Thread: learning php

learning php

anybody have any suggestions as howto go about learning php besides reading the manual any tutorials site that you know of that break it down and explain the coding would be great

thx in advance
    Nick | BudgetVM
    1G | 10G | 40G | 100G Baremetal Servers
    Featuring Best in Class - In House DDOS Protection - No Voxility

forget a tutorial, just reference to the php manual if you need to help with something. The best way to learn is: open up an editor and start coding. Start simple, play around, do all kinds of different things, debug your scripts, etc. Learn by doing. This is honestly the best way to learn, you will pick it up very fast.

Also, read this, http://www.norvig.com/21-days.html
    Regards,
    Matthew Fonda
    PHP Developer

Also be sure to look at other developers' PHP scripts (start simple), modify them, play with them and see if you can understand how they are working from start to finish. It really helps you to envision how you would start and finish a PHP project.
    H4Y Technologies LLC .. Since 2001!!
    "Smarter, Cheaper, Faster" - SMB, Reseller, VPS, Dedicated, Colo hosting done right.

ZERO PACKETLOSS, ZERO DOWNTIME Dedicated and Colo - USA: IA, CA, NC, OR, NV
    **http://h4y.us** **http://iwfhosting.net**
    Voice: (866)435-5642. *** askus at host4yourself d0t com

The way I learnt was to make a script, for example, a news script. Then, add the comments ability to that script. Then, have a login system that allows users to post comments, and admins to post news. Then just keep developing and developing. After you have got the hang of scripts like that, try to make a whole site. Make a login system, news system, downloads system, message board system etc etc.

phpfreaks.com isn't a bad place to start learning.
    Also, a lot of trial and error will help - you only gain experience by trying, not reading.

PHPFreaks is good, yea.

Trying and messing around helps too.

I did find however that a book helped. But, that's just me. Many people don't prefer to either buy a book, or to learn from one.

i liked to use phpnoise.com there very good although their content is sometimes lacking

i'm starting to learn php too

way I learned was, back when I first started on the web, I modded ipb alot, and half the time I had to customize the code to work with the themes I had installed, and it just took off from there, it's always best to dive right in with things like this

Thumbs up

I learned PHP because a Teacher asked for a Project so the best way to learn is programming. In internet you can find many tutorials, manuals, etc. And if you have questions use the forums. There are many gurus that can help us.
    "All you need is a dream
    and Funio to host it"
    Ivan Fuentes
    www.funio.com