VPSfor Begginers/Novices

Ok lets for once put aside all the assumptions that a host has of a person looking to get into a VPS plan. I am a Novice to hosting period, unfortunately i may have out grown shared hosting and this is the next viable step. With that said, i would like to start a productive thread that would assist people like me on how to approach VPS hosting without getting hung out to dry, due to lack of knowledge.

Ok so lets say that what we as a VPS customer are looking for is something in the range of:

100 gigs bandwidth
    10 gigs disk space
    Cpanel X Control panel
    Linux/unix server

With that being the base requirements:

What would i expect to ask of potential hosts?
    What support should i expect?
    What price range would i be looking at?
    What software would i need to bring to the table?
    What things do you as a host assume that the customer already knows?
    What computer knowledge would i need?
    What kind of hardware should i expect?
    What are the differences in bursts?
    What companies would be best?

Now i have been poking around the forums and reading the offers and reviews on some of the hosts. But i just dont feel that i would know whether i am getting a good deal or not one way or the other. I appreciate everyones assistance ahead of time, and if this has been brought up before i apologize im not trying to repost old info.

Menttal,

What would i expect to ask of potential hosts?

You should ask them what type of support they're willing to provide - some hosts are willing to go out of their way to support novices. Others will provide support as long as the novice is willing to also search, hunt on their own but still needs guidance. Others won't touch the VPS with a 10 foot pole.

What support should i expect?

Don't expect any - contact the host ahead of time and ask them what *they* will provide you. Again - some will go out of their way to help a novice, others - don't expect anything except for "networks good, your softwares broken fix it on your own"

What price range would i be looking at?

Above 30 per month

What software would i need to bring to the table?

You'll need a copy of putty (if you're a windows user) to access your VPS via SSH. You should get your library card ready - you'll need it.

What things do you as a host assume that the customer already knows?

I would hope most hosts don't make assumptions about that - it would be beyond silly to expect everyone to have the same technical knowledge as the next person.

What computer knowledge would i need?

You don't necessarily need a whole lot of knowledge - but you will need to *strive* to learn, or at least be willing to pick up a book and just start going at it. a lot can be learned from your peers (look around).

What kind of hardware should i expect?

Only expect the best! Minimum dual xeon, SATA or SCSI preferably.

What are the differences in bursts?

The more you can burst - the better, are there really multiple types?

What companies would be best?

There are quite a few providers - mainly powervps and servint
    Just research any of them ahead of time - as you'll be needing their support (and most likely quite a bit of handholding along the way).

Let me know if this helps a bit!
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

I know this is off topic but I was wondering where the closest data center is to detroit, michigan.

www.liquidweb.com is in Lansing, Michigan. They also provide a fully managed VPS and are quite reputable.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Seems like LiquidWeb, PowerVPS, and Servint always take the lead. I would be intersted to see a shootout/poll between the 3!

Based on what you're looking for I would highly recommend you look at www.vpscolo.com

I have been with them a year, and still don't know a lot about running a server. Also, they have a plan with almost the exact specs you're looking for. As far as prices go I don't think you'll find much better.

I'd expect to pay in the $40-50 range for a quality VPS. For your needs, I'd recommend the PowerVPS cPanel plan which is $44.50/month.
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Including an RSS feed that you can syndicate!
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Unlimited vs. Unmetered bandwidth