Do Not Call List.

A QUICK REMINDER...... In a few weeks, cell phone numbers
    are being released to telemarketing companies and you will start to receive sales calls. You will be charged for these calls.
    Call this number from your cell phone: 888-382-1222.
    It is the national DO NOT CALL list. It only takes a minute of your
    time and it will block your number for 5 years. Please pass this on to everyone you know who doesn't want to be hassled.
    You can also register by going to www.donotcall.gov
    Cutting Edge Hardware Reviews - FastLane Hardware Forums

We are and have been registered for years; a great thing indeed!

If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

Originally posted by CTG
    This is an urban legend folks:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/cell411.asp
    Thanks, CTG.
    The article states "Adding one's cell phone number to the National Do Not Call Registry (even if currently unnecessary) won't likely have any adverse effect, but customers should be aware of exactly what that action will or will not accomplish."
    I wonder if that is entirely true. I would be concerned that if I add my cell phone number to the Do Not Call Registry I might be making it available to the businesses that are exempt from compliance, i.e. charities, political campaigns, and polls.

I still get calls anyway from "non-profit" organizations, just as annoying as telemarketers. The do not call list should have included every type of unsolicited phone call from an organization.

I guess the best action to take would be to wait and see if you get spammed with calls, then register your cell on the list. We registered our home phone on this list, and we used to get 10-15 solicitations a day!!! Now we get maybe 3 a week. It worked pretty well for my home phone. Too bad we cant stop snail mail spam...I swear I get 10 credit card offers a week! Even for cards I already have

Originally posted by LinuxRick
    I still get calls anyway from "non-profit" organizations, just as annoying as telemarketers. The do not call list should have included every type of unsolicited phone call from an organization.
    Yeah. I know a guy who works in a call center and conducts telephone surveys. Since the "Do Not Call" list blocks only telemarketing calls, he is still free to call anyone in the phone book.

lol, yeah i just got a phone a few hours ago but thats nothing compared to the xxx a day i used to get.
    All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.

Unfortunately, the Do Not Call list doesn't work for business numbers -- 411'ed business numbers are pretty much fair game.

I know this, because I get at least 5 days/day from ppl on my business line - drives me crazy.

"You've been preapproved for refinancing your house with a 2.8% rate..."

What's funny... is that I don't even own a house... I rent an apartment. grrr...

well if aplus decides to call my cell phone through the whois they'll be sorry since i'm on the do not call for my cell phone.
    Kerry Jones

Originally posted by rockergrrl
    Unfortunately, the Do Not Call list doesn't work for business numbers -- 411'ed business numbers are pretty much fair game.

I know this, because I get at least 5 days/day from ppl on my business line - drives me crazy.

What's funny... is that I don't even own a house... I rent an apartment. grrr...
    Do you actually get people telling you that, or is it some sort of recording?

I still get calls anyway from "non-profit" organizations, just as annoying as telemarketers.
    Yeah, they're a lot harder to say no to. They use scripts that make you feel guilty if you don't donate.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

nah, the best thing to say is call 1800-****-you they may be able to assist you.
    Kerry Jones

Apparently a few companies have figured out that a non-profit can solicit telemarketing calls, then refer business their sister for-profit company. This certainly is intended to break the law in spirit.

The key is to get an unlisted number from day one. I just wish I knew why the phone company charges me every number NOT to list my number. Isn't that called extortion? Once I switch to Vonage they'll apparently offer this "service" for free.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

hehe to bad for them i dont have cellhpone ^_^
    www.DefyStudios.com ___Interactive Design

Originally posted by rockergrrl

My home phone is on the do-not-call list, but of course I still get called by the "non-profits". The politicians aren't going to close that loophole, because they are major misuser of that loophole.
    I recently started paying Qwest another $7/month for telemarketer screening. Maybe that could be used on a business number.

Many companies are starting to use "call capturing" technology. Regardless if you have caller ID block, the technology is able to capture your phone number (pizza joints have been using this technology for several years) and because you initiated the call to whatever business, it automatically allows these companies to telemarket to you making the do not call list obsolete.

Everyone says they hate telemarketing, yet it was a multi-billion dollar industry... go figure.

Originally posted by case
    . . . Everyone says they hate telemarketing, yet it was a multi-billion dollar industry... go figure.
    Yeah, the industry exists because it works, and it's just a numbers game. It's basically the same as spam, and the spammers know to play the numbers game too, to get their end result.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

Just listed all my numbers, been meaning to do it for a long time....the link made it easy.......Thanks

Originally posted by Disgruntled
    I would be concerned that if I add my cell phone number to the Do Not Call Registry I might be making it available to the businesses that are exempt from compliance, i.e. charities, political campaigns, and polls.
    Telemarketers are given only the list of phone numbers -- no nmaes, addresses, or other demographic information. So the list is pretty worthless as a source for numbers, since they can buy numbers with that kind of added information for so little -- or could just call all numbers sequentially.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

I wished the political associations could be added as well. The elections out here in Los Angeles are the biggest pain since no one can agree on anything

Originally posted by coreybryant
    I wished the political associations could be added as well. The elections out here in Los Angeles are the biggest pain since no one can agree on anything
    The politicians all agree that they don't want to deprive themselves of the use of telemarketers.

Originally posted by Disgruntled
    The politicians all agree that they don't want to deprive themselves of the use of telemarketers.
    Be that as it may, there's a less sinister reason why political campaigns and charities aren't covered: the Do Not Call list was created by the Federal Trade Commission as ordered by Congress, and the FTC has no legal jurisdiction over those kinds of organizations.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.