Question What do you think about this host?

I'm shopping around for a good hosting company and I have found this one: http://www.sitemount.com
    I like their linux “Personal” plan: 1GB of space, unlimited e-mails and subdomains, with Plesk Control Panel and all other stuff. And it’s cheap, just 6.95$/month.
    Guys, what do you think about this host? I'm kind of new to actually setting up the web space, so I'd appreciate any advice.

The plan seems to be very impressive. But are you aware as to how long has this company been in the business, the quality of support? You need to make sure the company is having a good review when it comes to the end users. The uptime and the support must be very good.

You will be getting ample of advise in this regards but at the same time we would request you to check it for yourself the quality of support, the response time of the support which will help you to decide upon the company.

I would be interested in how you found them

Web site looks good and the pricing is reasonable. Tha's all I can say about them.

But I do not like that you can not switch of the mucis.

Bets Regards
    DawHB.com - Web Hosting Blog | VPSHostDir.com - VPS Hosting Media

I think the simplest way to see how long they've been around is just looking at thier google PR. They have 0 PR which let's me know they haven't been around for long.
    Map & Web Hosting
    URLdownload.com

Emmm...

I think they have a good offer and you should try their packages..
    MyLabuan Hosting : Shared & Reseller Hosting|VPS Hosting|Email Backup Services|Domain Services
    Join Us : MyLabuan FB

Originally posted by AlxCds
    I think the simplest way to see how long they've been around is just looking at thier google PR. They have 0 PR which let's me know they haven't been around for long.

That is not true at all. Google PR could mean absolutely nothing.
    If you want to see how long they have been around do a whois on the domain or better yet, contact their support center.

There is not guarantee unless you can see when they registered their business license.

But are you aware as to how long has this company been in the business, the quality of support?
    If a company is new in the business that doesn't mean you shouldn't give them a chance. How did all the web hosting companys out there start? at one point they were all new to the web hosting industry. For example, ThePlanet once had Zero clients and it has now become one of the leading company's in the web hosting industry.

I plan to launch my web hosting business May 1, 2005. I've been in the computer industry for five years now, finished my schooling and work for a major web hosting company. I have the experience and have acquired the necessary skills, such as the business aspect of things and both technical and customer skills. Does this mean when I launch my web hosting business that I'm incompetent? or that hosts shouldn't give me a try because my domain name was registered in april of 2005? Even though I have handled almost all the technical aspects when it comes to web hosting?

Nevertheless, sometimes companys who are to large supply fewer employees than required which in turn may be worse than a new company just starting out.

I've been reading through a lot of these threads in the past months and see that the many individuals do a whois on domain names etc. What if I had a web hosting business two years ago with a different company name and domain? And now I have decided to start a serious business with the proper business plan, proper finances along with marketing/advertising?

[edit]
    I say give sitemount a chance. You have nothing to lose except for finding another host if you are unhappy.
    [/edit]
    Regards,

Matthew

Originally posted by UniServe Hosting
    What if I had a web hosting business two years ago with a different company name and domain? And now I have decided to start a serious business with the proper business plan, proper finances along with marketing/advertising?

If that were the case then you should indicate on your site the history of your company.

Personally I wouldn't do business with someone who was doing hosting as a lark and then decided a couple of years later they would take it seriously.

Personally I wouldn't do business with someone who was doing hosting as a lark and then decided a couple of years later they would take it seriously.
    Things happen to people everyday. You wouldn't know that persons past and what may have arised during that time. Nor would you know if they are doing financially well now? However, I don't blame you. Skepticism is apart of human nature. Also, I'm not referring this to myself, however, I've seen people who used to offer free web hosting a few years back, stopped their free service to finish their education, then they landed a secure job and have both the knowledge and finance to star their business.

Anyhow, I'll leave it at that.

Regards,

Matthew

I think that you should give the company a chance they have a nice site and as far as I can see they aren’t reselling so heck you only live once

But I do not like that you can not switch of the mucis.
    Actually you can, there's an on/off volume button in the middle of the page.

I see people here suggesting simply to try their services. The OP stated:
    I'm kind of new to actually setting up the web space, so I'd appreciate any advice.
    Is our answer really helpful if we can only say "yeah try them, why not?".

I think that you should give the company a chance they have a nice site and as far as I can see they aren’t reselling so heck you only live once
    Unfortunately a nice site says virtually nothing about the people behind the service or the service itself. Them being a reseller or not, does not lead to a guarantee for quality service. Resellers can be good hosts; some hosts around these parts have started as resellers.

If a company is new in the business that doesn't mean you shouldn't give them a chance.
    I don't mean to be harsh, but any new hosting company must realise that experience in business is one of their weak points in their sales efforts, so they will lose customers because of that. It would take a whole lot of convincing power and a competitive offer to convince a seasoned shopper to buy an untested product/service, especially when there are so many other options available.

The customer's goal is to minimise his own risks, not to give new hosts a chance.
    I'm shopping around for a good hosting company
    To make your choice based on more than sheer luck, you need to find real feedback from real customers and thoroughly test the prospective host by sending presales questions, judge their answers, measure the time it took to respond etc.

Originally posted by anon-e-mouse
    I would be interested in how you found them
    I found Sitemount through MSN search:
    http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?F...=Linux+hosting
    Sitemount is #5 from the top of the page.
    That wasn't so difficult

Sitemount is #5 from the top of the page.
    Now that's a good ranking all right. Thank you for clearing that up.

Thank you, guys, for all your suggestions and comments.
    I am going to sign up for their “personal” plan this week and we will see how good it is then.

Do let us know as to what is the quality of support that you are having and any other experience that you would wish to share with us.

i host my sites at sitemount.com. I've been there for 3 month now, hade a couple of quastions, I icqed them for help got a respnonse within 2 hours. I have about 60k of traff and use about 2-3G a month, i paid $15 a month before, now i pay only 8.95, front page extensions are working overall so far i like them.

ehh i don't know, i have a website on a small tripod free account that i set up when i was 16. i'm now 25. i haven't been able to get in it and change anything for about 8 years due to a login issue. they never responded to my emails about it. lol. but it's still there! and it's page rank is a 3!! so if i got a 3 off of something like that... then what's a 5?

I have to say that I am not pleased with SiteMount. Yesterday I signed up for an additional webhosting account with them, and suffice to say that I used the email address of the account I was creating (think: recursive, LOL), therefore meaning that it was impossible for me to receive my account details (username and password). So, I emailed the kid who told me numerous times that he had forwarded that "welcome to your account" email to an email address that I could use to get the information I need to get into my account. I've not yet received that email. I asked him about it numerous times throughout the night (he was logged into his Yahoo Instant Messenger account), and he never bothered responding. So, I'm beginning to wonder whether he hi-jacked my account (thank God I have my domain elsewhere!). I just sent the kid a message saying that unless things change drastically, for the better, I will be taking my services elsewhere. I really don't like their Plesk software. In my opinion, it's not as good as CPanel, not NEARLY the number of features that CPanel is. The configuration tools for Plesk are buggy, and the kid told me he would look into resolving those issues (yeah, right, he's probably just a re-seller, or bought a server license for Plesk). Any other reliable, HONEST and affordable webhosting providers out there that provide the following:

-> less than $10 per month
    -> 10 MySQL databases
    -> unlimited email accounts
    -> 2gigs of space
    -> 20gigs of traffic (which I will NEVER use)
    -> PHP versions 4 & 5
    -> Python and Perl
    -> MySQL and PostgreSQL
    -> UNIX server
    -> shell access
    -> ftp
    -> CPanel (very important for me)
    -> TRUE SUPPORT

Well, I decided to cancel both of my accounts with SiteMount. Their support seems to be run by some teen-ager who, during support by instant messenger, appears and disappears mid-conversation, never giving reason for it. I think their website is just too confusing to use. They use the Plesk software, which I don't find that impressing. I went with HostGator for both of my hosting accounts, and am thus far very pleased with the way they have things set up. I really like the CPanel software, and would like to see if there is any control panel out there that is better than CPanel. Sorry, SiteMount, you need to ramp up your support efforts and make webmastering better for your account holders.