Starting up your buisness, who else has had this many problems ?

Just curious if I'm the only one
    First, everything goes fine for the first few years with a dedicated server. Then, we sell the server to earn some money, convert it to a home buisness, and buy Server 2003. My in experience in setting up a server and re-installing the programs we needed, led to at least 5 late nights in a row and at least 6 reformats to quickly solve the problem.

Finally, we get things running a week ago. Then, we switch over to FIOS Fiber. First home service, then in a month later buisness service for the Server. The latest from Verizon. A day later, our web server goes offline. I notice the little blinking light on the read status light, and think...oh sh!t.

So, I call Verizon, and now we find out that the DSL can't run over the same line as fiber, for whatever reason, and we have a problem.

Now, we're trying to see if we cna wire one of our three lines for copper so we can get the DSL back, wich means our IP address might change, wich means more Plesk work, wich means more headaches.....

Please tel me I'm not alone in the 'starting up a new buisness' headache department? .

LOL, you are not alone. I've had some expensive problems when I started up mine, it's a part of the business. You will always have headaches, and they just get bigger..
    James Lumby

Wait..

You said you ordered FIOS for Business.. so why are you using DSL for your servers?

What does DSL have to do with your FIOS?

Who else has problems?
    Every company has problems when starting up.
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius

WE ordered FIOS Home service, in order to replace cablevision, both voice and internet, so the phone line is now coming over fiber.

Fios won't let you run a web server on their home service, so we still need the Buisness DSL for at least another month untill their FIOS for Buisness service gets up and running. Apparently the Executives are talking right now to see how they can help me out...

I'd move that box into a datacenter lickity-split. For the price of colo the advantages (to you and your customers) will be worth every dime.

For the record, we never had that many problems at all. We started out with a reseller account before moving to leased servers at quality datacenters.

I understand the attraction of having everything local, but I've always felt that, unless I can get the same horsepower, bells and whistles that the DC offers, it's just not worth it.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Does your office have a fire supressions system, datacentre air conditioning, UPS's, backup generator, redundant fiber?

If not I suggest you move the box into a datacentre. I know it's nice having servers in house, but trust me they're so much better in a datacentre, and you'll be able to give a better impression to your clients, nobody wants to be hosted from an office somewhere.

I'm thinking it may come to that if the Verizon guys can't come up with a solution. Plus we'll have protection from storms and power outages.

Can anyone recomend a good way to search for Data Centers? I doubt there's any local ones in Wyckoff. NJ.

Thanks

You are only about 30 minutes away from NetAccess (nac.net)
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

Or if you don't mind a little drive, you can see if EZZI.net supports Co-Location.

How far away are you from Secaucus, NJ? Equinix and XO both have great facilities up there. Last I remember, the Equinix facility is at about 5% (not sure how much more space has been promised to other clients though)...

Edited

Originally posted by RazorBlue - Dan
    Does your office have a fire supressions system, datacentre air conditioning, UPS's, backup generator, redundant fiber?

If not I suggest you move the box into a datacentre. I know it's nice having servers in house, but trust me they're so much better in a datacentre, and you'll be able to give a better impression to your clients, nobody wants to be hosted from an office somewhere.
    Yep, you need to make sure you willl always have protection from spikers and brownouts.
    If not, then you will find your server going off line frequently.

Jord
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius

I sent off an email to two data centers. One listed their prices on page, the other did not, so we'll see who offers the best deal. Although I'm more likley to do buisness with the place that dosn't have you ask what their prices are .