* Possible Indentity Theft?

Concerning: AquaTech Hosting (www.aqua-hosting.com) / What I am reporting today is a possible multi-victim identity theft and internet fraud scheme. In the past two weeks, we have received four very suspicious orders from three 'different' people. The first thing that struck me as interesting was the fact that the passwords are all the same. I went on to investigate further and found that all three alleged people actually exist. Two of them tried signing up by credit card, and our billing system was not set up to process them, so the people did not get charged. The first of the two domains were different; one of them was set up instantly along with his domian. Conversely, we did set up the other domain hosting right away, but did not register the domain as it was for ten years (which caught me off guard because the hosting was only for 3 months). To make this experience even more interesting, this person tried to register the domain again with a new hosting account under a different person's name (using PayPal), yet she still has the same IP address.

Now these three orders are all under 3 different names. All the names are real and are entirely different sides of the country. Also they all signed up with the same password along with same domain in two of them. I understand we may be over reacting but lastly, all of these purchases were made from the SAME IP locating to the Netherlands! Does this seem a bit fishy to anyone besides me?

Sounds quite suspicious if you ask me. Obviously, I wouldn't do business with them at all (which you haven't) and I'd keep it that way. I'd report the situation because this does indeed sound like fraud.

Fraud attemtps. Delete the accounts, ban the IP.

Thanks for those quick replys. We'll the phone numbers of the 'clients' are real and I may decide to give them a call before I do infact report it.

Well I called the three "clients" and there reaction was .."AquaTech Hosting Who?" "What?". All three of them confirmed it was indeed fraud (they were all extremely thankful). I have never had this problem before. I am going to report it to the feds, has anyone had experience this and would know what might happen next?

Good Job calling the CC owner.. They can now call their CC company and cancel the card and keep them from having to file charge backs on someone else later. We started doing this a long while back which most people are very grateful that we have called them (Even though they are extremely confused).

Good catch and thanks for posting!!

Robert
    Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

My guess is there using warez tools. Sounds like they got busted though.

Originally posted by gtstunt89
    Well I called the three "clients" and there reaction was .."AquaTech Hosting Who?" "What?". All three of them confirmed it was indeed fraud (they were all extremely thankful). I have never had this problem before. I am going to report it to the feds, has anyone had experience this and would know what might happen next?
    Yes, I have had the same type thing many times. I don't know where they get the information, but they often have the correct address and phone number. Sometimes from different IPs, and sometimes from the same.

It happens all the time for us. What I suggest to all web hosts, is not to automate account creation, even when your credit card processing company tells you that all is ok with the transaction.

Especially if you are using WorldPay, which I recommend that you avoid at all costs, you will end up paying big money for chargebacks. We are getting 4-10 fraudulent signups on a daily basis and it is why only when an order is authorised by someone knowledgeable an account can be created.

Also it is worth noting that if the fraudster has ordered a domain name, you will loose that money too AND pay the chargeback fees. Try to get in contact with the customer and always beware of @hotmail, @yahoo, etc. email addresses.

thanks

Thanks for the great information.