Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 46
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    13,277

    Exclamation Music Downloaders Beware; Especially Students

    (Rochester, NY) 04/13/05 -- The Recording Industry Association of America is suing hundreds of students in 18 colleges nationwide including 25 from the Rochester Institute of Technology, for illegally downloading music files.

    If recording industry wins the copyright lawsuit, those who illegally shared files could end up owing a minimum of $750 a song.


    Full Article

    The RIAA is just pissed because they cant get thier hands on more people,so they are whining and trying to extract the MOST $$$ from 1 person (Or in this case,this school)

    If people only knew that the RIAA was violating PEOPLE'S RIGHTS by illegially "hacking" into thier computers to get this info,THEY COULD GET OUT OF THE LAWSUIT!!!!!!

    The RIAA IS COMMITING ILLEGIAL ACTS JUST TO OBTAIN THIS CRAP....THEY ARENT DOING IT LEGALLY..... (People need to start seeing that this is the case and tell them to go back to metallica and ... (Well,i wont say it on THIS BASE ))

    Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,345
    I take it you are a downloader yourself then
    Seeksadmin.com Owner: Providing Security, Administration and Optimization since 2001

    Now Offering Windows Serivces.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    5,177
    If people can't afford the music, don't steal it! Do these same kids shoplift CDs in stores, too? Doubtful. Somehow this new method of theft is justifiable. With single songs costing under a buck now I just don't see the reason why people do this then whine whenever they get busted.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    9,852
    Do you have some sort of proof that RIAA is doing something illegal?

    If you do why don't you contact the FBI.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Posts
    75
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/04...ternet2_users/

    Quote Originally Posted by Cary Sherman, RIAA president
    "We cannot let this high-speed network become a zone of lawlessness where the normal rules don't apply,"
    These are better then Dan Quayle quotes

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,342
    Thanks God I don't download them online.... Only if it wasnt for those chinese guys in chinatown.... maybe I would've been sued too...

    * For those comparing personal theft from the store to that online, its two completely different things... In one case someone is losing (shop owner)..

    Peace,
    Testing 1.. Testing 1..2.. Testing 1..2..3...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Reading, England
    Posts
    4,243
    In one case someone is losing (shop owner)..
    So you're saying downloading it online no one is losing?
    Steve

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,345
    I agree downloading is as bad as stealing. But some people argue its "sharing"... i have to say that the RIAA shouldnt go so hard at getting money... and that being the reason for it. Because they have enough as it is. They should however stop it somehow.
    Seeksadmin.com Owner: Providing Security, Administration and Optimization since 2001

    Now Offering Windows Serivces.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    729
    The funny thing is that bands really don't make that much money from cd sales, most of their income is generated from concerts and tours... Which makes me laugh because the RIAA isn't fining people to help the bands, they are doing it to help themselves, they are just greedy thats all. More people are buying cd's these days or using things like Itunes to buy music then are downloading anyway (Statisitcally speaking). I just don't see what the big deal is... Then again I perfer opensource anyway... but it's hard to find open source music =p, personally when I used to download music it was only to see if it was worth buying the cd.
    Who is General Fault, and why is he reading my disk?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    5,177
    Originally posted by Vortex-Steve
    So you're saying downloading it online no one is losing?
    There is no end to how people justify stealing. My favorite is still "the company makes too much money/they can afford to give me this." Commonly used when referring to Microsoft and music companies. Apparently there is a point where you can make too much money and you're supposed to start working for free or something.

    When music sharing first started the excuse was "I only want one or two songs and I can't afford a CD." Then the music companies -- after an extended period admittedly -- made legal methods to purchase just the songs you wanted. The price is more or less the cost of a CD divided by the number of songs. But that doesn't seem to stop some people that think this is an anonymous, victimless crime. Sure, a few millionaires (including your beloved musicians) are making a little less money. But so is every other employee connected to the music label and artist.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,345
    thats why amazon lets you listen before you buy
    Seeksadmin.com Owner: Providing Security, Administration and Optimization since 2001

    Now Offering Windows Serivces.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    San Diego, California
    Posts
    788
    How are they 'hacking' is what I would like to know, I dont think they are doing anything illegal at all, If you know something the goverment doesnt, contact authoritys.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,014
    Are there any online places for UK citizens to buy mp3s? I've looked and looked and looked, and haven't found anyone selling a large range of music, in .mp3 files. I don't want Microsoft-specific files. I don't want files that I have to listen to in that company's program. I want more freedom with these files; I want to be able to burn the mp3s I buy more easily. I want to be able to listen to MP3 files in Winamp. Winamp has an addon called DFX, and for .mp3 files, it greatly increases the quality of the sound.

    It's time for some allocative efficiency in the online music market.
    <?php include_once('signature'); ?>

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    2,585
    I think the problem is.... how some things you are able to view/share for free.. and other things you can't..

    Rent a book from a library - legal
    Download a song from Kazaa - illegal
    Copy a movie from a friend on VHS - legal
    Record a show on t.v - legal
    Record a live concert - legal
    .. heck even sell a bootleg - legal (See 2002 N.Y case...)

    It confuses people how somethings are fine.. and others aren't..
    www.JGRoboMarketing.com / We Filter out the Bad Leads and Send you the Good ones!
    █ Office: (800) 959-0182 / Automated Lead Funnel Service

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    1,203
    Originally posted by RealtorHost
    I think the problem is.... how some things you are able to view/share for free.. and other things you can't..

    Rent a book from a library - legal
    Download a song from Kazaa - illegal
    Copy a movie from a friend on VHS - legal
    Record a show on t.v - legal
    Record a live concert - legal
    .. heck even sell a bootleg - legal (See 2002 N.Y case...)

    It confuses people how somethings are fine.. and others aren't..
    I wonder if "copying a CD from a friend" would be considered legal or illegal then. (see the VHS example)
    Automated Tendencies - Brand Management Agency from Baltimore, Maryland.
    Reputation Management • Search Engine Optimization • Pay Per Click • Email Marketing

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Reading, England
    Posts
    4,243
    UK Music Downloads

    http://www.hmv.co.uk
    http://mycokemusic.co.uk/
    http://www.apple.com/itunes/
    http://www.napster.co.uk/
    http://www.virgin.net/music/digitaldownloads/
    http://www.tescodownloads.com/

    Don't think any use MP3 though, WMA seems to be a popular one. I guess it's all down to digitals rights to stop people sharing the downloads.
    Steve

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,014
    Originally posted by Vortex-Steve
    UK Music Downloads

    http://www.hmv.co.uk
    http://mycokemusic.co.uk/
    http://www.apple.com/itunes/
    http://www.napster.co.uk/
    http://www.virgin.net/music/digitaldownloads/
    http://www.tescodownloads.com/

    Don't think any use MP3 though, WMA seems to be a popular one. I guess it's all down to digitals rights to stop people sharing the downloads.
    Which of those allow me to store my music files externally? I don't like the idea of storing music files somewhere where I can't move them around. I like to be in control of my music

    Also, which of those can I listen to my music in winamp?
    <?php include_once('signature'); ?>

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    9,852
    Originally posted by RealtorHost
    I think the problem is.... how some things you are able to view/share for free.. and other things you can't..

    Rent a book from a library - legal
    Download a song from Kazaa - illegal
    Copy a movie from a friend on VHS - legal
    Record a show on t.v - legal
    Record a live concert - legal
    .. heck even sell a bootleg - legal (See 2002 N.Y case...)

    It confuses people how somethings are fine.. and others aren't..

    You better read up on your copyright laws if your really think it's legal to copy tv shows, record live concerts or copy a friends movie.

    You can copy some things for personal use. You cannot copy them to distribute for free or for profit.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    2,130
    Yep, the authorities are starting to crack down on illegal file downloaders. It's basically impossible to stop it all together (without serriously limiting functionality of internet protocols) but i'm sure downloads will decrease. (!Slightly!)

    There was a case over here in the UK, i think two students were fined over 20k. Nasteeeeyyyyyyy.....
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius

  20. #20
    Pirates unite!!

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    2,585
    Originally posted by blue27
    You better read up on your copyright laws if your really think it's legal to copy tv shows, record live concerts or copy a friends movie.

    You can copy some things for personal use. You cannot copy them to distribute for free or for profit.

    Welp blue27.. then i'd guess more than 50,000,000 people are doing things illegally.. as a *TON* of people do this daily...

    For copying movies from television.. its illegal to "sell" them.. its not illegal to give people copies.. you need to read your copyright laws
    www.JGRoboMarketing.com / We Filter out the Bad Leads and Send you the Good ones!
    █ Office: (800) 959-0182 / Automated Lead Funnel Service

  22. #22
    I highly recomend

    www.allofmp3.ru

    (click english at the top left)

    its the russian version of itunes, and lets you LEGALLY download most songs for about $2 a album, you can also choose the exact quality and what format you want it in etc and it encodes it for you online. you can also pay with paypal etc
    Sally O'neil

  23. #23
    Newsgroups + private ftp's = good idea. I buy about half my music (meaning greatest hits cd's) and the other half i download (one-hit wonders). Works out better that way.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    333
    Originally posted by EngineGroup
    I highly recomend

    www.allofmp3.ru

    (click english at the top left)

    its the russian version of itunes, and lets you LEGALLY download most songs for about $2 a album, you can also choose the exact quality and what format you want it in etc and it encodes it for you online. you can also pay with paypal etc
    Not so fast Charlie Brown. If you think allofmp3 is "legal" and totally above board, then I've got some ocean front property in Iowa I'd love to show you...

    Try http://news.com.com/MP3s+for+pennies...3-5586034.html

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Jackson, MI
    Posts
    1,526
    I pay for my music at Itunes, but some artists(and labels maybe) do not allow there music to be sold there.

    If I want a song that I cannot buy at iTunes, then I download it on winmx.

    I figure if the big headed music industry cannot figure it out, screw em.

    Oh btw, stealing is stealing, online or offline, but there is one difference online. If I steal a song online, a shop owner does not inccur the cost of missing merchandise. The music company does not lose money, because it was something they never had to begin with (my purchase that is).

    Like I said, I try to keep all my music legal, but I can only do so IF the music industry cooperates.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Jackson, MI
    Posts
    1,526
    Originally posted by RealtorHost
    Welp blue27.. then i'd guess more than 50,000,000 people are doing things illegally.. as a *TON* of people do this daily...

    For copying movies from television.. its illegal to "sell" them.. its not illegal to give people copies.. you need to read your copyright laws
    It is only legal to copy movies from television for YOUR PERSONAL USE.
    Maybe you should read your copyright laws before YOU tell other people to do the same.

    The world if full of know it alls.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Posts
    75
    Originally posted by 0utlier
    Not so fast Charlie Brown. If you think allofmp3 is "legal" and totally above board, then I've got some ocean front property in Iowa I'd love to show you...

    Try http://news.com.com/MP3s+for+pennies...3-5586034.html
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/03...3-com_let_off/

    allofmp3.com/allofmp3.ru is legal technically, due to a loophole in Russian Law.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Eaglehawk, Victoria,Australia
    Posts
    5,023
    If it is actually wrong and they have obtained the evidence legally then shouldn't it be the schools that are fined. It is the schools that own the equipment and it is the school who has to take the responsability. How would they be able to prove exactly which students it was anyway.

    For all of those people saying that it is hurting people there is one or two things you need to take into account.

    1. Artist are not losing money as they hardly get any of the money anyway, it's the executives that think they (the exec) are loosing.

    2. Instead of persecuting people for using the latest technology they should be embracing it and learning how to profit from it not try to destroy it.

    3. The're is absolutely no way that you can say if x amount of songs are downloaded then that is the number of songs not brought from a store, that is utter rubbish.

    4. It is a proven fact that sharing songs actually helps the artist.

    5. It is far cheaper for an artist to have his songs on the internet than it is for that artist to try and get all the DJ's around the country to play them on the radio station.

    Personally I think most of the songs on the Internet are modern head banging rubbish but obviously many like that sort of thing. I like Old Rock and Roll and Australian country although most of the artist I listen to have passed away.

    Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    Need help? just ask The Doctor
    House calls a specialty
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy ?

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    62
    If the artist wants to distribute their music online, they are free to do so. Some already do. Some don't. The ones who don't still have a legal right to expect that their music will not be "shared" against their wishes.

    Sure, the RIAA has tactics like a bull in a china shop and I personally feel no love for them. And sure, big fat cat record companies make most of the money anyway. But it still ain't right to take a copy of something that someone is selling, just because you don't want to pay for it.

    Look—we're webmasters here, most of us. A lot of us create unique content on our websites. We maybe write articles, design web graphics, that sort of thing. Do we want people just swiping our stuff and telling us that we're "greedy" if we don't want to allow that? Do we want people swiping our stuff and telling us that they're helping us out somehow, even though they aren't paying us or compensating us in any way? Shouldn't the performing artist get to have a say over how their work is distrubuted or "shared"? I know that we can't total control how people use our work (that's just the nature of the Internet), but I sure don't want all our rights taken away—do you? I would hope not.

    If we want our copyrights respected, it's a good idea to try to respect the copyrights of others.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Eaglehawk, Victoria,Australia
    Posts
    5,023
    Originally posted by sweeney3296
    If the artist wants to distribute their music online, they are free to do so. Some already do. Some don't. The ones who don't still have a legal right to expect that their music will not be "shared" against their wishes.

    Sure, the RIAA has tactics like a bull in a china shop and I personally feel no love for them. And sure, big fat cat record companies make most of the money anyway. But it still ain't right to take a copy of something that someone is selling, just because you don't want to pay for it.

    Look—we're webmasters here, most of us. A lot of us create unique content on our websites. We maybe write articles, design web graphics, that sort of thing. Do we want people just swiping our stuff and telling us that we're "greedy" if we don't want to allow that? Do we want people swiping our stuff and telling us that they're helping us out somehow, even though they aren't paying us or compensating us in any way? Shouldn't the performing artist get to have a say over how their work is distrubuted or "shared"? I know that we can't total control how people use our work (that's just the nature of the Internet), but I sure don't want all our rights taken away—do you? I would hope not.

    If we want our copyrights respected, it's a good idea to try to respect the copyrights of others.
    Yes your correct. The Performing Artists should get to have their say. I personal would welcome the oppurtinity to hear from them individually or collectively. However we aren't afforded that oppurtunity we only ever get to her from "the fat cats" with their highly creative figures.

    Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    Need help? just ask The Doctor
    House calls a specialty
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy ?

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    62
    Originally posted by TheDoctor
    However we aren't afforded that oppurtunity we only ever get to her from "the fat cats" with their highly creative figures.

    Doc
    The artists signed contracts with the "fat cats" and gave permission for the fat cats to speak for them and enforce the copyright. I think a lot of the artists have already spoken when they willingly align themselves with these fat cats.

    It's the nature of the business, I know, for the artist to sign with fat cats if they want to get anywhere. But the fact remains, that's how it is.

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    333
    Originally posted by TehBooster
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/03...3-com_let_off/

    allofmp3.com/allofmp3.ru is legal technically, due to a loophole in Russian Law.
    I've seen that. That is for Russians and their loophole. AllofMP3 is still not above board and is deemed illegal as far as the RIAA is concerned, loophole or not. AllofMP3 knows what they're doing is not legitimate. I'm just saying... With the reputation of the RIAA, if they ever got a list of Americans that used AllofMP3 I'm sure they would try and make some of the heavy users lives very difficult (if they could). I do not profess to knowing U.S. law concerning the acquisition of copyrighted material form another country, through a dubious company, working within a "loophole" in their law.

    I've used AllofMP3 so I'm not totally off the hook. If they want to sue me for downloading cheesy 80's metal (the stuff you can't find in stores any more) then they can be my guest.

    I will relent and agree that in Russia, according to their "loophole" it seems, AllofMP3 does not appear to be breaking current Russian laws. I, and most level headed folks, would agree AllofMP3 is certainly not above board though. How any of this translates to any U.S. laws being broken is beyond my knowledge. It would be nice if someone knew an attorney that did specialize in this type of law and could give a definitive answer. However, with many things in life, being legal and being right are many times at odds with one another.

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    2,585
    Originally posted by biovelocity
    It is only legal to copy movies from television for YOUR PERSONAL USE.
    Maybe you should read your copyright laws before YOU tell other people to do the same.

    The world if full of know it alls.

    A quote from a lawyer I just called on the phone:

    "The legal status of copying a televesion show to a VHS/CD/DVD is still unclear, but only because there is not yet a precident. In cases of people copying televsion shows then selling them for profit, yes this is illegal. But there are currently no general law to an indivisual copying a show to VHS as long as you keep the copyright in place"

    So.. Mr. Know-It-All
    Last edited by JRSEOMarketing; 04-18-2005 at 06:28 PM.
    www.JGRoboMarketing.com / We Filter out the Bad Leads and Send you the Good ones!
    █ Office: (800) 959-0182 / Automated Lead Funnel Service

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Eaglehawk, Victoria,Australia
    Posts
    5,023
    Originally posted by RealtorHost
    A quote from a lawyer I just called on the phone:

    "The legal status of copying a televesion show to a VHS/CD/DVD is still unclear, but only because there is not yet a precident. In cases of people copying televsion shows then selling them for profit, yes this is illegal. But there are currently no general law to an indivisual copying a show to VHS as long as you keep the copyright in place"

    So.. Mr. Know-It-All
    I see the Lawyer states that there is "not yet a precedents". I would interpret that as meaning no body has figured out how to detect this action and take it to court, and it probably isn't economically viable anyway.

    Even though there is millions and millions of video recorders around the world how would it look if they dragged some uni student into court on a charge of copying "Gilligans Isle" where as they can drag some poor individual into court as say he has destroyed the whole entertainment industry because he was caught downloading a Metallica song.

    Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    Need help? just ask The Doctor
    House calls a specialty
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy ?

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Under the sea
    Posts
    4,208
    Ahh, the comforts of living in Canada.

  36. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    2,585
    Originally posted by adam
    Ahh, the comforts of living in Canada.
    haha adam.. I hear they are a tad "lenient" to say the least..
    www.JGRoboMarketing.com / We Filter out the Bad Leads and Send you the Good ones!
    █ Office: (800) 959-0182 / Automated Lead Funnel Service

  37. #37
    This sucks big time for the school in t his case, I guess they will learn a lesson and not do it anymore. I personally have never downloaded a song or anything. All my cd's are either bought directly from store of lent to me by a good friend

  38. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,100
    Originally posted by CTG
    There is no end to how people justify stealing. My favorite is still "the company makes too much money/they can afford to give me this." Commonly used when referring to Microsoft and music companies. Apparently there is a point where you can make too much money and you're supposed to start working for free or something.

    When music sharing first started the excuse was "I only want one or two songs and I can't afford a CD." Then the music companies -- after an extended period admittedly -- made legal methods to purchase just the songs you wanted. The price is more or less the cost of a CD divided by the number of songs. But that doesn't seem to stop some people that think this is an anonymous, victimless crime. Sure, a few millionaires (including your beloved musicians) are making a little less money. But so is every other employee connected to the music label and artist.
    What about this excuse.

    For years, without knowing, I was paying extra money everytime I would buy any blank media. That money went directly to canadian version of RIAA. That money was for the mp3s I never dowloaded. Now when I know, it is time for me to get my "investment" back as free mp3s for life.

  39. #39
    So what exactly is illegal? Is it when you download ALOT of mp3's or can you still get fined or something like that just for downloading the odd song? Because i will admit i've downloaded the odd song.
    http://www.viperhosting.net
    ViperHosting 2005. The new generation "Excellence doesn't have to be expensive"

  40. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    NJ, USA
    Posts
    129
    To sum it up, I think the *vague* law is saying that it is legal to download songs (or any other copyrighted media), but it is illegal to share them/publish/use as your own work?

    That's what I am getting from this thread.
    remy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •