View Poll Results: Do you recommend ******?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • No.

14 70.00%
  • Yes.

6 30.00%

****** : misleading by false advertisement!

Okay. here's is a discussion I had with one of their agent. read and post your opinion. I think i'm gonna cancel my service tomorrow. just signed up today. their custom control panel sucks offereing the minimalist functions!! anyway, here's the log.
    -----------------------
    Chat InformationPlease wait for a site operator to respond.
    Chat InformationAll operators are currently assisting others. Thanks for your patience. An operator will be with you shortly.
    Chat InformationYou are now chatting with 'Cindy'
    Cindy: Welcome to ****** chat support! How may I help you today?
    mh: hi. i ordered ur gigbyte package noticing it offers unlimited subdomain. but when i ordered and logged on to my acocunt, i see it as an additional upgrade for $20/year? but i thought it was included in all packages as your site displays?
    Cindy: The Unlimited Subdomain is an add on service, that's why there's a charge of $19.95 for the upgrade
    mh: but did you look at this? [URL]
    mh: just goto compare packages in your website.
    mh: it clearly displays, in all three packages, the feature is included.
    Cindy: It says that the feauture is supported in all the packages because before, we only support it in gigabyte and commerce starter packages but now, all packages support that but that would be an add on.
    mh: why do you have the tick mark then? doesn't that tell a customer that its included? don't u think it should be explicitly mentioned that its an add on NOT included? this is the reason why i ordered ur service but if you trick your customers like that... i have no choice.. can i have the billing departmens number?
    mh: i thought it had subdomains which made me order .
    Cindy: It actually has a price beside it, Unlimited Sub-domains ($19.95)
    mh: yah. but it doesn't say its additional? right? the price is displayed to show how much its worth! you dont' tell that its a separate purchase!
    Cindy: The page shows the features and pricing of the packages, I'm sorry if there's a misunderstanding regarding this but you really need to pay to enable the subdomain feature in your account.
    mh: no. i wont. just give me that damn number. i wont' pay additional money becuase you falsely advertise on your site and mislead customers. is that understood? now, the number.
    mh: i'll make sure to talk about your service on every forums i go to. it will be heard. bet on that.
    mh: fine. so now you stop responding? i'll find the number from your website. goodbye.
    Cindy: I'm sorry to keep you waiting. What number would you want, though?
    mh: the billing department. but its okay if you dont have it. i'm browsing the site anyway. bye
    -----------------------------------
    Well, what can I say. to ******, A CUSTOMER IS ALWASY RIGHT OK? you can't fool everyone!
      0 Not allowed!

here is a picture!!
    http://www.******.com/packages/index...ckages=compare
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gaybat.png  
      0 Not allowed!

Cindy: It actually has a price beside it, Unlimited Sub-domains ($19.95)
    I don't see any ambiguity here.

If you see a listing for services and all the services have no $ value next to them and then a line item actually has a price tag next to it why would you assume that it was the value of the feature? Are all the other features, by that logic, of no value because they have no price tag next to them?

Well, what can I say. to ******, A CUSTOMER IS ALWASY RIGHT OK? you can't fool everyone!
    No. The customer is not always right. I'm not in business but I am a Comm professional. I can tell you that quite often the customer doesn't know what he's talking about. The customer should always be treated with respect and I think, if anything, Cindy was very nice to you after you started upbraiding her for your mistaken reading of their product offering.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site
      0 Not allowed!

I read this the same as DevilDog. If I were ****** I'd put $19.95/yr in each column instead. It makes perfectly clear what they mean that way, even though I understood in the first place. But if I see how you could interpret it differently.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.
      0 Not allowed!

I didn't see the word "additional" service? Normally a lot of webhosts list features with how much they worth in brackets to show how much or what features ( as in additional value!) they're including in a package. If a feature is to paid for separtely, they mention "EXTRA" or "ADDITONAL"! They don't trick customers like this! by putting a check mark so that a potential customer thinks its included! subdomain is the major reason why i signed up with them.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by sohifa
    I didn't see the word "additional" service? Normally a lot of webhosts list features with how much they worth in brackets to show how much or what features ( as in additional value!) they're including in a package. If a feature is to paid for separtely, they mention "EXTRA" or "ADDITONAL"! They don't trick customers like this! by putting a check mark so that a potential customer thinks its included! subdomain is the major reason why i signed up with them.
    Want to throw in a few more exclamation points so you can make your point better? Sheesh dude. You need to chill out. It weakens your argument.

Get your money back if you don't like it. It's unfortunate that you couldn't see it but it appears obvious to me when a price is broken out and no others are. Could it be clearer? Sure.

At least they don't haggle about giving you your money back if you don't like it.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site
      0 Not allowed!

If a feature is to paid for separtely, they mention "EXTRA" or "ADDITONAL"!

It wouldn't matter what you put there. Some people only see what they want to see.

If the big $19.95 beside the feature didn't ring any bells I don't know what would.
      0 Not allowed!

If it was additional then I would have expected a cross in each column and the () to contain ($19.95 extra/year).
      0 Not allowed!

Well, the so-called additional price is listed within (), so I think most service buyers can expect this option as an add-on. But I agree that ****** should direct to a page, where it is explained clearly.

****** accepts cancellings and do moneyback. And talking from my experience, iPowerweb has sub-domains functions INCLUDED with the package, but sometimes it doesn't work.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by RangerOfFire
    If it was additional then I would have expected a cross in each column and the () to contain ($19.95 extra/year).
    THat's exactly my point. The way it appears on their site, confuses one easily into thinking that its included.
    here. take a look at this.
    http://gisol.com/hosting/index-unix.php

Do you see how they're advertising? I don't think you pay all these extra money just because they mention the price inside ()'s. they put a tick mark to indicate that the feature is included and its value inside (). Not to find out its extra add on after you place your order. that's just evil business practice. tricking customers?
      0 Not allowed!

here is a picture!!
    http://www.******.com/packages/index...ckages=compare
    You should really learn to read and review a website before placing an order.

This was painfully obvious... tough noggies on your part.

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.
      0 Not allowed!

ok. questions for you guys. what does a tick mark mean? i'm sorry i dont' see what you guys see. please explain the meaning of the tick mark.
      0 Not allowed!

The fact that ($19.95) is there clearly states that you can add it to your account but it is going to cost you. I agree it is a bit misleading maybe you should email support/sales and inform them that you signed up for there hosting under the impression that you got unlimited domains, and tell them you are unhappy with there service and would like a refund or the unlimited domains They will clearly give you the unlimited domains over loosing a customer as unlimited domains... is free.
      0 Not allowed!

I would have to go with it being clearly marked yes, however instead of having a checkmark which would indicate it is included they should have the word Optional or Add-on which would indicate it being an additional value added service.

-Justin
    Justin Schurawlow :: Technology Enthusiast
    Schurawlow PC Repair
    Computer Services for the Lehigh Valley area
    Blog :: The Justin Schurawlow Blog
      0 Not allowed!

Interesting poll on this thread.

I thought the issue was whether sohifa has a legitimate complaint about a "deceptive" ad and not whether folks would recommend ****** as a web host.
    Last edited by DevilDog; 04-15-2005 at 05:57 PM.
    Rich
      0 Not allowed!

sohifa, while I was reading your conversation with ****** and your reaction to the additional charge, I really thought that ****** brought a charge out of the blue for the unlimited subdomains feature, but that wasn't the case. Although I do believe ****** can take steps to be sure the $19.95 add-on charge is a bit clearer (i.e. replacing the checkmark with $19.95 or "Optional" on the chart), I do believe you failed to carefully research the package description when ordering from them.

I don't believe the title you used, "****** : misleading by false advertisement!" is fair to ******. A false advertisement would be if ****** says they offer unlimited subdomains to hosting clients, but when you ask for unlimited subdomains you find out that ****** does not support the feature. You always have the ability to cancel your hosting account with ****** and move on to another provider if you choose to do so, but my recommendation is to do a better job of researching your next provider before ordering.
    Sedna Solutions · Internet Marketing · Web Design · Branding · Advertising · Graphic Design · Public Relations · Consulting
    Sedna Hosting · Web Hosting Solutions
      0 Not allowed!

THat's exactly my point. The way it appears on their site, confuses one easily into thinking that its included.
    here. take a look at this.
    http://gisol.com/hosting/index-unix.php

Do you see how they're advertising? I don't think you pay all these extra money just because they mention the price inside ()'s. they put a tick mark to indicate that the feature is included and its value inside (). Not to find out its extra add on after you place your order. that's just evil business practice. tricking customers?
    What makes me amused about this is your example site has the word 'value' after the price. The ****** page however just shows the price, which I immediately accepted as the price of that feature. Seems other viewer's and myself didn't have a problem understanding that's an additional cost. Had they listed it as '($19.95 Value!)' I'd be behind you.

I'd also like to point out that you got rude very quickly with Cindy. That just grates on my nerves. She was polite to you despite your misunderstanding of the page and you coped a quite an attitude. The Golden Rule still applies here: Treat others how you want to be treated.

I don't see any attempts to mislead customers by ******, so this thread is unfair to them.
    WHT is now used as the Universal Hosting Helpdesk.
      0 Not allowed!

Smile

I agree with Zeyr (like many others)

Your example doesn't really compare as it does have the word "value" in it, I suppose ****** could of made it a little bit clearer, however i also agree this thread is unfair to them, i'm not going to vote as i have had no experiance with them.

I see it a little unfair saying "would you use them" when it was your mistake in the first place. Research is always best to do first (also calm down when speaking to support, if you want to be shouting at them no they wont see you as a very good customer imo.
      0 Not allowed!

I agree with sohifa. They should have placed $19.95 in the column instead of the checkmark, instead of putting it next to the feature. I would've assumed the same thing, that it was included for free.

And no, I don't recommend ****** to anybody.
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Including an RSS feed that you can syndicate!
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Unlimited vs. Unmetered bandwidth
      0 Not allowed!

The Unlimited Sub-Domains is listed under Add-ons so it shows that there is extra money to pay for it.

Don't see anything wrong with it. May not be clear to some people but legally they are not wrong.
      0 Not allowed!

I can see that they didn't make it that clear but if I was interested in that account and wanted the unlimited subdomains, I would not have signed up without contacting them first to find out what the $19.95 really meant.
    Everyone is entitled to MY opinion.
    CatfishEd.com
      0 Not allowed!

I can see that they didn't make it that clear but if I was interested in that account and wanted the unlimited subdomains, I would not have signed up without contacting them first to find out what the $19.95 really meant.
    That was like reading my own thoughts Ed.
      0 Not allowed!

You should have contacted them regarding the $19.95 beforehand. The package price isn't $19.95 I believe, so this is in no way falsely leading.
    BeeServe
    * Rock solid shared & reseller UK webhosting. No downtime™ *
    Now offering fully managed VPS servers
      0 Not allowed!

If you're looking for a host that has perfect communication, and is perfectly clear about every feature they offer, you're going to be searching for a very long time. These people are human, just like us.

It seems obvious to me that the person who designed the page was trying to put across that the feature cost extra, and it seems from reading this thread, that most people understood it. I'll agree that it could have been clearer, but I seriously doubt that it was maliciously, and deliberatly, deceptive.

I was always taught in school that, when writing exams, I should Read The Question, not skim over the question, and assume I knew what it said. I think this applies here (see - we do learn things in school - who'd have thought)
    Gareth Cornish
    Always looking for new hosting sites
    http://www.compare-web-hosting-sites.com
      0 Not allowed!

Well, when you sign up, it has "add-ons" and has unlimited sub-domains, so you shouldn't have signed up & provided your cc info before reading everything on the page.

I can understand your confusion with the 19.95 and the checkmark, but during the signup process, it's clearly stated.
      0 Not allowed!