Zeus webserver - worth the price?

I've been looking at Zeus webserver and its feature set is very impressive. If you have used Zeus, could you please share your experiences with it? Is it worth the price?

Can it be used to provide a shared hosting service (with ftp, mail, etc)? I looked at their mass hosting module but it didn't mention any integration with ftp, mail, etc.

Last but not least, is it possible to get a cheaper license of Zeus elsewhere?

Thanks for the info!

Zeus is pretty cool, but the features it has doesn't really make me want it much over Apache.
    mod_ioboost speeds up all the apache stuff I can think of, so performance probably isn't a good reason heh.
    AppliedOperations - Premium Service
    Bandwidth | Colocation | Hosting | Managed Services | Consulting
    www.appliedops.net

I suspect that if Zeus were really leaps and bounds ahead and above of Apache, the egalitarian anti-open-source community would be quite persistent promoters of it, in the same way that (for example) they insist that RedHat is better than Debian, or Movable Type is better than WordPress, just because they're commercial products. Maybe I've just been fortunate, but I haven't noticed any such promotion of Zeus, ergo I am forced to conclude that either no fools operate dedicated servers (demonstrably untrue), or Zeus just isn't "all that".
    redpin.com - offering amazingly competent email, dns, and web hosting since 2002... because someone has to!
    Because Simple Things Should Be Simple - YouCANHasDNS

There are many open source/lower cost options to Zeus that have a similar feature set. Two that come to mind are Lighttpd and Litespeed. Both have a similar architecture to Zeus and share similar performance. Lighttpd supports virtual hosting via mysql and Litespeed via its webadmin interface.

If you enjoy having a webadmin to manage your virtual hosts Litespeed would be a good choice. If you're more tech savvy then Lighttpd will work also.
    ServerMatingProject.com
    The World's first server mating experiment
    We give new meaning to I/O intensive and hot swap

Re: Zeus webserver - worth the price?

Originally posted by blueface
    I've been looking at Zeus webserver and its feature set is very impressive. If you have used Zeus, could you please share your experiences with it? Is it worth the price?

Can it be used to provide a shared hosting service (with ftp, mail, etc)? I looked at their mass hosting module but it didn't mention any integration with ftp, mail, etc.

Last but not least, is it possible to get a cheaper license of Zeus elsewhere?

Thanks for the info!
    Yes, I've investigated Zeus and would strongly still consider using it in a profeesional hosting environment.

I can't say wether it's worth the price. That depends highly on your situation. If you're thinking of using it to provide basic (cheap) shared webhosting I'd say maybe not*. If your hosting environment is more catering towards business users who want a mission critical, uber fast, and/or clustered webhosting environment and are willing to accept the strange differences of Zeus** then I'd absolutely recommend it.

*Ultimately in that scenario, the main thing Zeus has going for it is it's spiffy configuration interface. Something which you could possibly duplicate yourself for less then the cost of the software. (ie buy a cheap cPanel setup or something.)

**Zeus does things differently. Basic customers who don't know what FastCGI is or how to benefit from it are just going to be confused and mad that their mod_php designed site might not work the way it does with other hosts. Similarly, Zeus has it's own format of .htaccess stuff. It's similar... technicaly superior... but if your customers don't know how to really use it... it might as well not exist... or you'd better expect to do a lot more support then if you were just hosting under an Apache environment.

The "mass hosting" version of Zeus isn't designed as a webhosting "environment" that handles mail and ftp and other services. It's more designed as a way for you to provide resellers their own branded version. (At least that's the way I understood it.)

And, afaik, you're not going to find a cheaper license of Zeus as they are the only ones who license it.

You might also want to look at: http://www.roxen.com/products/webserver/
    Last edited by Lightwave; 04-15-2005 at 09:23 PM.

Thanks for all the inputs!

Yes, I'm looking something faster than Apache for a robust shared hosting environment catered to business users with high volume of http traffics. For the user interface, I need an interface for the admin and user to manage accounts, setting up ftps, and a few other things.

It's said that Zeus is powering top sites like ebay so it must be very good and proven. Its clustering and load balancing support is also quite impressive, I bet ebay is using them.

Litespeed looks very appealing and the commercial license is available for a small fraction of Zeus price. Does anyone use it successfully here in a robust shared hosting environment?
    Last edited by blueface; 04-16-2005 at 08:21 AM.