Alienware.. disappoint me (again)

When I opened my laptop today, I noticed that my "1" key was loose. I tried to push it back in but it was no use. So, I called up my $300 Alienware support department and they "guided" me to removing the key. However, I removed the key and pushed it back in - with their instructions, and it still didn't work (only the top would connect.. the bottom hung out). They concluded that it was my misuse that would cause the key to pop out, and the only thing I could do was either: have a poping out 1 key, or buy a new key board set.

It's most unfortunate that the overprised system.. in addition to my extra extended support.. would not even cover the key board.

< end flame >
    www.Yekaroo.com - Your Chinese Radio Online!

Wow, that sucks. Keys fall of my dell laptop with some regularity, and they always cheerily send someone out to fix it, for free.
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

Send someone out to your house o_O?!.. that's insane

**Thinking twice about the "5 Star service" displayed in their client login**

Yep ... they have always sent someone out to put in a new keyboard on laptops. I don't think it's a "user serviceable part". I also always buy the complete care accidental coverage bs, this way if it falls off the desk, or something like that any damage is covered.
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

The only thing I have coverage on is my monitor. Plus I can upgrade to a newer model every year and only split the difference so the 70 bucks was worth it.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

I have had keys pop off of my Dell laptop also. I have always managed to get it back into place but usually it takes about 30-45 minutes to get it back in. They do not make it easy to put the keys back into place.

That’s awful … I can’t believe Alienware would be like that. How on earth do they keep sales when their after-sales support is like that?

Often times, when a key pops off and wont go back into place, one of the 'pegs' on the plastic 'hinge' underneath the key broke off, or one of the 'clasps' that holds onto the hinge peg on the key itself broke.

Dell sends out replacement keyboard for me, and I replace them myself. Then again, I work for the computer maintenace dept on my university campus, and we are a Dell certified service center, as well as a gateway certified service center. So they ship us parts, and we fix stuff ourselves.

IMO, Gateway makes far superior laptops compared to Dell, and has 10 times better support than Dell. But dell makes the most solid desktop system out there (Optiplex). And Dell's support is bounds ahead of anyone elses, just not up to par with Gateway.

Originally posted by Jay Suds
    Yep ... they have always sent someone out to put in a new keyboard on laptops. I don't think it's a "user serviceable part". I also always buy the complete care accidental coverage bs, this way if it falls off the desk, or something like that any damage is covered.
    Unfortunetly there's no "complete" package for alienware.. but i did pay for 3 year (the max) of warrenty

They said that I'd have to replace the entire key board my self.. not sure how'll that turn out

--> ordering new keys

Dell have always been good for me.

I was thinking once of ordering from AlienWare... now kinda glad i didnt
    Seeksadmin.com Owner: Providing Security, Administration and Optimization since 2001

Now Offering Windows Serivces.

Didn't Alienware start out as two guys in a garage? Sounds like someone needs a reality check, and might need a little reminding of where they came from. No matter how big you get, you should never forget that your customers make you who you are, and if it costs you 80 dollars to replace a part that would keep a customer happy.. then so be it. Especially considering the retail price of their laptops!

My old IBM Thinkpad 701CS 486DX75 is in the closet, too sluggish for most of today's applications. But at least the keys don't fall off.

I have had a keyboard since 1998 and not one key has fallen off. We've popped the keys before to clean all the grime, but thats it.
    Kerry Jones

I have not had a key fall of on one keyboard which is very old. Cant put a date on it. Right now using a Logitech keyboard which i am loving though.... and is brand new...
    Seeksadmin.com Owner: Providing Security, Administration and Optimization since 2001

In regards to keys on laptops, does anyone else have a problem with their fingers catching on the edge of keys when they're typing? I've got a Dell Inspiron laptop myself, and it seems that every now and then, I'll catch the edge of a key with my finger.. I'm actually surprised that I haven't ripped one off yet.

I had that problem with my old acer laptop

I juat bought my not long ago and hope this won't happen to me
    Off Topic Forum - An Off Topic discussion Forum.

Good thing I didn't purchase a system from them. Horrible support

I wouldn't say it's a problem with the support.. they're just following company procedures.

I wouldn't buy an alienware period... my brother built his own... cool case and overclocked to 3.06 GHz...
    Kerry Jones

I don't agree that their support are horrible..
    but I think it is very good. I had some problems with my credit card and cashier check, and are very friendly guide me what I can do and answer all the questions that I have.
    Off Topic Forum - An Off Topic discussion Forum.

Originally posted by chatnoir
    Good thing I didn't purchase a system from them. Horrible support
    If you didn't buy a system from them, how would you know that their support is horrible?

I have to admit, I have never purchased anything from Alienware (too overpriced for my taste) but to say that their support sucks is absurd, especially when you haven't even provided an explanation to your comment.

This is the first time that I have heard anything bad about Alienware's support to date. Diaga, I hope your issue becomes resolved.
    - Matt

I have an Airis laptop, its a really well built system the whole way through. The laptops relatively new, so I can't say I am lucky not having had a key fall off.

Anyway, it is indeed bad that a company like alienware have a childish attitude when it comes to customer support. Their systems are way overpriced so besides the looks, I'd expect superior quality as well.
    BeeServe
    * Rock solid shared & reseller UK webhosting. No downtime™ *
    Now offering fully managed VPS servers

I'll never buy another Alienware system. I've had so much trouble with their laptop optical drives. Three times now I've needed it replaced, and the current one that needs replaced is only 3 days old, just now installed it, but it wont burn DVD's.
    GotPing Internet
    www.gotping.com

Wow I really thought AlienWare was first class but it seems that people are posting bad things about them so often now on forums or is that just me?

I just can't believe dell has better warrenties then Alienware.
    - 7de5igns

Maybe I was just a lucky one, but I bought an alienware about 3 years ago. Its been the best computer I've ever own. I've never had any bad problems with it. I encountered a few software problems, but nothing to do with alienware

Even now, it runs great. It plays most of the games of today. World of warcraft runs great, and thats all that counts. lol.

Would I buy alienware again? Probably not. Its too expensive. If money is not an issue, I wouldn't think twice about it. I would buy immediatly. I was a little disappointed to see that Alienware has not sent me any decent deals since I'm already customer. They should offer a deal to previous buyers.

Originally posted by DT-Spirit
    I don't agree that their support are horrible..
    but I think it is very good. I had some problems with my credit card and cashier check, and are very friendly guide me what I can do and answer all the questions that I have.
    Yeah, because they probably want to get PAID