explained it better - it would not create so much issues.
    Yet, I stand by the decision - we could not sell cPanel due to it not supporting Trustix, and when we actually tried to sell it for other OSes - we got the email from cPanel that we should stop.
    Causing confusion seems to be a very common thing with Comodo.
    It's a pity, but it keeps on happening.
    Comodo have not formally informed resellers/partners that they are no longer selling cpanel.
    If they are no longer selling it, why haven't any of us been informed? Is that too much to ask?
    Blacknight
    ICANN accredited domain registrar

I'll try to address all this issues on Monday/Tuesday.
    Igor Seletskiy
    CEO @ Cloud Linux Inc

Igor,

You might want to consider putting your point accross in this thread on the cpanel forums ( sacrifice of first born required, aka, signup ):
    http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=37931

Anyway you put it, what was done, was wrong, not only because of the linking issue, but because you left so many of your clients without any single bit of notice. As far as I can tell, cPanel has had no correspondance with you're people, and i'm not sure I can take your word on the fact that you've been in contact with them for further support of your product. The way it appears at the moment is that cPanel support for 2.2.. well you'll probably have a better chance finding a needle at the bottom of the atlantic without diving equipment.

I've now got clients that are extremely bothered by all of this and i'm working overtime ( on an already exhausting work load ) to make sure they are all happy and sorted out. Thanks a lot for the business at least.

It might be true that there was no correspondence with cPanel that we plan to stop selling cPanel. Mostly because it was temp. solution, until support issues were resolved. We did spoke to them about Trustix 2.2 support. TSL 2.0 reached EOL in Dec 2004 - even before Comodo aquired PSOFT/H-Sphere. Yet, cPanel did not work on Trustix 2.2, nor was ever update. Once again this was a temporary solution, with the idea to continue supporting the clients. The fact that cpanel droped Trustix support, and NEVER supported latest version of trustix.
    This discussion is very one sided. Everyone looks at the fact that we stoped selling cPanel. No one looks at the fact that cPanel doesn't natevely installs on Trustix 2.2 - and that they never updated cPanel port to support any "live" Trustix version.
    Igor Seletskiy
    CEO @ Cloud Linux Inc

22:09:17 <@bdraco> anyways .. I'm going to sleep.. trustix 2.2 support COULD have been done in 48 hours if someone had bothered to get me an install cd for it.

Enough said. Comodo, lift your game and cut the crap.
    http://magi.net.au - Development / rant blog for coders, *nix admins, unoffical cpanel and whatnot.
    Server administration / Emergency work / Security handling available on request - private message/email for quote or more information

Retracted

trustix.org - install CD is (and always was) available for free download.
    Igor Seletskiy
    CEO @ Cloud Linux Inc

Quite honestly mate, that makes little sence to me what you've just said. Did you bother to send cPanel the new version of your OS ? Whom was it that tried and tried to contact cpanel? I see nothing on their forums or in the bug / enhancement system either.

From what I've seen over the years, cPanel is, if not the fastest, among the top when it comes to porting to a new version of an OS. As of this moment for instance, they don't publicly display support for RHEL4 / CentOS4, yet in their edge build there is more than enough functional support for them both ( as long as SELinux is disabled ). In fact, I've had ZERO issues thus far.

Igor has told all the what happen, yes, perhaps it could have been done differently, but why the big fuss ?

I see a bunch of people complaining about something that they are not even related to, if your a comodo cpanel reseller, then you are owed an apology, a memo should have been sent explaining the decision so please contact us and we will work with you .. the others .. stop trolling already.
    Carlos Rego
    OnApp CVO

The Cloud Engine

Haze - have you considered that cPanel did not want to support Trustix, for what ever internal reasons?
    cPanel was notified that cPanel doesn't work with latest trustix, which was freely available for download - on a public website, known by anyone who works with trustix. What should have we done? Sent them ISO image by email?
    I am sure they knew where to get latest version.
    Igor Seletskiy
    CEO @ Cloud Linux Inc

I don't often speak here on WHT, but this seems to need some response.

To my knowledge nobody had raised issues with us about trustix 2.2 not working.

We were also not notified that Comodo would be pulling all refrence of cPanel from their site (including their forums) and redirect their official site to their own competing products. At this point, we still have received no contact from Comodo. Because of their actions, we can no longer promote the Trustix product.

As long they continue to maintain their PartnerNOC account, there should be no problem with licenses acquired through them.

This is kinda funny.

When i bought cpanel + trustix license from Comodo in November 2004 and February 2005 they didnt tell me anything about Trustix 2.0 going EOL.

What the **** is this, buying something that wont be supported anymore?

If i knew this before i would never buy this!

Yeah, this is wonderful. I spent the past month and a half getting a server ready, getting all the drivers working, and getting it shipped to the data center, only to find out about this now. I tried for the past two weeks to get a license, nothing, no response from comodo. when I called thier sales hotline, I was pushed big time to use hsphere, but I told the guy that I had a trustix/cpanel server already co-located, and I need the license. I was later told they would be phasing out cpanel and I really should be using hsphere. So now I have a cpanel server with 4 days of the 15 day trial used, and a OS that is EOL for more than 4 months now.

you guys say you will still support cpanel, why was the cpanel forum removed? now I must either have my server shipped back to get reset up, or pay big $ for remote hands.

Dan

Trustix 2.0 was supplanted by Trustix 2.2 - which is frelly availble - and it is minor update (meaning in most cases you can update without any issues, same kernel, same glibc). Just like CentOS 3.0->3.1->3.2->3.3->3.4
    The problem is that cpanel doesn't work with Trustix 2.2.
    Why it doesn't work - I don't know. It was them 'supporting' trustix.
    Igor Seletskiy
    CEO @ Cloud Linux Inc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast