Sat internet vs t1 access

Hi!
    I like to plan ahead. I see the need for a bigger pipe...yet...DSL and Cable access are out of the question for this location, it seems. i would like to know if anybody here has any experiences..good/bad/ugly/whatever with sat internet and the serious stuff...T1's. It seems those two are the only options and..due to the trees..even sat is iffy. The really scary thing is this: The price is not so bad...but they want a three year commitment.

Any ideas/thoughts/whatever? I've got normal telephone line#2 coming in tomorrow...and I have two business lines following those shortly.

Thanks for the help in advance. I know somebody has some experiences to share on this.

Bryon

I thought SAT was slower than Cable ?

t1's come with a service level agreement. Thats the reason most companies get them as opposed to a cable/dsl connection that are cheaper but don't come with them.

I know sat connections suffer from a bit of lag.. so that may be an issue.
    Blog your life away
    http://photoblog.com

Re: Sat internet vs t1 access

Originally posted by bryonhost1
    It seems those two are the only options and..due to the trees..even sat is iffy. The really scary thing is this: The price is not so bad...but they want a three year commitment.
    Bryon
    They "want" a three-year commitment for a T1? I believe "want" is the operative word. Surely they have 1- and 2-year contract terms as well. If they don't, I would just walk and see if you can get another ISP that doesn't "want" that kind of term commitment.

I would only consider satellite Internet as a last resort. As in--there is no way to get a T1 provisioned. The lag is pretty horrendous, even on "business-class" satellite. T1 is better, faster, and the equipment to use it is cheap or, when bundled with term commitments, it's "free."

Hi!
    Thanks for the input. I terribly tempted to go ahead and place the order to see if they add backhaul charges as I once was told.

Here's a interesting twist to this: No hope for DSL or Cable..but...
    wireless is available. I just so happens I did get to take one of those for a test drive at a computer show. Not bad. What's more..Sprint is coming out with some new..something even faster.

if I know Sprint, they'll be dealing the deals with something new.
    I love this approach...completely different..I've about taken care of all the things that can go wrong. Hmmm...meteor fall...that's going be tough.

I still can't believe they only need two twisted pair to bring this in.
    The line conditioning they must have to do has got to be unreal.

Bryon
    Last edited by bryonhost1; 04-14-2005 at 11:35 PM.

How far are you away from the nearest place that offers wireless? Also, have you looked at bonded modems if your speed requirements are "massive"?
    Dan Sheppard ~ Freelance whatever

Hi!
    I'm not sure. I'm not sinking $200.00 into one of their fancy cards. No..I have decided to ask for a demo card...to see if it will work. My Sprint rep said they were looking at partial availability next month...I don't care about speed so much...I just want a backup to normal phone lines. Massive? No...not yet. Years ago...I remember they had a dualie modem...but I didn't really think they would still be around.

I will look into that...there are three phone lines here now.

THanks,

Bryon

They are still around, we used them a few years ago at a local school which was too far away for any High Speed. Since then, we moved into wireless territory using nice big microwave towers and smaller Cisco AeroNet's.
    Dan Sheppard ~ Freelance whatever

Hi!
    Excellent. I'll talk to Eart***** about it tomorrow. I need to talk with them anyway about something else...so...this will be something I can throw in too.

The Sprint wireless...if it actually works...looks very nice. There's no doubt in my mind I will eventually be able to justify a T1...but this will help fill the gap between now and...whenever. The wireless tech is called EV-DO. It promises high broadband-like speeds as available. I wouldn't mind at all shelling out $40.00/month to have a radial backup system and..perhaps...high speed sometimes.

Bryon

how fast is the satellite internet?