At what point do you just move on?

Ok,

I have to say that i have had a horribel run of hosting companies in the last year. Some good but most just bad.

1. IPB - hosted my first site, they were actually great. But i chewed up alot of resources and out grew them.

2. TotalCoiceHosting - these people started out awesome and have been my longest standing, but i got suspended several times for some silly stuff without even an email stating hey we have suspended you or anything, just come to teh site and it was down. In the end i was using alot of resources and they shut me down for abuse. They told me i needed to buy a dedicated server package (80+ dollars), or leave. They then proceeded to bill me for the next month 03-15-05 to 04-15-05, then in the worse april fools joke ever they cancelled my account and deleted my website on 04-01-05. Nothing to fight for, just move on.

3. Westhost - unique control panel, restrictive features. gave me a head ache trying to get my site to work. left them in a day or so.

4. Host Excellence - excellent plan, and 24/7 support, but when they sawthe traffic i intended on running, the contacted me and stated that their shared servers wouldnt be capable of handling that kinda of load. We parted ways and i moved on.

5. Ehost Depot - Hands down the worse hosting company ever. The pricing plans were great and they were linux/unix which is whati was looking for. They waived my setup fee and only chraged me 3 months in advance. From there it all went down hill. My server crashed on the third day and was getting DB errors. I submitted a tickt on 03-30-05 and a different one for another issue on 04-01-2005. I cancelled with them on 04-11-05 and neither ticket had been even touched. They promised a 15 minute to 24 hour response time on all tickets. Their support phone numbers only dumped u into a voicemail during all business hours. When i did finally speak to someone in regards to cancellation, as i had sent an email to cancell and recieved not even a canned response stating it would be done. They were rude about my refund, when i asked them not to be rude they yelled stated that that they were insulted that i called them rude and to boot they hung up on me. Later i recieved a response that my account was set for cancellation but that there were fees that they were posting against my account before i coupld get a refund. They owed me 65.85 for my monthly fee. They told me that because i was leaveing they were charging me the $25 they originally waived as a setup fee, and i had 2 days prior ordered domain pointing for 2 domains which was a yearly fee of $24 dollars, they said it was processed that morning and was non-refundable. Worse part was i hadnt even gotten to use my domain pointing yet. When i read the TOS and found no reference in their cancellation to it they said its company policy and my refund was gunna be 16 dollars. Screwed yet again. I gave up on these peopel and just wanted my account cancelled. I cut my losses.

6. Riothost - well i happily moved to this company after several days dialogue with customers and representatives. They responded to all my emails, my tickets were answered timely, the package was a tad bit smaller and a little more costlier. But they did offer a 14 day free trial no upfront fees charege. So today is day 5 of this trial and i am now in my 13th hour of a server crash. The hosting sites main site is down, and my website is down. Not too impressive or reassuring.

So the question at hand, i am not a profit site so im not losing sales,but with a repetive crashing of my site since january i cant say that my members are too thrilled. At what point do i abandon this host who has been down for 12 hours and find a new one. And any adive on a new host.

Here are the Minimums i need...i stress minimums:

Bandwidth - 50gb
    Disk space - 5gb
    Control panel - prefer cpanel or something real basic and easy to learn.
    Email - unlimited and non restrictive to the per account quota
    Fantastico scrypts - AS many as possible not needed but always nice
    Mysql DB - equal to disk usage not limited
    Sub domains - unlimited if possible
    Parked domains /add ons - i need at least a half dozen also preferable that i can park them as i please.

I need a good uptime, and more importantly i need some damn support that is there or at least responsive to my tickets.

I dont think thats asking for a whole lot lol.

how about a vps, it seems that a shared environment won't work for you.
    Webair Internet Development Inc.
    Shared Hosting Managed Dedicated Servers SEO
    1.866.WEBAIR.1 www.webair.com 24/7/365 Support Adult Friendly
    My comments do not reflect the views of the company or its management.

Wanga,

I don't see that as a problem - those aren't really huge requirements.

menttal,

I would recommend finding an alternate host if the current one doesn't have an amazing reason for the 12 hours of downtime.

By now the damage is already done unless they've previously wronged you so might as well at least stick around to hear their excuse.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

HP-David,

Although his requirements aren't huge, it appears as if he may be running something cpu intensive that a shared enviroment isn't working for him.

He's been with several hosting companies.

I could be wrong though.

well we are getting to the 15th hour here at teh 2pm est time frame. Their servers just got kicked back online but now all im getting is 404 errors. Im holding my breath because i logged into my control panel and all my info was deleted. So i have nothing at the moment. I am hanging around for an explanation. Im dieing to hear what it is. I mean respectively their main website and support forums, and email were also down and suffering the same issue.

Originally posted by wanga
    HP-David,

Although his requirements aren't huge, it appears as if he may be running something cpu intensive that a shared enviroment isn't working for him.

He's been with several hosting companies.

I could be wrong though.
    Wanga?
    Well the 2 hosts that had the issues state that my site sends far too many hits to teh sql server, more then they can reasonable handle from one site plus teh remaining on our server. They told me it was an abuse of resources. When i quoted their specs to other shared hosts several also said they wouldnt be able to assit me.

HP - David?
    so you dont think i should go VPS because my requirements arent too huge? im hopping around the vps section here but i also submitted for some quotes too. Ive always seen your site quoted everywhere by hsots and people discussing hosts but i ve always wondered what WHT is lol.

Well the 2 hosts that had the issues state that my site sends far too many hits to teh sql server, more then they can reasonable handle from one site plus teh remaining on our server. They told me it was an abuse of resources. When i quoted their specs to other shared hosts several also said they wouldnt be able to assit me.
    It is for that reason which I suggest a VPS, maybe even a dedicated server.

You may also try one of the smaller hosting companies as they may not have as many people sharing one server which will allow you to use more rescources.

menttal,

I had thought the quotes you posted were for something else alltogether actually - I had thought the reason behind this issue was just a pathetic host alltogether.

Looking into a VPS wouldn't be a bad idea but I have a feeling the past few hosts had just given you a run around due to their low quality/speed hardware, and you were effecting them.

Just make sure any host you're going to use has a money back guarantee, a history of having no issues actually refunding clients - and great support.

Research, research, research!
    You'll come out better in the end - test them.

The problem is that you're in a hard spot now that your data is missing, your host isn't responding and you won't have too much time to get too much thorough research done.

Just a few to check into:

site5.com
    dreamhost.com
    hostrocket.com

I've had experience with all three - I still have an account with hostrocket and they are running a very resource intensive site on my behalf.

What exactly are you looking for budgetwise, that is?

Ive always seen your site quoted everywhere by hsots and people discussing hosts but i ve always wondered what WHT is lol.
    - What do you mean?
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

It is hard to determine whether or not your request is unreasonable or not without knowing your budget.

So what is your budget?
    SuperWebHost.com, a Digitally Justified Company
    Celebrating our 9th year in Business

Proudly Hosting with CANADIAN bandwidth
    Managed Hosting, Multi-Domain Hosting, Colocation, Merchant Accounts

Originally posted by VanHost
    It is hard to determine whether or not your request is unreasonable or not without knowing your budget.

So what is your budget?
    Well there were crappy hosts as well the ones that i dont begrudge are the ones that told me upfront they couldnt handle it.

Ill check out teh sites listed. I have to say ive only been on the site an hour or so and i have recieved some good info and been in contact with so many good people. I have a lead im gunna try for now 30 day trial and if it pans out i will stay with them and praise them highly. If not well...lets hope i dont have anymore bad experiences. lol

Someone asked about my budget. I would prefer to keep it resonably cheap 10-30 but i will go up to 50 if the package is worth it,a nd teh support is reliable. My site is non profit so its not like im making money to pay my fees. Thats why i cant afford dedicated servers that run 100+ dollars. Even most VPS are too expensive. plus im a novice to the whole industry ive been around for a year only.

Ive googled most companies but they dont all have reviews...and after teh TCH issue i spent 10 days getting a new host only to come up with a lemon or two.

menttal,

That is quite a budget - if it is monthly you should have absolutely no issue finding an amazing host for your website.

Keep looking - don't jump into anything too quickly (if your current host is back up) but don't stick around for a reoccurance, did they happen to give you any reason for the downtime?
    David

I would consider a VPS solution...
    P4HOST.COM -- Specialize in quality Web Hosting solutions.
    Affordable -- Prices are very comparative
    Reliable -- Very low load average guaranteed. 60 day money back. Fast Support --Support Forum -- Providing hosting since 2003

You could try one of the premium accounts at Micfo. They are fast and reliable, in my experience. And do have the Fantastico...
    Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

Originally posted by HP-David
    menttal,

That is quite a budget - if it is monthly you should have absolutely no issue finding an amazing host for your website.

Keep looking - don't jump into anything too quickly (if your current host is back up) but don't stick around for a reoccurance, did they happen to give you any reason for the downtime?
    Well servers are online and i have access to my control panel...only issue is that its a clean slate with no database.

we are about 40 minutes from a full 24 hours, no one that i know that is hosted by them is only...and that includes the main site for them as well. just 404 errors and mysql db not available errors.

menttal,

I would recommend getting out of there as fast as possible - espescially if their control panel is cleaned (you've lost all that is possible to lose now - if you leave now you'll at least keep your sanity).
    David

I recommend PowerVPS, if you don't need cPanel, their $25 plan will do:

Fedora Core-2
    Equal share CPU
    Webmin/Usermin
    256MB Burst RAM
    128MB RAM guaranteed
    5GB Disk Space
    100GB Monthly Transfer
    2 IP numbers
    Power Panel
    Your own name servers
    Unlimited domains

I have had a great experience with PowerVPS and would highly recommend them.
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Including an RSS feed that you can syndicate!
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Unlimited vs. Unmetered bandwidth

2am EST the info has been restored to my Cpanel. They finally sent me an email. Here is what they said happened.

This is a quick message to inform you of problems with your account. Last night (4/12) at approximately 12:30 a.m. Eastern Time the server your account was hosted on crashed due to Hard Drive malfunction. It is not clear what caused the Hard Drive to malfunction as of yet, but we will send it to the manufacturer to determine the cause once everything else is complete.

So far we have been able to retieve all public_html files (all accounts) from the old hard drive and move them to the new drive. The only issue we are currently having is with the mySQL Databases. That area of the hard drive is giving us major ISO problems, but so far we are able to pull data out one by one. If any areas of your site utilize a mySQL or Postgre Database you will receive a "Connection Failure" or "Critical Error: Could not connect to database" because your account's mySQL or Postgre database has not been pulled from the old hard drive over to the new drive.

We will post an official statement and information regarding Account Credits to be issued once the mySQL information has been completely moved.

Originally posted by HP-David
    I don't see that as a problem - those aren't really huge requirements.
    Those aren't huge requirements for sure, but any fudged up script or mysql abusing script will get the account suspended and that's with the account not even going anywhere near it's disk and data transfer limits.
    YourCheapHost.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. [Legal adult content friendly]
    Reliable web site hosting is our motto. We have Alertra stats to back that up.
    Proven provider of high quality shared and reseller accounts since 2002.

menttal,

Other than the delayed response - they seem to be handling it all right.

See what you can get for an account credit - it may be worth your while to stick around.
    David

well they claim all is back online but all i get when i try to access my site is the following. Some hacked logo from some guy. My members have seen it and can get in. I also can no longer access my cpanel. i was able to at 10 am when i made teh database copy but now...no idea.

http://www.xthost.info/fxxxmaster/index.html

As previously recommended, you probably would fair well with a vps. Powervps is a great company with great support. You will save alot of money not having to buy tylenol for the ongoing headaches you have experienced.
    Three out of four people make up 75 percent of the population

Originally posted by menttal
    well they claim all is back online but all i get when i try to access my site is the following. Some hacked logo from some guy. My members have seen it and can get in. I also can no longer access my cpanel. i was able to at 10 am when i made teh database copy but now...no idea.

http://www.xthost.info/fxxxmaster/index.html
    ROFL... disk errors... I bet, that's what you usually get when your box has been cracked and the cracker rm's data...

menttal, your server has clearly been compromised. The question is whether it was root-level (looks likely based on the downtime + the cracker's exploit page being restored) or account level.

May I ask what you're running on your site? I don't understand what you are running that would kick up 50 GB+ of bandwidth/month. Most sites do under 1 GB/month -- and 1 GB/month is high. I am just trying to figure out if this is a local exploit (just on your site) or if it server-wide and you're just a bystander. Do you do MySQL? Forums? If so, which forum (including version) do you run? Any nuke-type CMS stuff?

I will be honest, the requirements you mention are steep and are definitely larger than any reputable host would put on a shared server. You can try a VPS but I will be brutally honest, the low-end VPS at PowerVPS will be too small based on your descriptions -- your sites are going to run like molasses. You could try on the 2nd-sized package. However I do think you might be looking at a site that needs a small dedicated server. I'm sorry, I know that's not in your budget, but it's not the host's nor the community's responsibility to suck up and run a "not profit" site. If the resources are being used, someone has to pay for them. I mean, gas stations don't give gas away for free just because you're driving your car for a not-profit purpose... same principle. Resources cost money.

I think your clue is here. You're way beyond shared or even small VPS hosting. Your project is great and obviously you are committed to it, sounds like it is time to get proactive about generating some income to pay for the hosting that your visitors are obviously liberally using. Is it really fair that your visitors are taking and taking and sticking you with the bill? No. In the same way I don't think it's fair to expect a host to foot the bill for your project when it clearly needs dedicated-level resources. $10-50/month doesn't even cover the hardware, transit and data center costs. It's a serious project, give it the resources it needs. Until then, you will continue to have frustrating experiences. Unfortunately that's just the facts.

For what it's worth, there are a lot of people in your position. I have no idea what your site is about, but I have never met a site that couldn't somehow make money from its visitor base. If you have a site doing 50 GB/month in data transfer, you should be able to recoup your costs and pay for your time. Think outside the box.

Just my opinion

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

OK, from Google cache:

Welcome to XT Host - free instant webhosting

XT Host offers:
    - 30MB webspace,
    - browser and ftp upload,
    - ad-free webhosting,
    - no registration required
    - short domain: xthost.info/username,
    - for free.
    just pick a username and click create
    As long as you build your operation so that collecting money isn't necessary, nobody's going to pay you, and you're not going to have the funds to pay for your service.

30 MB... good heavens. Try offering 5 MB for free and then it's a pay-upgrade to 30, 50, 100.

*** My other reason for posting (sorry I forgot before)... before embarking upon a VPS or dedicated server, make sure you know how to administer a Linux server. If you don't know how to, hire someone to do it for you. Obviously we have a history here of server compromise and we don't know where or why... make sure you don't bring the problem with you to your VPS, because the crackers will follow you and hork up your VPS. At that point it will be your responsibility to clean up and not your host's....

I do see your forums are running fine: http://dhost.info/forums/index.php?showforum=1

Are these the forums creating too many MySQL connections? This is a common issue with Invision Board -- IPB is resource intensive. You will need to tweak its config so that it does not make so many MySQL queries. Also, once you are on your own server/VPS, you will be able to disable persistant MySQL connections at the server level (there are 2 settings to make this happen) which will reduce your load on the server quite a bit.

This is just for IPB, I don't know what else you've got running behind the scenes.

Anyway it looks like you're giving away the world for a smile rearrange your business plan, adjust your packages, and work more room into your model to make money and pay for the resources being fairly used ...

Hosting is a business. Best of luck, hope they are able to recover your data properly...

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

Thanks for the input. First off. That link is soo not my forum. No idea who that is. Second, last year teh average bandwidth used was 23 gigs and highest was 32 gigs in any given month. i did about 2 million hits a month, 5k unique visitors. The upload space is due to images, database, and email. Up until now ive only run a Forum. I have enjoyed some popularity, before i started pruning and making changes our highest registerd count was 600 currently with the new site we have recouped 100 in a week from new launch on a clean forum, a crazy week that holds soo many errors and frustration.

My site is very practical actually its simply an Online gaming community that has evolved into a pure community. 50% of them visit for gaming info and conversation and the other half visit for conversations about life with the people they have known know via my site for a year. Last year we did a little over 150k in posts. Ive only ever had just the forums and thinking out of teh box i have embarked on adding a front end and some other stuff to try and drive traffic and help pay the bills, via ads or whatever i can find.. Even though I dont charge them anything they have been helpful. I asked for donations to purchase a perpetual license from IPB which is the forum that we use and all i need was 185 and they managed to donate $300, i used teh remainder to pay the bills for teh site. They always randomly donate as i usually have a donation paypal icon on my site. little here and there, nothing set.

I spoke to wanga and he explained the VPS and im soo not prepared for that cause im a novice. I was just a guy given a good concept and got lucky with word of mouth advertising, it now covers US, Canada, Puerto Rico, Mexico, UK, and Australia, and a couple of other random countries hits too but thats teh bulk of it.. I dont need more then probably 50-60 gigs band width a month but i was preparing for a possible boost in traffic. I do need the disk space cause it falls into the plans to help alliviate my financial burden.

I would love a VPS or even a dedicated server but its monthly cost is expensive and im no where even close to being able to admin one on my own, that means trusting and paying someone to do it.

As far as the hacker. I have no idea why they would wnat to. Nothign special on teh site that i can think of, so if its just my account they wont get much. Now i find it more likely that they may have just attacked teh entire network while it was vulnerable and riothost was down. But i dunno not my area of expertise. They did manage to lock me out of my account which pissed me off and i went ahead and cancelled anyway.

Here is my sites temporary url while it propigates. if anyone wants to poke around and see what its about, it may help in pointing me in the right direction. Guests are welcome to see the whole site u just need to register to post.

TheHydeout.com

Thanks again for everyones input. Ive learne dalot in the last 24 hours believe it or not that may help me ultimately make teh best choice over all.

Originally posted by wanga
    how about a vps, it seems that a shared environment won't work for you.
    Why not? We have a site using up to 300GB-400GB/month.

Mental: 12 hours is a tad long for any type of outage. I suggest you find out the cause and see if that's acceptable to you. If not, just move on. There's no losses to cut either.
    Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts!
    http://www.sprintserve.net
    Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting |
    Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management |

Originally posted by sprintserve

Mental: 12 hours is a tad long for any type of outage. I suggest you find out the cause and see if that's acceptable to you. If not, just move on. There's no losses to cut either.
    well total down time was like 26-27 hours when it all came down to it. I am moving on, thats decided. But to what is the current decision at hand, and at what cost per month. I have to be realistic here and go for what will keep my site running without issue. I know nothing is perfect but i think i need to better select my host as this seems to be a crap shoot most of teh time.

What type of site is it? How much do you expect someone to pay for that type of usage?

Figured id come back and update everyone on how things have gone since the thread died down. I have found a new host that i am more then happy with. As far as ehostdepot and my financial dispute. as i figured they have yet to return any of the money, not even the 16 bucks they claimed were due to me. I mean thier business behavior was bad but i mean its sad that you cant even keep your own word. Since it was paypal i wasnt really able to get anything back so im out 65+ dollars for 3 weeks of crappy service. Live and learn. I hope in some way or form this helps someone else out in teh future, we hosting noobs have to stick together.