Question does anyone have problem with Windows2003 SP1?

Win2003 SP1 is out for a while now...does anyone have problem with it? does it mess up Helm (if you use it) or any other windows control panel?

some feedback on Win2003 SP1 plz.

any service packs for windows 2003 screw up my applications, but my applications are custom developed and not like regular applications for purchase.

Re: does anyone have problem with Windows2003 SP1?

Originally posted by jt2377
    Win2003 SP1 is out for a while now...does anyone have problem with it? does it mess up Helm (if you use it) or any other windows control panel?

some feedback on Win2003 SP1 plz.
    I havent had any problems.

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

I have had various problems but only due to my desire to configure the server in ways windows does not like but none the less provides improvements.

I configured helm on a server for a customer a couple of months back and not had any support issues with it, he has 20 customers on there now and they seem happy.

No issues several servers. Redundant host, I am curious about what applications you would have problems with. I know they are custom and dont need details just curious if its an MDAC or Framework or what type of application that would screw up with simple updates.
    André Allen | E: aallen(a)linovus.ca
    Linovus Holdings Inc
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers & Public Cloud | USA, Canada & UK - 24x7x365 Support

I've heard one report of an admin in a mixed environment losing RDP/Term Services after installing SP1... haven't heard if he resolved the issue yet.

Originally posted by Sigmaservers
    No issues several servers. Redundant host, I am curious about what applications you would have problems with. I know they are custom and dont need details just curious if its an MDAC or Framework or what type of application that would screw up with simple updates.

In a test we did. Newest updates and service packs would like not allow more than I think 17 people on, when normally could be a thousand or more.

It affect my awstats program, other than that problems are minimal.

Applied this to 50+ boxes, only problem I've had so far being there wasn't enough disk space free to install it

Probably needs formatting and reinstalling as the machine in question is an NT4 > 2000 Server > Server 2003 migration, so it's pretty old.

IMO anything that doesn't work with it applied was probably insecure, hence it doesn't work anymore now SP1 has fixed the vulnerability.

I had no issue upgrading my Windows 2003 server running Plesk 7.5 for windows. I did expect some issues but it seemed ok afterwards.
    Fast Affordable Web Hosting
    www.vizhost.com
    Contact on AIM: DIALSOFT

For some reason it shuts down the active state service for .NET when installed - if you offer this to your clients you need to remember to restart and set to automatic after installing.

The new security wizard is pretty good, but again breaks the state server service even if you select for it to be on - seem they don't like that service.

We've upgrade half of our servers so far with only that problem, rest will be done over the weekend - all in all very well behaved.

All my servers updated, only slight prob with Awstats because server_name returns machine name instead of domain name, need a slight change. Otherwise I feel it is a much better OS now.

Im sure theres not many of tehm here, but if you run Small Bussiness server 2003, do not install sp1 for server 2003, as it can stop many things working. MS are realeasing a seperate sp1 for SBS.

Originally posted by sam_cogan
    Im sure theres not many of tehm here, but if you run Small Bussiness server 2003, do not install sp1 for server 2003, as it can stop many things working. MS are realeasing a seperate sp1 for SBS.
    Interesting, wouldn't have thought it would let you install it on SBS if it wasn't compatiable. Probably another rushed job by MS.

Famous last words - after my post above I did some more servers this evening and one of them got half way through :

"Installation has failed - reinstalling backup"
    (paraphrasing)

Whrrr, Whrrr

"Only some files have been installed Windows 2003 may not work" (paraphrasing)

And that's it - it justs sits there with "Windows 2003 may not work" and what the hell am I supposed to do now as this is a remote install in a datacentre 3000 miles away.

I made a guess that perhaps it was running out of disk space during the install as the C: drive only had 600MB or so free so moved a few things to D: and tried again. Thankfully it went through second time.

Make sure you have plenty of free diskspace before starting . . .

I've got 1.10GB free on drive C with one of mine, even after selecting to put the uninstall files on another partition, I still don't have enough disk space. The partition is 5GB and has nothing but plain Windows Server on it.

That 350MB or whatever it is certainly goes a long way...

Dan

OK we updated to SP1, one of our exe's no longer runs (login server). We had to re program it and now it works. So yes some things can and will be messed up

I have not used Helm but from what I read in their forums, it seems that there is no issue with Helm and Windows 2003 SP1.

http://forums.webhostautomation.com/...&highlight=sp1

In any case, you might want to do a complete system backup or at least backup the Helm related folders and System Registry before doing the backup. If it does not work for you, you could always restore.

On a standard Windows 2003 set up and on one with Ensim, it works fine without any issues.

Win 2003 with HELM installed only a couple of .NET sites lost premissons had to reset them other than that no problems.