should i do that

if i want to be web host provieder , shoul i host my web site on my reseller or i should host it on another web host company ?

I know some who do and some who do not. It's personal choice really. Maybe having an emergency site on another host might be a good idea just incase your site and clients go down. Having an emergency site will help your clients be able to contact you still.
    -- Matthew

its not personal choice. It depends on how serious you are. The problem that you are going to run into is support. Most of the time support will come in when a service is down on a server. If you are sharing these same services as your clients, how are you going to be notified? That is unless you setup a mail server elsewhere.

I would advise running your main site, control panel, mail server, dns, etc. off of another server from your clients shared hosting server.
    [color=#666666]Ackoo Solutions, LLC

Originally posted by Ackoo

I would advise running your main site, control panel, mail server, dns, etc. off of another server from your clients shared hosting server.
    Very interesting point - and the true value statement of hosting with an H-Sphere provider. You can get a reseller account on an h-sphere cluster and gain many advantages...

Most importantly - all of your clients sites will not be down at the same time (as they will be spread across web servers) - also - if web is down, email will still be up, etc...

Anyway - you should make sure that you have an ability to communicate with your clients while their sites are down. You can either choose an environment that accomodates this, or have some sort of off network site to facilitate this...
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

I suggest you do host your own sites on another server (even another data center). Downtime can be managable if customers can contact you but if you are down and not able to be reached then you will definately loose customers.
    Gary Jones

BlueFur.com - Canada Web Hosting

You should host your website with your reseller

i would make a 2 sites one .net .comone on my own one on other server
    <<Please see rules for signature setup>>

I believe that having a second site on a whole different network is quite important. A simple working email address there would enable you to maintain contact with your customers and let them know what's going on, give them an ETA etc. and ultimately allow you to retain more customers even after a complete disaster.

Originally posted by ldcdc
    I believe that having a second site on a whole different network is quite important. A simple working email address there would enable you to maintain contact with your customers and let them know what's going on, give them an ETA etc. and ultimately allow you to retain more customers even after a complete disaster.
    I agree 100%. It's very important for customers to be able to access your site and email if their server is down.
    www.HowToSellHosting.com - How to start a hosting business (free download)!
    www.10-Free-Ebooks.com - Download 10 ebooks with resale rights

i was with the same problem but i think that i get the solution
    you must have onther account as a backup Host,

and i know that you may by want to host your site under your reseller !!

try to use a dynamic ip like zoneedit it is good for that cases
    whey you feel that you are down switch (just change to your backupHost IP ) and be with it till the problem finished

i do that myself

yeah that is a good idea...
    :: Unlimited Reseller Hosting :: Host UNLIMITED DOMAINS resell web hosting services at your own price and brand. Complete transparency in every aspect...
    Special Windows Reseller plans Now Available
    :: R-e-s-e-l-l-e-r-H-o-s-t-i-n-g-S-i-t-e-.c-o-m ::

WWW.RESELLERHOSTINGSITE.COM

Why not setup your main site on both places, the backup on one host and the ohter on the main host, then while you host your web site on your own service and people know you trust your own service, if something does go down it will forward automatically using backup name servers!

Just setup ns1 ns2.youdomain.com to your main hosting account with your web site there and then setup backup ns3 ns4.youdomain.com to the stand bye site on another server.

I do managed DNS, so I just looked at this and saw an instant solution
    Last edited by hostwolf123; 04-16-2005 at 02:47 PM.
    HostWolf
    Web Hosting Resource Community
    http://www.hostwolf.net | info@hostwolf.net

Why not setup an email address that is not on that server, and include the email address in the welcome email you sent to customers when they signup and tell them to use that email address to contact you whenever the server is down or if they can't get hold of you over the phone.

BeYourOwnWebHost has a point, something as simple as that would be affective as an emergancy contact, use your ISP's email or email to your pager or cell phone, my monitoring server alerts my phone when down and my ISP email when a server I watch goes down I know about it with in 5 minutes, yet my staff will know about it as it happens, lol, so I contact them and see whats up.
    HostWolf
    Web Hosting Resource Community
    http://www.hostwolf.net | info@hostwolf.net