PowWeb does provide 150 GB of bandwith a month

PowWeb does provide 150GB of bandwith per month, I know that because people who have MP3 files on their websites use close to 5GB of bandwith per day.
    I just wonder, how can PowWeb provide that much bandwith for as low as $7.77/month (actually, it's less than $7.77/month when you catch a deal 1 year + 6 months free + 1 year free domain).

Other hosts are very stingy about the bandwith, but not the PowWeb.

I wonder, how can they offer so much bandwith for so little money?

Well either they have a "unmetered" server which allows them to give out unlimited transfer or they just mearly have a lot of transfer at their disposal....

This seems to be strange. Offering 150GB bandwidth for $7.77 is really very amazing. It is for sure that they are having an unmetered server which is allowing the inlimited bandwidth to the clients.

They can do it because Because only 1 out of 100 or more use their monthly bandwidth allowances. They would be in major trouble if everyone used their capacity.
    Ovica.com : Web Hosting Is What We Do!

Originally posted by Professor
    They can do it because Because only 1 out of 100 or more use their monthly bandwidth allowances. They would be in major trouble if everyone used their capacity.
    Not everyone uses 5GB a day, but still - they allow you to waste 5GB of bandwith daily, as long as you don't make more than 32,500 requests per hour. So, basicly, if you have a radio station, you can let 32,500 people listen to your radio worry free.

I could tell you a joke about UDP. But I'm not sure you would get it!

powweb give 5GB/day, if you made 5.01 they will close your account, check terms page.

Re: PowWeb does provide 150 GB of bandwith a month

Originally posted by belldoe
    . . . I just wonder, how can PowWeb provide that much bandwith for as low as $7.77/month (actually, it's less than $7.77/month when you catch a deal 1 year + 6 months free + 1 year free domain).
    It's called massive overselling, and they're a larger host, with economies of scaled server/network infrastructure etc, so they can push things more than most smaller hosts.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

They set everything up from the start themselves, they use clustered severs for all features.

Mail, SQL and HTTP are all on separate server clusters and their TOS states if you use more than the daily allowance then they will shut you down. No negotiation whatsoever.

They run on the principal that less than 10% of customers will use the allocated resorces and in most cases it works for them, occasionally things break and when they do well what to you expect for $7.77 a month!

Customers come and customers go but when you offer the world for $7.77 and it works most of the time some people are happy.
    Ron Rogers
    Need SSL Certificates? WEBYSSL.com (rapidssl.com International Affiliate)
    Put Your Mark on the WWWorld with WEBY Systems

Originally posted by 2Mhost
    powweb give 5GB/day, if you made 5.01 they will close your account, check terms page.
    Perhaps you might want to read it too. That's not what it says. It says if you exceed the 5 GB limit more than 3 times in a 30 day period they will cancel your account. Three times in a one month period is pretty generous in my estimation.

That doesn't really answer the question anyway. Others have noted correctly that most never use the bandwidth they're allowed.
    Last edited by DevilDog; 04-15-2005 at 08:58 AM.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

They have also been advertising $7.77 for many years and I was nearly tempted (way back then), until I saw it advertised no matter where I went They appear to add extra space and bandwidth (for the same $7.77) to keep up with the Joneses.