* Hurt tired and perplexed

Hi guys,
    decided lookin for a webhost for my new site today. I sat at my PC around 11 am and its 6 am(next day) now and I still havent made any ground. In all this time every time i found a promising webhost....the next moment I found problems with it when I googled....I even got seduced by Hostexcellence.com and almost ended up subscribing with them when I found u guys and some other very scandalous info . I obviously backed out.....carried on with my search, which by now had turned from a host searching to kinda soul searching....anyways ...now I have decided to end my search and seek ur advice...
    I do have a lil idea abt the features that webhosts provide and their importance and I was able to shortlist a few based on reviews(independent and biased) and my requirements....but the point where I am now is I am confused.... i dunno which one to go for among these....

My requirements are(approx.) -
    500MB
    10GB
    3-5 MySQL
    $8 p.mo.
    Peace of mind

SHORT LISTED-(not in any particular order)

order.1and1.com
    lunarpages.com
    hostnexus.com
    hostgator.com
    hagenhosting.com
    apollohosting.com
    totalchoicehosting.com
    enhancedhost.com
    dreamhost.com
    speedfox.com
    westhost.com
    websitesource.com

I have used the HOST Quote form but havent recvd any replies yet. I also checked out Fluidhosting.com and Pair.com but their pricing was a lil high for me ...i guess they r pretty solid though. Besides the webhosts I mentioned here if u have any suggestions ...plz lemme know.

Guys I know this kinda topic pops up in these forums every now and then and kinda gets jaded...but plz help me out ....i am seriously in need of some advice....

Thanx a lot.

Hia,

I think all webhosts have problems, some have more than others, looking at your list i would choose hostgator.
    Looking at the features you want to have and the budget you have to deal with, i think it will be piece of cake for you to find a good hoster.

Your needs are pretty easily met by most companies around here. The best thing would be to research the company using the "SEARCH" feature at WHT. You will find lots of reviews that will help you shorten down your list. HG (hostgator.com) does have a few bad reviews here now, but that is natural as they are growing pretty big. I would say that the majority of their customers are happy.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Well congrats and I have to say I'm proud that you are doing your research - that's always an important aspect of finding the right host. I'm going to assume that you've already done searches on all of the above hosts on the forum. If you haven't go ahead and do it.

My best advice if you're happy with these hosts is to start looking for what you really need. Try to narrow your list down based on a list of features and resources you're looking for. If a host has something you need or offers a bunch more space for a higher price, then don't go for it. Reasonable prices are important but it's not a good idea to focus soley on prices as I'm sure you've figured out.

My last recommendation is to perhaps try and contact the hosts that make the cut. Ask their support a few questions and get a feel for their services. Browse the forums and such (if they have them) to see how they respond.

Hope that helps you out a bit.

You could add 10for10.com and sonataweb.net to your list.

Re: Hurt tired and perplexed

...I even got seduced by Hostexcellence.com and almost ended up subscribing with them when I found u guys and some other very scandalous info
    I did a search on this forum and do not know what scandalous info you speak of. Just so you know, Host Excellence is owned by eCommerce - same company that owns ixWebHosting and before that ran FeaturePrice. They're not a fly by night company. I hosted with them for a number of years and thought they were pretty decent. The only negative I've read about them is that people are "scared" that they offer "unlimited storage" which everyone recognizes as a marketing ploy anyhow. I can tell you that I had such an account for 3 years with ixWebHosting and never had a problem storing several gigabytes of audio and video on the server (bandwidth limits notwithstanding). Were they the best web host in the universe? No. Would I consider them scandalous? No.

I don't want to pick a fight with anyone here on the forum and my point is not to get into a debate about the relative merit of Host Excellence but the only "scandalous" thing I found was folks intimating that perhaps they would try to secretly cancel you if you ever tried to take them up on the unlimited bandwidth thing. I guess I just feel the need to defend because I always felt they dealt very squarely with me.

But what do I know? I'm just a jarhead.
    Rich
    Husband, Father, Retired Marine, Geek

Re: Re: Hurt tired and perplexed

Originally posted by DevilDog
    I did a search on this forum and do not know what scandalous info you speak of....
    Hey DevilDog.... man I am not against Hostexcellence...what I wrote here is what I found thru searches .....
    when I came to WHT i found this link thru some thread I am unable to locate but sure its on WHT -
    featureprice-scam.com/fathi.html

After reading all that even if they r a legitimate and stable business dont think anyone wud opt for them .....I just moved on cuz there is a slew of webhosts to choose from .....
    i am glad to know that ur accounts worked great with them .....and I hope they keep doin so....
    I am an absolute noob....and this will be my first hosting...and I am not wanting to pick a fight either... ...just lookin for some honest inputs...
    Anywyas thanx for ur views ....
    Cheers

I had a breif stint with host excellence, and i have nothing bad to say about them> their live chat and support was excellent. While i wasnt a fan of their Control panel, they did answer all my questions and were very up front with me about my needs and if they could fill it. I also spoke with techs and CS reps on the phone and they were all knowledgeable and helpful. Ive heard good things about them and when i did my search i read good things. Personally i would have loved to had stayed with them, but the needs and packages didnt fit.

I stated in another thread about TOtal Choice Hosting, i was with them for 9 months til april 1st. While my business relationship with them ended a little less agreeable then i had wanted it to. I can say that in the 9 months i was there i didnt have latency, or downtime issues. The majority of teh staff was active and responsive and helpful. Their prices are low and fair for their packages. My friend swears by them even though he has been with me through all our issues. I think at teh level of hosting your looking at it wouldnt hurt.

I hear alot of good about lunar pages i mean everyone swears by them that i have met. Westhost...well i had a breif stint with them and they are not all what they are cracked up to be. They mislead a little in their features and space. For example they state they will give you liek 5 gigs bandwidth, but they dont tell you that you have to install all your cgi and sscripts and stuff post setup, which takes a good chunk out of your disk space. Other then that i felt it a little weird that when i asked to cancel in the 30 day window they didnt even attempt to retain me as a customer. But their support was responsive ill give them that.

Re: Re: Hurt tired and perplexed

I did a search on this forum and do not know what scandalous info you speak of. Just so you know, Host Excellence is owned by eCommerce - same company that owns ixWebHosting and before that ran FeaturePrice. They're not a fly by night company. I hosted with them for a number of years and thought they were pretty decent. The only negative I've read about them is that people are "scared" that they offer "unlimited storage" which everyone recognizes as a marketing ploy anyhow. I can tell you that I had such an account for 3 years with ixWebHosting and never had a problem storing several gigabytes of audio and video on the server (bandwidth limits notwithstanding). Were they the best web host in the universe? No. Would I consider them scandalous? No.

I don't want to pick a fight with anyone here on the forum and my point is not to get into a debate about the relative merit of Host Excellence but the only "scandalous" thing I found was folks intimating that perhaps they would try to secretly cancel you if you ever tried to take them up on the unlimited bandwidth thing. I guess I just feel the need to defend because I always felt they dealt very squarely with me.

But what do I know? I'm just a jarhead.

If you didn't find anything scandalous then you were not looking.

FeaturePrice/ixWebHosting have one of the worst reputations in the history of web hosting. Look a little deeper.

Wow! The worst reputation in the history of web hosting. Well if that's the case then I need to modify my perception of how I felt as a customer when I was hosting sites through them. Had I known I was dealing with the company with one of the worst reputations in the history of web hosting I might have known that my satisfaction with their service was a mere illusion.

Could you please post a list of the 10 worst web hosting companies in the history of web hosting for the benefit of this community?

Frankly, it's statements like that which make some critiques' credibility questionable.
    Rich

For some reason you are promoting this host in many threads on this forum.
    Perhaps you have a personal stake in it?
    Maybe because you make money from them on your own site?

If you had good service with these guys then congratulations but one story of good service does not erase the fact that their reputation is a complete embarrasement.

Originally posted by blue27
    For some reason you are promoting this host in many threads on this forum.
    Perhaps you have a personal stake in it?

If you had good service with these guys then congratulations but one story of good service does not erase the fact that their reputation is a complete embarrasement.
    Check my bio on my web page if you want to find out what I do for a living.

I just don't like vitriol. I think too many posts are filled with hyperbole and emotionally charged statements that have little contact with metrics or meaningful criteria. Constructive criticism is useful and I like that.

Perhaps it's because I've talked to the owner of Ecommerce before and he's a geniunely nice and helpful guy. Does he have the best web hosting company in the world? No. Are there other companies with more reliable service or better features? Yes. Is their service better than some companies that charge much more? In many cases, yes. Host Excellence came up several times so I defended them because I have personal experinece with their service.

Perhaps you can learn to be constructive without resorting to hyperbole and it would make your comments useful to actually provide data and points of comparison. I would actually be interested in the information but not in bare cynicism.
    Last edited by DevilDog; 04-15-2005 at 09:51 AM.
    Rich

Thanks. Good info.

BTW, I went through the problems in FeaturePrice. The two owners ended up parting ways and the company was bought by another web host. Service had been good up to that point and then it tanked. I only found out later the reason why.

I moved over to ix Web Hosting and did experience some outages. Not as many problems as others note in the threads provided and they did improve things after they got some newer equipment online. Companies grow in reliabilty and even the best take hits. I thought it was funny how one guy went from HostGator to ix for reliability problems. Some folks around here are major HostGator devotees and that's great but it just goes to show you that everybody has problems.

I didn't want to turn this thing into a string listing the benefits of eCommerce. Like I said before they have their strengths and weaknesses. Thanks for providing good data. It helps everyone.
    Rich

I dont' want to start a new thread for a question which could be answered in one reply. It is related to Featureprice, my first host when I was a newbie.

My websites are in ASP, I signed up for a Linux 14$/month plan with them for a year. Within one week, when I have uploaded the asp files, did I realise it won't work.

I asked for a refund, they refused because, as they said, it wasn't their fault on their part. I didn't knew the existance of WHT two years back, nowhere to turn to, so I accepted their decision.

Were they right?

Thanks for providing good data. It helps everyone.
    Just for the record, all of those links pertain to FeaturePrice and IXWebHosting and not specifically to Hostexcellence.com

World Peace..!

Guys Guys..! TRUCE!
    lets not fight over Host Excellence or featureprice shall we...remember me...noob....wanting to find a webhost .....rings any bells...

Thanx for the responses folks.....I am glad i came to WHT....
    Few have asked me what kind of hosting I am looking for ...well Linux preferrably....even windows is fine.....but most important is I dont want to be heckled by poor sevice, huge downtimes and meagre speeds. My site wont be an active forum or ecommerece site but prospective employers, friends and admirers would be coming over to take a look at my work i display on it.....and from time to time I will get some good amount of hits from forums all over the net. So all in all very simple requirements though the only thing I wish for is a stable service...

I have been able to narrow down my choices further-

lunarpages.com
    hostnexus.com
    hostgator.com
    speedfox.com
    websitesource.com

What do you think?...
    Lets see where I go from here.......

Re: World Peace..!

Originally posted by marvin78
    Guys Guys..! TRUCE!
    lets not fight over Host Excellence or featureprice shall we...remember me...noob....wanting to find a webhost .....rings any bells...

lunarpages.com
    hostnexus.com
    hostgator.com
    speedfox.com
    websitesource.com

What do you think?...
    Lets see where I go from here.......
    I think any would work fine. Have you thought about HostExcellence as an option.

I think you can talk yourself out of any of them but you'll be happy with any of the above (and you probably would be happy with midphase, site5, ipowerweb, powweb too.
    Rich

After much deliberation decided to go with Hostgator. Actually i was keen on Lunarpages and Hostnexus as well....All 3 looked equally promising to me....the only reason I didnt choose them is Lunar doesnt provide more than 1 MySQL and Hostnexus' diskspace and b/w might get me a lil hard pressed(I am only talkin abt the basic/starter plans for all the 3 hosts) ....
    Anyways Hostgator is what I have chosen........thanx everyone for tuning in ...will be posting how my hosting adventure turns out....
    Cheers...

Very happy to see we made your final 3. Hostgator and Lunarpages are excellent hosts and to be in a tip-off with those providers makes me proud.
    Laurence Flynn @ HostNEXUS.com
    Managed WordPress Hosting Solutions
    Focused on speed. Obsessed with security.