Web hosting at Home computer with Comcast ISP

Can anyone tell me how can I host my own website on my home computer using the Comcast /High speed cabel ISP?

First you need to check with them to see if they allow residential customers to run a web server.

If they do then check this site:

http://www.dslwebserver.com

Originally posted by blue27
    First you need to check with them to see if they allow residential customers to run a web server.

If they do then check this site:

http://www.dslwebserver.com
    Thanks for the reply.

by "Check with them" you meant my current ISP?

Never mind, others beat me to the answer.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

Originally posted by ipiscean

Yes, check with Comcast.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

Thanks for the reply.

Correct. Some ISP do not allow residential customers to run a web server. If you ask them directly they may allow you to run one as long as it's not using excessive resources.

Hi, I'm on Comcast. They do not allow this. This is a big no no with them.
    Innerplanet Web Hosting | Hosting websites worldwide since 1998
    █ Real 24 Hour Support | Enterprise Level Cloud Servers
    Why host your website in coach when you can host it in first class for the same price?
    www.innerplanet.com

I do know of any ISP that allows you to run a server off of your connection. You can find a reasonable host at a good price if you put in the effort to look. You would be better off that way then with the risk of running your own webserver.
    GenerousWebHosting.com Home of Generous George the Red Monster.
    24/7 Live Chat Support - 99.9% Uptime - 30 Day Money Back Policy

Hosting the web-site from home is a good idea but you should also take into consideration that fact that it has been allowed by your ISP. As far as I know Comcase does not allow hosting the server from home.

Would be much better if you get this confirmed and find for the ISP which allows you the same.

From Comcast Terms Of Service (section xiv) HERE

Prohibited Uses and Activities:

Prohibited uses include, but are not limited to, using the Service, Customer Equipment, or the Comcast Equipment to:

run programs, equipment, or servers from the Premises that provide network content or any other services to anyone outside of your Premises LAN (Local Area Network), also commonly referred to as public services or servers. Examples of prohibited services and servers include, but are not limited to, e-mail, Web hosting, file sharing, and proxy services and servers;

I would highly recommend going with an actual host, it will be highly worth it. Besides, Comcast won't allow it.
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Including an RSS feed that you can syndicate!
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Unlimited vs. Unmetered bandwidth

The only nationwide ISP I know that specifically allows running your own servers is Speakeasy.

I have a friend that's been running a web and BattleField1942 server with Comcast for several months. This is on the service that costs an extra $10/month. I keep telling him that they'll eventually find his servers and terminate him but 5 months have passed and Comcast has done nothing.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

I do not plan to run the complete web site on my home computer. I mainly want to use it for file storage server.

I plan to launch a website of photo sharing and printing services. And from other posts in this forum , I have been told that getting huge disk spaces will be costly and I may need dedicated servers.

So I am thinking of exploring the option of hosting the website with a pro web host and transer of the photo images files on my home computer as I only need thumbnails on the web server.

Can anyone suggest me a workaround to do this?

Well, if web sites are not allowed, there is an extremely high possibly that photo sharing services would not be allowed as they would tend to generate more bandwidth for them.

The workaround would be to get a proper server in a proper datacenter and do everything legally and above board.

Yes, launching a business is going to cost you something and maintaining one would also cost you money. It takes money to make money. That's just the standard business cycle.

Besides if you are hosting something commercial, you need to spend the necessary money in getting the proper framework ready and the proper business licenses and so on or else people would not part any money to you.

So I am thinking of exploring the option of hosting the website with a pro web host and transer of the photo images files on my home computer as I only need thumbnails on the web server.
    Yes, it can be done. You (and you're users) will not be happy with the results. Your cable speed (upstream) will not impress users of your site. Also pushing that much bandwidth will more than likely bring your server to comcasts attention.
    Your cheapest solution is to find a hosted solution, if you don't believe that look into the cost of getting just a single T1 line, you'll quickly become a believer in a hosted solution.

I worked for Comcast For about 2 years in teh Broadband support department. I dont know how many times in a month i had to tell people that they are in violation of their ToS for running servers and so on. Comcast ISP residential is an entertaiment product not a business product and all you are doing is hurting your neighbors and friends on the same network as you. Their abuse department is less then nice to people who violate this specific part of the service agreement, so in short its flat out not worth it. I know someone posted the ToS exert above and ive quoted it a million times when i use to work there.

Also you wont be happy with the results of trying to force that kind of traffic on that kind of network, its not ment for it. Just my 2 cents.

As already said, you would be better off just trying to find a descent web hosting provider. As well, your web traffic plus your internet usage equals slow connections and slow page loads so even if my ISP did allow a web server to be hosted on it's network, I still wouldn't do it because of the slow connection that it would result in. You would be better off to just find a web host then go through all the fustration of trying to run a web server from your internet connection
    ColoInSeattle - From 1U to cage space colocation in Seattle
    ServerStadium - Affordable Dedicated Servers
    Come visit our 18k sq ft. facility in Seattle!
    Managed Private Cloud | Colocation | Disaster Recovery | Dedicated Servers

I have thought of a workaround for disk space.

# When my users upload their images, I will store the thumbnails (1-3KB) on web server.
    # Store the original file (.5MB-2MB) on the web server for TEMPRORAY basis.
    # Then I will have a service running on my home server which will download the original (1MB files) using ftp.

This way I am not using disk space on Web server and I can dowload files using a normal cable connection at home. As my users do not need to see the original file and I can store those files at my own server and use them for printing photos. And I do not need my server on public internet as it will be just the client downloading files using ftp.

I more thing I am not sure about the resource utilisation. I am using ASp.NET and MS SQL. I will be doing database operations and image resizing operations.
    Will these be so resource intensive that I will require a dedicated server, I doubt!
    But that is based on my development experience, I am not sure how will it work on the actual web host?

Any ideas from ur experience?

That will depend on how well the scripts are optimized and how busy the site is. My guess would be that to start with you will more than likely be able to use a shared solution, but be prepared to move to reseller, VPS and ultimately dedicated packages as your site becomes busy.