Letter of Dispute - Collections Agency

short story:
    I've tried googling for the best ways to write a letter of dispute to clear something from my credit report, but all i get is lame "free credit report" sites. any experiences/help on this topic would be much appreciated

long story (the rant):
    I just had a collections agency call me for an autobill that failed from ****** more than 2 years ago. I had cancelled my account with them (i had found a much better host, myself ) and apparently, when my account was no longer functional about a year after i bought the plan, i thought that i had apparently successfully terminated my account with them. (their billing system wasn't working, so i used email correspondence)

well...this collections agency call was quite a surprise because I never received any email, phone, snail mail, or correspondence of ANY kind that my account with them had NOT been suspended, and that autobilling failed (i had lost the debit card i used to pay them, so the number no longer worked...which i thought was quite moot, because i cancelled all autobilling accounts on that card)

I'm beside myself on how I have a $200+ liability on me that i could not possibly know of. I'm also wondering how they could charge me $200 for something that cost $90/yr. and $12/yr for the domain.

anyway, I need to write a stupid letter of dispute, as ****** does not want to take back the debt (which i certainly did not incur), because they hired a collections agency out of laziness and need to pay them for my account.

also: any lawyers out there? if state law matters, i live in Louisiana

Re: Letter of Dispute - Collections Agency

Originally posted by sp0n9e
    also: any lawyers out there? if state law matters, i live in Louisiana [/B]
    Your asking for legal advice on WHT? You may want to consult with your parents first.

Being sent to a collections agency and having this on your credit report are two different things. Are you SURE this is on your credit report?

You are entitled to one free credit check a year per a new law passed. But with all the Google keyword spamming I can't tell you the site this is done from either, sorry.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

Lightbulb

Here is some info:
    First, did you recieve a letter from the CA? FDCPA states that a CA must provide you with a letter that contains their info within 7 days of first phone contact. Second, send the CA a Debt Validation Letter. An example copy can be found at the sites listed below. The CA by law must prove to you that you owe this debt. Make sure you send the letter registered with return receipt to prove they received it. Otherwise the CA will lie and say they never received it. Once the CA has your letter they are not allowed to contact you until the debt has be validated. If they do, it is a violation of the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act(FDCPA) and you can file a complaint against them. That is some of the basics. You will find out that most CA's are scumbags who try and intimidate you into sending them money that you might not owe. Check out these 2 sites for more info:

www.budhibbs.com
    www.debt-n-credit-letters.com
    www.plugbuddy.com-Promote your website! Use our Plugboard, Tagboard and FFAL. Also, Links, Fun Stuff and more!

Yep collection agencies are scumbags and I've been lied to on several occasions in the past or let's just say "misled".

The info Gyser gave sounds like a definite place to start in your fight on this one.
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

Re: Letter of Dispute - Collections Agency

Originally posted by sp0n9e
    short story:
    I've tried googling for the best ways to write a letter of dispute to clear something from my credit report, but all i get is lame "free credit report" sites. any experiences/help on this topic would be much appreciated

Wow dude, this is going to ruin your credit rating.
    Watch out.

Re: Re: Letter of Dispute - Collections Agency

Originally posted by belldoe
    Wow dude, this is going to ruin your credit rating.
    Watch out.
    Ruin? I don't think it will ruin it.

But I would definitely try to get it resolved asap, and clear things up.
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Including an RSS feed that you can syndicate!
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Unlimited vs. Unmetered bandwidth