* Free Web Hosting from Yahoo!

Yahoo has begun offering free web hosting. They announced it in a press release which you can view here:

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/...97&newsLang=en

What does this signal? Is it a trend or just a publicity stunt?
    Web Hosting Talk RULES!

It doesn't mean anything... I don't think the amount of space will matter to any businesses. Anyone serious about their business is willing to pay for a professional website and hosting.
    GenerousWebHosting.com Home of Generous George the Red Monster.
    24/7 Live Chat Support - 99.9% Uptime - 30 Day Money Back Policy

Perhaps this is only a "business card" type website.

With the launch of this new service, Yahoo! now enables these businesses to establish an online presence by providing a simple interface and template that allows them to create a site in minutes.
    -Lamar
    Going out of business in our 10th year.

This will actually bring more clients to the rest of the available hosts out there - the new users will begin to want more (other than the 'business card' with a nice healthy search engine tag) and start looking into other services.

Don't worry though by then google hosting will be out and we'll all be out of business.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Im sure the idea is to upgrade to the "enhanced" listing which is 9.95
    The freebie will also carry ads on the site.
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

Haven't Yahoo been giving away free webhosting for years already?

http://geocities.yahoo.com/

Originally posted by jsw
    Haven't Yahoo been giving away free webhosting for years already?

http://geocities.yahoo.com/
    Absolutely! This is not such a stretch for them.

Whats the diff between geocities free hosting and yahoo free hosting? Did they announce any specifics yet?

does this support php mysql etc ???

LT_Radio,

of course not - although I don't want to jump the gun I can almost guarantee it doesn't.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

We had someone locally call each of our clients and offered 1 year of free hosting if they move from our company. Specifically said our company name in the phone call. Acutally had the clients calling us asking us what was going on.

We lost about 10 clients but when looking back at who we lost it was good. The 10 clients were the type who's CC usually bounced, checks were always late and they had an abnormally high tech support call number.

As for the real clients our service quality value outwieghted a years worth of free hosting. Plus remember there are businesses out there that want to pay someone to do what they don't want to do. Lately I think there are people who undervalue the services they are supplying to businesses.
    Hosting and Web design.
    OnLineMedia, Inc.

Don't get me wrong, but hasn't yahoo always offer free hositng? geocities ring a bell? Nothing more professional than geocities website for your company. I can see it now
    http://webhostingtalk.geocitie.spam.me.please.com

Last edited by arxor; 04-14-2005 at 04:03 PM.

I doesn't particularly matter what you're selling, or giving away. It's in the marketing that counts the most. And I have to admit, Yahoo is pretty good at that. This is just another publicity move, and it's obviously working.

Yahoo is just well known for there games, email etc. But everyone with an half-sense, knows better. Yahoo isn't gonna be able to offer the same support we are. Specially not with free hosting, it won't happen.

That's your first mistake... I wouldn't exactly be too worried, but never, EVER, underestimate. Yahoo is a very large company, and they could give away entire servers for free if they really chose to. They'd have the money to put behind it and keep it afloat for quite some time.

But.. they won't do that, because there's no money in it. That would be like Microsoft giving away their XBox's. They already take a loss on each one they sell, in hopes of making up the difference and then some on all the extra junk that goes along with it. They could easily just give them away, but it's all about the numbers.

Yahoo's biggest selling point on this won't be that it's free, but rather that it's EASY. Sometimes no PHP, MySQL,etc etc IS better than having it, because it's less intimidating to a user with little to no PC experience.

You'd be surprised at the amount of people that couldn't even tell you what PHP, MySQL were, let alone what to do with it. Even still, these are the people that run businesses, and need websites. So you have to provide an approach that caters to them.

This is the reason I can still get 20/mo for 100MB of space, these people have minimal online interaction with me, if any at all. Sure, they know they're not getting the cheapest price, but in their mind, they're getting the best "deal", because they don't have to deal with it and know it's taken care of.

Well, this has definately turned into a long post, so I'll end it here for now.

Also, another thing I'd like to point out, is that you say Yahoo is best known for their games? I'd have to disagree with that. Unless you were speaking of the X-Generation and younger specifically. With their foray into Dial-up and DSL (ie. SBC Yahoo), and more recently their 3.99 domains (which is over now it seems, but sure beat the socks off of GoDaddy), Yahoo has been moving more and more towards offering business and residential services. They're not strictly a provider of "free games" and I'm sure that's not the image they're trying to portray.

Of course, I don't work for Yahoo's marketing department, so I can't say exactly what their motives are, but if you have a look at their main portal, the games are not even a prominent feature. It's simply another small thing that Yahoo offers as a whole. With that said, I suggest going to the local library and picking up a book or two on marketing techniques. They always make for an interesting read.

It says it can only be a 5 page website. I doubt they will put ads on the sites. They wont offer ftp or any of the good stuff; I would think it would be something like the old homestead.
    Eleven2 Web Hosting - World-Wide Hosting, Done Right!

Originally posted by SJRHosting.com
    It says it can only be a 5 page website. I doubt they will put ads on the sites. They wont offer ftp or any of the good stuff; I would think it would be something like the old homestead.
    A lot of people will go for it. Fortunately, there is plenty to go around.

-Lamar

Re: Free Web Hosting from Yahoo!

Originally posted by cpureview
    Yahoo has begun offering free web hosting. They announced it in a press release which you can view here:

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/...97&newsLang=en

What does this signal? Is it a trend or just a publicity stunt?
    It's only 5 page website + you need to pay to list your business in Yahoo! local.

Anyone serious about running their business online will continue to pay for professional web hosting. That's for sure!

PS: What can you bloody do with 5 page website? *lol* hahahaha

Lightbulb

It's really not an issue...

I wasn't able to tell if it's ad supported or not. If it has ads well its already no threat at all. It's just another marketing technique by the sales dept. to get people to list in Yahoo local business and eventually upgrade to enchanced hosting.
    GenerousWebHosting.com Home of Generous George the Red Monster.
    24/7 Live Chat Support - 99.9% Uptime - 30 Day Money Back Policy

Re: Re: Free Web Hosting from Yahoo!

Originally posted by belldoe
    It's only 5 page website + you need to pay to list your business in Yahoo! local.

Anyone serious about running their business online will continue to pay for professional web hosting. That's for sure!

PS: What can you bloody do with 5 page website? *lol* hahahaha
    A small company can do much with 5 pages. Where did you see that it is 5 pages?....I'm a little slow this morning...

-Lamar